cannot change wallpaper - please help - thanks

July 2, 2004 6:14:00 PM

Desktop background [xp pro] is now white and flashes to a
light grey. Right click/Properties on desktop and only get
a general tab - no options to change anything. The address
is file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html. This is the
name of a file that I deleted after my pc was infected by
several files containing trojan viruses etc [e.g.
mstasks2.exe, system.exe, wintime.exe etc...] and my
desktop was taken over by this desktop.html and made up of
circa 20 gifs that had been created in c:\windows\web
directory.

Try to change desktop background via control
panel/Appearance and Themes - the Display
Properties/Desktop tab is available and indeed shows my
desired background picture, the name is highlighted but
the apply function is greyed out. Selecting ok does not
change the desktop background. Also my desired desktop
background is monentarily visible during windows shutdown.

Searching in the registry for desktop.html reveals the
following:-

In hive My
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Desktop\Components\0 , the keys Source and
SubscribedURL both contain the values
c:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html .

Question is - is it safe [or correct]to change these
values to point to the location of desired desktop
background bitmap ?

Also are the values stored in any of the other keys in
this hive siginificant - i.e. Deafult, Current State,
Flags, Friendly Name, Orininal State Info, Position,
Restored State Info ?

Finally does anyone know what the registry hives Search
Assistant\ACMru\5603 & Search Assistant\ACMru\5604 are -
they look very dodgy to me and include keys such as 000
thru to 024 with values of mstasks, desktop.html, dkdial,
wintime, system.exe - all infected files that I have
removed during the recent clean up.

More about : change wallpaper

July 4, 2004 2:42:23 AM

Hi Tony,

If your system is clean, run the edit on line 142 (right hand side)

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award