Sign in with
Your question

What's a good XFX 5770 third party cooler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2011 11:20:32 PM

The stock cooler is a joke.
Its loud, and does not keep the card cool.
57C on idle, 97C on load.
What's a good low noise GPU cooler.
I replaced CPU coolers before, but I'm not sure which to pick for the XFX 5770.
a c 88 à CPUs
June 11, 2011 2:58:10 AM

that shouldnt happen with any stock cooler. You should look at getting adequate case ventillation in the form of multiple case fans. Is it a brand new card? if not, clean the dust from the heatsink and re-seat with better thermal paste. I would do those things first before finding another heatsink that will cost half of what a new card would cost.
m
l
June 11, 2011 1:47:40 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
that shouldnt happen with any stock cooler. You should look at getting adequate case ventillation in the form of multiple case fans. Is it a brand new card? if not, clean the dust from the heatsink and re-seat with better thermal paste. I would do those things first before finding another heatsink that will cost half of what a new card would cost.

Thank you for the reply iam2thecrowe,
I have Full ATX HAF 932 case so the ventillation is not the problem here.
The card is around 5 months old so its not that old.
There is also no dust inside the card. I have checked.
I'm not sure that replacing the thermal paste will lower the heat down on a major scale.
The stock cooler is also very loud and obnoxious.
I can't stand it anymore.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 2:19:48 PM

I had a 5770 with stock and it sounded like a leafblower. I feel your pain.
m
l
June 11, 2011 2:56:46 PM

Martin 71 said:
I had a 5770 with stock and it sounded like a leafblower. I feel your pain.

Looks like I will be going with the ARCTIC COOLING Accelero L2 Pro Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler for nVIDIA and ATI.
Cheap and effective.
Any other suggestions
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
June 11, 2011 11:28:38 PM

yeah, you could always rig a big case fan blowing directly over the card, if you dont already. those cards should not get up to 97C under any circumstances, not even with furmark, unless ambient temp is like 40C. Sometimes stock cards have appauling heat sink paste and the person who attached the heatsink didn't do it properly. Go get some AS5 thermal paste or similar, remove the heatsink and old thermal paste, then reapply new thermal paste and reassemble the card. can you tell me the exact model you have, is it the one shown here? > http://xfxforce.com/es/products/graphiccards/hd%205000s... , if it is,then i can understand how that heatsink would do SFA, get a new heatsink.
m
l
June 11, 2011 11:59:35 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
yeah, you could always rig a big case fan blowing directly over the card, if you dont already. those cards should not get up to 97C under any circumstances, not even with furmark, unless ambient temp is like 40C. Sometimes stock cards have appauling heat sink paste and the person who attached the heatsink didn't do it properly. Go get some AS5 thermal paste or similar, remove the heatsink and old thermal paste, then reapply new thermal paste and reassemble the card. can you tell me the exact model you have, is it the one shown here? > http://xfxforce.com/es/products/graphiccards/hd%205000s... , if it is,then i can understand how that heatsink would do SFA, get a new heatsink.

The exact model is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would reapply the thermal paste, then again I can't stand the loud and obnoxious fan.
Plus, people are saying that the, RCTIC COOLING Accelero L2 Pro Fluid Dynamic VGA, is low noise and effective.
m
l
!