Photos of Atlanta Race Weekend

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 23, 2005 2:24:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If you're
into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit repetitive.
Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
what I think are great pics through out.

These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR camera,
so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little practice
but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.

I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in the
root gallery.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005

Here are the rest of the galleries.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_track
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_pit_road
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/pit_stops
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/drivers
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/crash
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/prerace
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/trackside
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/tires

Enjoy and as always comments are more then welcome.

Thanks, again to all those who gave their advice last week. It was very
helpful.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Enjoy and as always comments are more then welcome.

Since you did a nice job panning, I'd suggest an even longer shutter
time to enhance the motion (1/100 .. 1/60 .. 1/30). Subject is about speed.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/41147201 emphasizes speed quite
well, a longer shutter speed would do even better if you're smooth.

Also do the opposite. Take a few frames of blurred cars, static
background, just to vary your portfolio a bit.

Some wider angle shots and/or shots of groups of cars battling it out
would have been nice (A lone leader is fine but the battles for 2nd/3rd
place may be more exciting in a photo).

I also liked your red and yellow tire shots, as well as your other
environment shots for the set.

For the B-1B, CH-47, and C-130 in a wide metering mode against the sky
you should have thrown on +1.7 to + 2.0 stops of EXP COMP. Instead you
got not so sharp silhouettes. Better yet, find an exposure that works,
set manual and copy the settings over ... consistency in exposure makes
a set look even better.

Cheers,
Alan.

March 23, 2005 2:50:12 PM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
> few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If you're
> into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit repetitive.
> Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
> what I think are great pics through out.

> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner

You should have got him in mid backflip :-)

Great shots !
March 23, 2005 3:27:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Thanks for the feed back Alan, see my comments inline.

news:D 1s69o$de0$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Enjoy and as always comments are more then welcome.
>
> Since you did a nice job panning, I'd suggest an even longer shutter time
> to enhance the motion (1/100 .. 1/60 .. 1/30). Subject is about speed.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/41147201 emphasizes speed quite well,
> a longer shutter speed would do even better if you're smooth.

The one you pointed out was done the second day after I got more comfortable
with panning. I did deliberately cut the shutter speed back to get more
blur, however, as you can see the pic is a bit out of focus. Practice,
practice, practice I guess. I'm going to Richmond VA twice this year so
I'll get more practice there.

> Also do the opposite. Take a few frames of blurred cars, static
> background, just to vary your portfolio a bit.

I'll try that out.

> Some wider angle shots and/or shots of groups of cars battling it out
> would have been nice (A lone leader is fine but the battles for 2nd/3rd
> place may be more exciting in a photo).

I have a few of those in the On The Track gallery but I find the cars get
lost in the picture. Richmond is a smaller track so I was going to try to
get some closer shots of closer racing. Problem is those races are at night
so that just adds additional challenges.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_track

> I also liked your red and yellow tire shots, as well as your other
> environment shots for the set.

Thanks, I like those tire shots as well. My father, who was with me,
thought I was nuts. ;-) My personal favorite is this one,
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/41145959. The original full size image
is very crisp and the color is great. It could have used a bit more DoF but
I like it just the same.

> For the B-1B, CH-47, and C-130 in a wide metering mode against the sky you
> should have thrown on +1.7 to + 2.0 stops of EXP COMP. Instead you got
> not so sharp silhouettes. Better yet, find an exposure that works, set
> manual and copy the settings over ... consistency in exposure makes a set
> look even better.

Here is another thing I want to learn. I have not played much with EXP COMP
while shooting. I understand the concept but I'm not too sure where and
when to apply it. I have other pics of planes and they all do look the
same; silhouetted in the sky. I've played with the RAW images in Capture
One but haven't really been able to do much. I guess I'm going to have to
spend a day or two at the airport and just try different things with the
camera. I will go back to the RAW images and see if I can find a more
consistent set of adjustments and apply them to all the air pics.

Thanks again,
--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Here is another thing I want to learn. I have not played much with EXP COMP
> while shooting. I understand the concept but I'm not too sure where and
> when to apply it. I have other pics of planes and they all do look the

A basic understanding of the great weakness of camera exposure meters is
required: The meter thinks everything is 18% grey. So shooting a light
subject results in underexpsoure; shooting a dark subject results in
over exposure. The metering mode screws this up further when in wide
(matrix) views against simple subjects like aircraft in the sky (works
fine for the auto shots as there's a good mix of scene tones.

Put your camera in spot meter mode. Meter things against worn asphalt
(pretty close to 18% grey). You'll get the idea... the only 'good'
exposure for a given light is that of the 18% grey. Test various
subjects in the same light against 18% grey.

That's the basic 120 second course.

Once you get this in your system you'll find yourself figuring the light
out for a given scene, setting it manual and shooting for consistency in
exposure. Most cameras now have a means for keeping the exposure while
trading f/stops for shutter speed for composition reasons.

Cheers,
Alan.

March 23, 2005 4:00:19 PM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
>> few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If
>> you're
>> into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit
>> repetitive.
>> Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
>> what I think are great pics through out.
>
>> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner
>
> You should have got him in mid backflip :-)

If you look carefully, I did. Unfortunately, (and I have no idea why) I
pulled back on the zoom so the shot isn't as tight as I'd like.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/41148300

> Great shots !

Thanks

--

Rob

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:55:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <MqidnRLRrOq6BdzfRVn-rQ@giganews.com>,
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
> few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If you're
> into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit repetitive.
> Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
> what I think are great pics through out.
>
> These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR camera,
> so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little practice
> but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.
>
> I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in the
> root gallery.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005
>
> Here are the rest of the galleries.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_track
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_pit_road
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/pit_stops
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/drivers
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/crash
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/prerace
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/trackside
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/tires
>

> Enjoy and as always comments are more then welcome.

Road Atlanta is also a fun venue there.

I have to ask though, where are the pictures of the Georgia Peaches?

;-D

Mike
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 7:41:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:27:55 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Robert R Kircher,
Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>practice, practice I guess. I'm going to Richmond VA twice this year so
>I'll get more practice there.

If you like road racing at all, I highly recommend trying to get to the
Rolex VIR 400 Oct 9th. VIR is an awesome track with great photo ops.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 23, 2005 9:15:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:24:11 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
<rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
>few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If you're
>into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit repetitive.
>Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
>what I think are great pics through out.
>
>These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR camera,
>so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little practice
>but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.
>
>I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in the
>root gallery.
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005
>
>Here are the rest of the galleries.
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_track
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_pit_road
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/pit_stops
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/drivers
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/crash
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/prerace
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/trackside
>http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/tires

Good head shots. I didn't know there were female drivers in NASCAR.
-Rich
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 11:20:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

news:D 1susu$4ej$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> RichA wrote:
>
>> Good head shots. I didn't know there were female drivers in NASCAR.
>
> Paul Tracy doesn't drive NASCAR.

Actually Paul and Richard Childress Racing have been doing the dance for
some time now. There are always heavy rumors that Paul will make the jump
to NASCAR in a RCR car.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

news:D 1saj3$2s2$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Put your camera in spot meter mode.

Minor point: 300D doesn't have it.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:10:32 AM

Dave R knows who wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 1saj3$2s2$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
>>Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>

>>Put your camera in spot meter mode.
>

> Minor point: 300D doesn't have it.

I thought you had a camera? ;-)

Same advice as before, just use the weighted metering. Close enough if
you're closer to what you're metering.

March 24, 2005 2:34:13 AM

In message <MqidnRLRrOq6BdzfRVn-rQ@giganews.com>
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

> These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR camera,
> so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little practice
> but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.
>
> I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in the
> root gallery.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005
>
> Here are the rest of the galleries.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_the_track
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/on_pit_road
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/pit_stops
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/drivers
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/crash
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/the_winner
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/prerace
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/trackside
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/tires

Superb first NASCAR track experience! My first
trip to the California Speedway (with a 300D)
pales in comparison. (not jealous...not jealous ;^)

Re The aircraft photos: That's what they look
like in person. Mine came out the same way at
the after Rose Parade float viewing with a
government supplied light gray white-out sky.

I prefer realism when it comes to the stealth
aircraft, others prefer "snap and pop".

Jeff
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:30:06 PM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Actually Paul and Richard Childress Racing have been doing the dance for
> some time now. There are always heavy rumors that Paul will make the jump
> to NASCAR in a RCR car.

Real men drive F-1.

(Runs... I really don't care about auto racing. Although I did take up
a corporate hosted ride on the Texas Speedway (regular auto no more
thatn 110 mph) and I still regret not taking the ride in an actual stock
car. [at night, in a pack of about 6 or 8 other cars ... looked like a
blast]).

March 24, 2005 2:32:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

news:D 1umdp$5tp$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Actually Paul and Richard Childress Racing have been doing the dance for
>> some time now. There are always heavy rumors that Paul will make the
>> jump to NASCAR in a RCR car.
>
> Real men drive F-1.
>

> (Runs... I really don't care about auto racing. Although I did take up a
> corporate hosted ride on the Texas Speedway (regular auto no more thatn
> 110 mph) and I still regret not taking the ride in an actual stock car.
> [at night, in a pack of about 6 or 8 other cars ... looked like a blast]).

Its not a question of real men or which is better. IMHO They are different.
F1 results can often be determined prior to the race based on more static
strategies of things like fuel loads, pit strategies, etc. This is not a
bad thing. It's like playing a masters game of chess. On the other hand,
oval racing tends to be a more fluid form of racing where strategies have to
remain very flexible through out a race. Thinking, reacting and adapting to
an ever changing set of events and environment often affect the results over
some predefined race strategy.

In any event, I love all forms of motor racing and would love opportunities
to photograph different forms. But alas I don't see myself getting out to
Indy or over seas to photograph an F1 race. However, I will get a chance to
do a IRL race this year. Open wheel, but another oval race.

And BTW: if the opportunity ever presents itself for me to drive any race
car, I'd take it in a heart beat. ;-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Its not a question of real men or which is better. IMHO They are different.
> F1 results can often be determined prior to the race based on more static

Don't take me too seriously. I *REALLY* don't care about auto racing, I
couldn't debate the merits of one over the merits of the other.

Paul Tracy could almost never win when Villeneuve (jr) was in the same
league (whatever its called). When Villeneuve left for F-1 then
suddenly Tracy's star could finally rise on occasion. ;-)

> strategies of things like fuel loads, pit strategies, etc. This is not a
> bad thing. It's like playing a masters game of chess. On the other hand,
> oval racing tends to be a more fluid form of racing where strategies have to
> remain very flexible through out a race. Thinking, reacting and adapting to
> an ever changing set of events and environment often affect the results over
> some predefined race strategy.

One thing that strikes me as silly is the qualifying round gets the top
car and racer to the pole position. AFAIC the more races you win, the
more you should have to start deeper in the pack and prove you are a
winner. Not have a tam mate spoiling attempts to catch and pass you (as
is sometimes the case in F1).

Cheers,
Alan.

March 24, 2005 10:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <d1v2iv$1q$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,

>Don't take me too seriously. I *REALLY* don't care about auto racing, I
>couldn't debate the merits of one over the merits of the other.

[and then proceeds to do exactly that :-)]

I won't address the points raised here (even though I could drag
it back vaguely on-topic; I use my DSLR to shoot mostly motorsports).

If anybody cares, I'd be happy to discuss it in an appropriate forum.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:21:09 PM

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D 1v3v4$jat$1@reader1.panix.com...
> In article <d1v2iv$1q$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>Don't take me too seriously. I *REALLY* don't care about auto racing, I
>>couldn't debate the merits of one over the merits of the other.
>
> [and then proceeds to do exactly that :-)]
>

> I won't address the points raised here (even though I could drag
> it back vaguely on-topic; I use my DSLR to shoot mostly motorsports).
>
> If anybody cares, I'd be happy to discuss it in an appropriate forum.

I would suggest rec.autos.sport.nascar or rec.autos.sport.f1

nascar would be my first choice. ;-)

--

Rob

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:21:09 PM

John Francis wrote:

> In article <d1v2iv$1q$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Don't take me too seriously. I *REALLY* don't care about auto racing, I
>>couldn't debate the merits of one over the merits of the other.
>

> [and then proceeds to do exactly that :-)]

Oh dear! I was just taking a couple happy potshots.

> If anybody cares, I'd be happy to discuss it in an appropriate forum.

How kind!

Cheers,
Alan

March 24, 2005 11:26:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Very nice collection!

Q. What kind of access did you have in order to get some of those
behind-the-scenes pics?
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:54:47 AM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
> few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If you're
> into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit repetitive.
> Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a good number of
> what I think are great pics through out.
>
> These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR camera,
> so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little practice
> but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.
>
> I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in the
> root gallery.
> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005

Some nice work, Rob. Hope some of the advice you got here was helpful.
Here are a few of my race pics:
http://cgi.moltenimage.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_a...
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:54:48 AM

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Spent my weekend in Atlanta Georgia at the NASCAR events and took quite a
>> few pics. I've posted a good number of them (see links below.) If
>> you're into racing you might like them, if not you may find them a bit
>> repetitive. Admittedly the pics are of varied quality but there are a
>> good number of what I think are great pics through out.
>>
>> These pics represent my first attempt at race photos with a (D)SLR
>> camera, so techniques like panning were all new to me. It took a little
>> practice but I think I got it down pretty good for my first time.
>>
>> I've broken the pics down into separate galleries with my favorites in
>> the root gallery.
>> http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/atlanta_spring_2005
>
> Some nice work, Rob. Hope some of the advice you got here was helpful.

Thanks Matt,

Yes much of the advice I received here was very helpful. I'm also going to
print out your suggestions on taking pic of airplanes and try it out.

Thanks again.

> Here are a few of my race pics:
> http://cgi.moltenimage.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_a...

Nice pics too bad you had the fence between you and the CART cars. :-/

--

Rob
Anonymous

RichA wrote:

> Good head shots. I didn't know there were female drivers in NASCAR.

Shawna Robinson has been driving Winston Cup races since 2001.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:12:02 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Paul Tracy could almost never win when Villeneuve (jr) was in the same
> league (whatever its called). When Villeneuve left for F-1 then
> suddenly Tracy's star could finally rise on occasion. ;-)

PT's success didn't come until several years after Jacques Villeneuve
left CART for his barely-mediocre F1 career. PT didn't really start
winning races until he got a serious attitude adjustment, started acting
his age rather than his shoe size, and learned how to drive with a LOT
more maturity. His hotheaded antics were what always sunk him before.
Nothing to do with JV.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:21:32 AM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> Here is another thing I want to learn. I have not played much with EXP COMP
> while shooting. I understand the concept but I'm not too sure where and
> when to apply it. I have other pics of planes and they all do look the
> same; silhouetted in the sky. I've played with the RAW images in Capture
> One but haven't really been able to do much. I guess I'm going to have to
> spend a day or two at the airport and just try different things with the
> camera. I will go back to the RAW images and see if I can find a more
> consistent set of adjustments and apply them to all the air pics.

Try my previous suggestion, set the camera to manual, and dial in
exposure according to the sunny-16 rule: 1/ISO @ f/16 for bright
sunlight, add a stop if there's a high, light overcast, two or three if
it's really cloudy; then adjust parameters to match your
shutter/aperture needs.

Example: at 100 ISO, use 1/100 (or 1/125) at f/16, 1/250 @ f/11, 1/500 @
f/8, or going the other way, 1/50 @ f/22, 1/25 @ f/32, and so on.

You'll probably still need to experiment from there, but that'll give
you a good baseline to work from.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:56:29 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> Very nice collection!

Thanks

> Q. What kind of access did you have in order to get some of those
> behind-the-scenes pics?

Standard pit pass gets you into the pit area up to 30 minutes before the
race. Prices very by track but at Atlanta it's $125 for the weekend which
consists of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Although not unique to NASCAR,
pit/paddock access is one of the best thing in NASCAR. It allows the fans
to get right up in the action and let me tell you even during practice and
qualifying there's a lot of action.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Well, if we're showing off our race pics:

1) Paul Tracy & Sebastian Bourdais @ Brands Hatch [Nikon D100]

<http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/BH720.jpg&gt;

2) CART Long Beach [Pentax *ist-D]

<http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg&gt;

3) Monterey Historics [Pentax *ist-D]

<http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/mh2004.jpg&gt;

4) ALMS [Pentax *ist-D]

<http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/OneForFrank.jpg&gt;
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:44:07 AM

news:D 1vmsm$3m5$1@reader1.panix.com...
> Well, if we're showing off our race pics:
>
> 1) Paul Tracy & Sebastian Bourdais @ Brands Hatch [Nikon D100]
>
> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/BH720.jpg&gt;
>

> 2) CART Long Beach [Pentax *ist-D]
>
> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg&gt;
>

> 3) Monterey Historics [Pentax *ist-D]
>
> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/mh2004.jpg&gt;
>

> 4) ALMS [Pentax *ist-D]
>
> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/OneForFrank.jpg&gt;

LOL... Great picture. Did you cheat by having one of those fancy press
passes to get into the sweet spots around the track or did you have to do it
like us lowly armatures have to, from behind the magic lines or the ugly
fences? ;-)

--

Rob
Anonymous

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1vmsm$3m5$1@reader1.panix.com...
>> Well, if we're showing off our race pics:
>>
>> 1) Paul Tracy & Sebastian Bourdais @ Brands Hatch [Nikon D100]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/BH720.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 2) CART Long Beach [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 3) Monterey Historics [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/mh2004.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 4) ALMS [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/OneForFrank.jpg&gt;
>
> LOL... Great picture.

That was supposed to be great "pictures". Although I do like the last one I
didn't want to leave out the rest too.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

Thanks Matt,

> Yes much of the advice I received here was very helpful. I'm also going to
> print out your suggestions on taking pic of airplanes and try it out.

Same applies to the cars, or any kind of tricky outdoor metering like
that. :)

>> Here are a few of my race pics:
>>http://cgi.moltenimage.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_a...
>

> Nice pics too bad you had the fence between you and the CART cars. :-/

It's the Vancouver road course, where the general public can wander
right up to the fences in most areas, so the fences are a safety
necessity. Nothing beats watching a race from the pits, though,
especially on an oval :)
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:08:13 AM

> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
> Thanks Matt,
>>
>> Yes much of the advice I received here was very helpful. I'm also going
>> to print out your suggestions on taking pic of airplanes and try it out.
>
> Same applies to the cars, or any kind of tricky outdoor metering like
> that. :)
>
>>> Here are a few of my race pics:
>>>http://cgi.moltenimage.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_a...
>>

>> Nice pics too bad you had the fence between you and the CART cars. :-/
>
> It's the Vancouver road course, where the general public can wander right
> up to the fences in most areas, so the fences are a safety necessity.
> Nothing beats watching a race from the pits, though, especially on an oval
> :)

You need a Press or Hot pass to stay in the pits during a NASCAR race. I'd
love the opportunity once to shoot from that perspective.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <W9qdnd7t28Ly_N7fRVn-oQ@giganews.com>,
Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
>news:D 1vmsm$3m5$1@reader1.panix.com...
>> Well, if we're showing off our race pics:
>>
>> 1) Paul Tracy & Sebastian Bourdais @ Brands Hatch [Nikon D100]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/BH720.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 2) CART Long Beach [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 3) Monterey Historics [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/mh2004.jpg&gt;
>>

>> 4) ALMS [Pentax *ist-D]
>>
>> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/OneForFrank.jpg&gt;
>
>LOL... Great picture. Did you cheat by having one of those fancy press
>passes to get into the sweet spots around the track or did you have to do it
>like us lowly armatures have to, from behind the magic lines or the ugly
>fences? ;-)

Nowadays I cheats.
I generally get a season pass to my local track (Laguna Seca).
But I grew up in earshot of Brands Hatch (and my mother still lives
in the same house), so when the Champ Cars paid a visit to the track
I just had to find the time to go back for a couple of weeks.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <6r2dnQAed8d3-t7fRVn-vg@giganews.com>,
Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You need a Press or Hot pass to stay in the pits during a NASCAR race. I'd
>love the opportunity once to shoot from that perspective.

NASCAR are actually pretty tough for access - you generally need a pass
to get anywhere near the garage area. Mind you, for hot pit access on
raceday ALMS are tougher - you need a firesuit.

Shooting a race from the pits is actually pretty un-interesting; you
aren't usually allowed over the wall (unlike practice days, generally).
But you do get a chance to get shots like this (from Portland):

<http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/PortlandPitStop.jpg&gt;

[You need a long lens, though: that's 35mm film, and my 250-600 at
the long end. I *love* that lens for motorsports - the Long Beach
shot is taken with the same lens, at 250 (plus a 1.5x crop factor)]
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:05:03 AM

news:D 1vrke$2jt$1@reader1.panix.com...
> In article <6r2dnQAed8d3-t7fRVn-vg@giganews.com>,
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>You need a Press or Hot pass to stay in the pits during a NASCAR race.
>>I'd
>>love the opportunity once to shoot from that perspective.
>
> NASCAR are actually pretty tough for access - you generally need a pass
> to get anywhere near the garage area. Mind you, for hot pit access on
> raceday ALMS are tougher - you need a firesuit.
>
> Shooting a race from the pits is actually pretty un-interesting; you
> aren't usually allowed over the wall (unlike practice days, generally).
> But you do get a chance to get shots like this (from Portland):
>
> <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/temp/PortlandPitStop.jpg&gt;

Another great shot.

There's a spot at ALMS right off turn 4 and the entrance of pit road just
above the infield pedestrian tunnel. I'd love to be able to shoot from
right there. You can get the cars as they come around the turn up on the
banking so you get more then just a shot of the side of the car.

--

Rob

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:12:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <996dnQ2UvOci597fRVn-jg@giganews.com>,
Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There's a spot at ALMS right off turn 4 and the entrance of pit road just
>above the infield pedestrian tunnel. I'd love to be able to shoot from
>right there. You can get the cars as they come around the turn up on the
>banking so you get more then just a shot of the side of the car.

I'm a little confused - to me, ALMS is American Le Mans Series, not a
track. But at all the ovals I've been to you can't get up close to the
track at the exit of T4 - that's a high-impact zone. On some tracks
there's a photo tower, with a reasonable view. On some other tracks
your best bet is the steps at the end of the grandstand. But you're
unlikely to be able to get close to the outside of the track there.

I did manage it once, in New Hampshire, for a CART race in the middle
90s (1993 - 1995), for the start of the race. And that was with just
a regular paid admission ticket. But the security guard let me sneak
up to the wire, grab a couple of shots, and step back behind the line.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:50:44 AM

news:D 206jc$9uj$1@reader1.panix.com...
> In article <996dnQ2UvOci597fRVn-jg@giganews.com>,
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>There's a spot at ALMS right off turn 4 and the entrance of pit road just
>>above the infield pedestrian tunnel. I'd love to be able to shoot from
>>right there. You can get the cars as they come around the turn up on the
>>banking so you get more then just a shot of the side of the car.
>

> I'm a little confused - to me, ALMS is American Le Mans Series, not a
> track. But at all the ovals I've been to you can't get up close to the
> track at the exit of T4 - that's a high-impact zone. On some tracks
> there's a photo tower, with a reasonable view. On some other tracks
> your best bet is the steps at the end of the grandstand. But you're
> unlikely to be able to get close to the outside of the track there.
>
> I did manage it once, in New Hampshire, for a CART race in the middle
> 90s (1993 - 1995), for the start of the race. And that was with just
> a regular paid admission ticket. But the security guard let me sneak
> up to the wire, grab a couple of shots, and step back behind the line.

I'm sorry, Atlanta Motor Speedway. Anyway, at the entrance to pit road
there's an inside wall and those who have press passes can venture out to
this inside wall and get a great shot of turn 4.

--

Rob
Anonymous

> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Very nice collection!
>>

> Thanks
>
>> Q. What kind of access did you have in order to get some of those
>> behind-the-scenes pics?
>

> Standard pit pass gets you into the pit area up to 30 minutes before the
> race. Prices very by track but at Atlanta it's $125 for the weekend which
> consists of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Although not unique to NASCAR,
> pit/paddock access is one of the best thing in NASCAR. It allows the fans
> to get right up in the action and let me tell you even during practice and
> qualifying there's a lot of action.
>
> --
>
> Rob

We will be going to the fall Nascar Texas race and will definately have pit
passes. I am just getting used to my *ist D. I have used Pentax film 35mm
boxes for many years and although not seamless, the transition is not too
bad. I did get out and shoot some a couple of days ago but the weather was
horrible and finally just got too damn wet and cold.
http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/image/41181457 and a few others there were my
first shots with the camera. No processing on any of them..... all shot in
AAA jpeg and no tripod. Ignore the date in the exif..... lol. Got to change
that.

Ed

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:25:09 PM

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Very nice collection!
>>>

>> Thanks
>>
>>> Q. What kind of access did you have in order to get some of those
>>> behind-the-scenes pics?
>>

>> Standard pit pass gets you into the pit area up to 30 minutes before the
>> race. Prices very by track but at Atlanta it's $125 for the weekend
>> which consists of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Although not unique to
>> NASCAR, pit/paddock access is one of the best thing in NASCAR. It allows
>> the fans to get right up in the action and let me tell you even during
>> practice and qualifying there's a lot of action.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>
> We will be going to the fall Nascar Texas race and will definately have
> pit passes. I am just getting used to my *ist D. I have used Pentax film
> 35mm boxes for many years and although not seamless, the transition is not
> too bad. I did get out and shoot some a couple of days ago but the weather
> was horrible and finally just got too damn wet and cold.
> http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/image/41181457 and a few others there were
> my first shots with the camera. No processing on any of them..... all shot
> in AAA jpeg and no tripod. Ignore the date in the exif..... lol. Got to
> change that.

If you don't already have one save up for a long lens. I brought my 18-55,
28-135, and my 100-400 and for the most part only used my 100-400. I was
very surprised that I didn't use the 28-135 much on pit road but I found
that the 100-400 was perfect for getting shots a bit more discretely. All
the head shots were done with the bigger lens. It let me shoot through the
crowd instead of having to muscle my way through the crowd.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>
>>Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>Thanks Matt,
>>
>>>Yes much of the advice I received here was very helpful. I'm also going
>>>to print out your suggestions on taking pic of airplanes and try it out.
>>
>>Same applies to the cars, or any kind of tricky outdoor metering like
>>that. :)

>>>Nice pics too bad you had the fence between you and the CART cars. :-/
>>
>>It's the Vancouver road course, where the general public can wander right
>>up to the fences in most areas, so the fences are a safety necessity.
>>Nothing beats watching a race from the pits, though, especially on an oval
>>:)
>

> You need a Press or Hot pass to stay in the pits during a NASCAR race. I'd
> love the opportunity once to shoot from that perspective.

A friend of mine was on the pit crew of a CASCAR team a couple years
ago; he convinced them to have us redo their website, including race
photos when possible, so I was there as part of their crew.
Unfortuantely they were Calgary-based and most of the races were in
Alberta or the BC Interior and just too far away for me to get to, and
the team ran into various different kinds of trouble the next season, so
that was it, but it was fun while it lasted.

Actually, if you've followed NASCAR fairly closely, you'd probably know
this team owner's name: Trevor Boys. He drove a few races in the
Craftsman Truck series last year and used to drive Winston Cup years
ago. His son Wheeler was the racer we were working with here.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:48:48 PM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> "John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 206jc$9uj$1@reader1.panix.com...
>
>>In article <996dnQ2UvOci597fRVn-jg@giganews.com>,
>>Robert R Kircher, Jr. <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>There's a spot at ALMS right off turn 4 and the entrance of pit road just
>>>above the infield pedestrian tunnel. I'd love to be able to shoot from
>>>right there. You can get the cars as they come around the turn up on the
>>>banking so you get more then just a shot of the side of the car.
>>

>>I'm a little confused - to me, ALMS is American Le Mans Series, not a
>>track. But at all the ovals I've been to you can't get up close to the
>>track at the exit of T4 - that's a high-impact zone. On some tracks
>>there's a photo tower, with a reasonable view. On some other tracks
>>your best bet is the steps at the end of the grandstand. But you're
>>unlikely to be able to get close to the outside of the track there.
>>
>>I did manage it once, in New Hampshire, for a CART race in the middle
>>90s (1993 - 1995), for the start of the race. And that was with just
>>a regular paid admission ticket. But the security guard let me sneak
>>up to the wire, grab a couple of shots, and step back behind the line.
>>

> I'm sorry, Atlanta Motor Speedway. Anyway, at the entrance to pit road
> there's an inside wall and those who have press passes can venture out to
> this inside wall and get a great shot of turn 4.

Ah, see, I was spoiled right off then, by my first CASCAR race. They
have a nice little 1/4-mile oval in Vernon, BC, built by a local guy
who's a race nut with lots of money, and it seemed once you had access
to the pit area (whether by crew pass, press pass, whatever), you could
just go wherever you damn well pleased on the infield area (which,
granted, isn't very big on a 1/4-mile oval). They'd have someone
yelling at you if you got to close to somewhere dangerous, but in
general they seemed to assume that people were smart enough to stay out
of harm's way, having signed a waiver already. Actually, I found that
true of pretty much all the CASCAR events I was at.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:48:49 PM

> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> "John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 206jc$9uj$1@reader1.panix.com...

>>>I'm a little confused - to me, ALMS is American Le Mans Series, not a
>>>track. But at all the ovals I've been to you can't get up close to the
>>>track at the exit of T4 - that's a high-impact zone. On some tracks
>>>there's a photo tower, with a reasonable view. On some other tracks
>>>your best bet is the steps at the end of the grandstand. But you're
>>>unlikely to be able to get close to the outside of the track there.
>>>
>>>I did manage it once, in New Hampshire, for a CART race in the middle
>>>90s (1993 - 1995), for the start of the race. And that was with just
>>>a regular paid admission ticket. But the security guard let me sneak
>>>up to the wire, grab a couple of shots, and step back behind the line.
>>>

>> I'm sorry, Atlanta Motor Speedway. Anyway, at the entrance to pit road
>> there's an inside wall and those who have press passes can venture out to
>> this inside wall and get a great shot of turn 4.
>
> Ah, see, I was spoiled right off then, by my first CASCAR race. They have
> a nice little 1/4-mile oval in Vernon, BC, built by a local guy who's a
> race nut with lots of money, and it seemed once you had access to the pit
> area (whether by crew pass, press pass, whatever), you could just go
> wherever you damn well pleased on the infield area (which, granted, isn't
> very big on a 1/4-mile oval). They'd have someone yelling at you if you
> got to close to somewhere dangerous, but in general they seemed to assume
> that people were smart enough to stay out of harm's way, having signed a
> waiver already. Actually, I found that true of pretty much all the CASCAR
> events I was at.

Used to be that way in NASCAR too but over the past several years the
popularity has forced them to apply all sorts of restrictions. Regardless
the access provided is like no other sport around. What other sport give
the regular fan this sort of access, http://www.pbase.com/image/41148568.

--

Rob
Anonymous

> "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Thanks

>>> Standard pit pass gets you into the pit area up to 30 minutes before the
>>> race. Prices very by track but at Atlanta it's $125 for the weekend
>>> which consists of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Although not unique to
>>> NASCAR, pit/paddock access is one of the best thing in NASCAR. It
>>> allows the fans to get right up in the action and let me tell you even
>>> during practice and qualifying there's a lot of action.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob
>>
>> We will be going to the fall Nascar Texas race and will definately have
>> pit passes. I am just getting used to my *ist D. I have used Pentax film
>> 35mm boxes for many years and although not seamless, the transition is
>> not too bad. I did get out and shoot some a couple of days ago but the
>> weather was horrible and finally just got too damn wet and cold.
>> http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/image/41181457 and a few others there were
>> my first shots with the camera. No processing on any of them..... all
>> shot in AAA jpeg and no tripod. Ignore the date in the exif..... lol. Got
>> to change that.
>>

> If you don't already have one save up for a long lens. I brought my
> 18-55, 28-135, and my 100-400 and for the most part only used my 100-400.
> I was very surprised that I didn't use the 28-135 much on pit road but I
> found that the 100-400 was perfect for getting shots a bit more
> discretely. All the head shots were done with the bigger lens. It let me
> shoot through the crowd instead of having to muscle my way through the
> crowd.
>
> --
>
> Rob

Thanks for the info. Yes, I have an 80-300 or so (forget exactly) Cosmicar
lens but had not thought about using it on a racing trip. I can see where it
may be a useful tool now that you mention it. I haven't tried it on the
camera yet (KA lens from old Pentax box) and it is not as fast as I would
like. I guess I should go through my old film equipment cases and see what I
do have. I think I have a KA 2x multiplier which might be usefull too. At
least easier to transport around than the old long lenses. What type of
filters did you use for the sunny conditions? Your shots seemed to be right
on.

Ed

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:24:51 PM

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> We will be going to the fall Nascar Texas race and will definately have
>>> pit passes. I am just getting used to my *ist D. I have used Pentax film
>>> 35mm boxes for many years and although not seamless, the transition is
>>> not too bad. I did get out and shoot some a couple of days ago but the
>>> weather was horrible and finally just got too damn wet and cold.
>>> http://www.pbase.com/edmedlin/image/41181457 and a few others there were
>>> my first shots with the camera. No processing on any of them..... all
>>> shot in AAA jpeg and no tripod. Ignore the date in the exif..... lol.
>>> Got to change that.
>>>

>> If you don't already have one save up for a long lens. I brought my
>> 18-55, 28-135, and my 100-400 and for the most part only used my 100-400.
>> I was very surprised that I didn't use the 28-135 much on pit road but I
>> found that the 100-400 was perfect for getting shots a bit more
>> discretely. All the head shots were done with the bigger lens. It let
>> me shoot through the crowd instead of having to muscle my way through the
>> crowd.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>
> Thanks for the info. Yes, I have an 80-300 or so (forget exactly) Cosmicar
> lens but had not thought about using it on a racing trip. I can see where
> it may be a useful tool now that you mention it. I haven't tried it on the
> camera yet (KA lens from old Pentax box) and it is not as fast as I would
> like. I guess I should go through my old film equipment cases and see what
> I do have. I think I have a KA 2x multiplier which might be usefull too.
> At least easier to transport around than the old long lenses. What type of
> filters did you use for the sunny conditions? Your shots seemed to be
> right on.

Short of the UV Haze filter I have on all my lenses, I didn't use any
filters at all. I asked a friend who shoots races professionally and he
said he doesn't use any so neither did I. I will admit to some work with
Capture One but that requires that you to shoot in RAW.

In regards to the 2x, I have one too and I've used it for moon shots etc,
but I'm not too sure how effective it would be shooting action shots.
People may look at you like your nuts and Homeland Security may take you
away but I think a few test at your nearest highway may be in order. The
cars are certainly not at the same speed as on the track, but at least you
can try the equipment out while panning and see what your results are like.
With that said my friend mentioned that he has used his 1.4x at the races
but I believe he said he had thing mounted to a tripod.

Besides that, I received a lot of good advice from the folks here. Search
for the Subject "Going to the Races, Need Some Advice".

--

Rob
Anonymous

> "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

>>> If you don't already have one save up for a long lens. I brought my
>>> 18-55, 28-135, and my 100-400 and for the most part only used my
>>> 100-400. I was very surprised that I didn't use the 28-135 much on pit
>>> road but I found that the 100-400 was perfect for getting shots a bit
>>> more discretely. All the head shots were done with the bigger lens. It
>>> let me shoot through the crowd instead of having to muscle my way
>>> through the crowd.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob
>>
>> Thanks for the info. Yes, I have an 80-300 or so (forget exactly)
>> Cosmicar lens but had not thought about using it on a racing trip. I can
>> see where it may be a useful tool now that you mention it. I haven't
>> tried it on the camera yet (KA lens from old Pentax box) and it is not as
>> fast as I would like. I guess I should go through my old film equipment
>> cases and see what I do have. I think I have a KA 2x multiplier which
>> might be usefull too. At least easier to transport around than the old
>> long lenses. What type of filters did you use for the sunny conditions?
>> Your shots seemed to be right on.
>
> Short of the UV Haze filter I have on all my lenses, I didn't use any
> filters at all. I asked a friend who shoots races professionally and he
> said he doesn't use any so neither did I. I will admit to some work with
> Capture One but that requires that you to shoot in RAW.
>
> In regards to the 2x, I have one too and I've used it for moon shots etc,
> but I'm not too sure how effective it would be shooting action shots.
> People may look at you like your nuts and Homeland Security may take you
> away but I think a few test at your nearest highway may be in order. The
> cars are certainly not at the same speed as on the track, but at least you
> can try the equipment out while panning and see what your results are
> like. With that said my friend mentioned that he has used his 1.4x at the
> races but I believe he said he had thing mounted to a tripod.
>
> Besides that, I received a lot of good advice from the folks here. Search
> for the Subject "Going to the Races, Need Some Advice".
>
> --
>
> Rob

Sure will........Thanks Rob.

Ed