Sign in with
Your question

Bios not detecting SSD

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2012 9:54:22 PM

So, I am not sure if I am having really bad luck or if something is wrong with my motherboard drivers/bios or what.

I purchased a OCZ Vertex 2 Sata II 60 GB SSD and installed it several months ago and my computer was constantly crashing/hanging and I narrowed it down to a problem with the SSD. I sent back the SSD to OCZ and they sent me another one which appeared to solve the hanging/crashing problems. However, after only a few months usage my computer crashed one day and upon restart would no longer boot. I tried reformatting the SSD and installing the OS (windows 7) on it again, however no matter what I tried I could not get it to complete the install (it would hang). I successfully installed the OS on my other hard drive (not a SSD). So I sent in the OCZ SSD in again and just recived the replacement in the mail.

Once again I am having problems. They sent me a replacement drive that is an upgrade (OCZ 60 GB Sata3 agility 3) however my system will not boot if the drive is plugged in. On the BIOS startup screen it does not show that the drive is being detected. If the new SSD is plugged in and I just try to boot from my existing (old non SSD) or the windows 7 Install CD the whole system is extremely slow (I mean really slow to the point I can not tell if it is hanging or just being slow). If I unplug the drive my system appears to boot and function normally.

From what I have read it appears the sata3 drive should be backwards compatible with my MoBo, is this correct?

I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how I might get the drive to work on my system. Due to this being my 3rd drive from OCZ I am wondering if it might be a problem with my system and possibly not the drive? How can I go about troubleshooting this?

My System Specs are as follows:

Motherboard: M68MT-S2P rev 3.1 Bios updated to FC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333Mhz X2
Windows 7 64bit

More about : bios detecting ssd

a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 10:20:47 PM

Did u upgrade the firmware?
m
l
August 12, 2012 10:27:44 PM

I upgraded the motherboard Bios to the most recent update, is that what you mean by firmware? Is there other firmware I can try updating?
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 10:33:43 PM

I am talking about the SSD firmware.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 10:35:38 PM

What FW do u have?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 10:38:52 PM

*CURRENT FIRMWARE RELEASE is v1.37

I have Vertex 2 55GB. Works fine for more than 2 years.
m
l
August 12, 2012 10:49:37 PM

so, my next question is is how would I update the firmware if I can get my system to boot while the drive is plugged in?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 10:53:00 PM

Thats the thing. It has to be booted from another HDD.

Do u have access to another PC where iu can plug your SSD in and perform the upgrade?
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:14:48 PM

No, I do not have another computer to try it on...

My computer will start up as expected if the drive is NOT connected, however if the drive is connected I can not get it to start up all the way, and this is the only PC I have
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 11:21:57 PM

OK, is that your system drive? Is windows on it?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 11:22:48 PM

Do u have another drive that u can put windows on, boot from it and that will allow u to upgrade.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 12:08:10 AM

Hanging during the installation of Windows 7 is nearly always due to problem memory and has probably nothing to do with the SSD. Run memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:12:30 AM

Thanks for all your help you guys...

Quote:
Do u have another drive that u can put windows on, boot from it and that will allow u to upgrade.

Yeah, i currently am running windows on my other drive. My system works ok until I try and start it up with the SSD attached. I do not have any other drives or computers to trouble shoot with.

Quote:
Hanging during the installation of Windows 7 is nearly always due to problem memory and has probably nothing to do with the SSD. Run memtest86 for at least three passes to test the memory.

I will have to look into this, however I am skeptical that this is the problem as I can install windows on my other drive (non SSD) just fine
m
l
August 14, 2012 9:05:54 AM

I have concluded that SSD is bad and will try and get it replaced. Thanks for your help.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 9:37:40 AM

Try to hook it to another PC to see if that will have same issues.
m
l
!