Best way to upgrade my AM3 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I currently have Amd Athlon X3 3.1 Ghz
gigabyte GA-MA770T motherboard
16 gb of gskill 1333 ram (is use linux and windows xp for coding so 16gb is for linux)
500gb 7200 rpm hard drive with 8mb cache
Powercolor 5770 graphics card 1gb ram

how much of a difference would I see from just replacing the cpu with Athlon X6 1090T
I plan on using an aftermarket cooler so I will have no option to RMA if cpu is bad, is it worth it?

Solution
AM3 Processors aren't being discontinued, where did you read that?

But since your encoding and not gaming it is better that you got the X6.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
they wont be able to tell which cooler you use. so that should have no affect on the warranty or RMAing it. and do you mean phenom ii x6 i take it? and if so then yes... the 1090t is a pretty beastly cpu

G

I decided to buy the X6 on newegg for $159, seems really great at that price as I have read that AMD has discontinued AM3 processors. I figure I can move the AM3 X3 into my AM2+ machine that is still running an old AM2 X2 45W 2.4 processor. So its like upgrading two systems at once. I still might buy a video card later, I don't game right now but wouldn't be opposed to it but I am not much for military games. I write lots of multi-threaded applications and this should be useful. The reviews on newegg, amazon and about 6 other sites were just too positive.

loneninja

Distinguished

It was on AMD's roadmaps that Athlon II/Phenom II would be EOL by the beginning of 2012. Here's an article that they're done taking orders for them end of year, supply will dwindle in the coming months.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-to-EOL-45nm-Phenom-II-and-Athlon-II-CPUs-in-Q4-2011-223974.shtml

I don't know why anyone would expect AMD to continue making 45nm AM3 chips when they've now launched their entire 32nm line up from budget FM1 to high end AM3+.

Status
Not open for further replies.