Sign in with
Your question

Motherboards with on-board video?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2012 3:34:46 AM

Hello,

[This may be a dumb question] So I decided to build a low budget desktop [after failed laptop] and I am stuck on choosing a motherboard. There are motherboards with on-board video cards which has vga/DSUB or HDMI output and there are motherboards without this on-board video cards. Here is the confusing part, If I buy a motherboard without a on-board video card, how am I suppose to install video card driver for a actual/dedicated card by sticking the CD into the CD/DVD drive If I can't see anything?

Here is the mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Parts:-so far and ignoring case and other small stuff-

AMD FX-8150
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3
ASUS HD7770-2GD5 2GB EDITION-need crossfire mobo.
COOLMAX V-600 600W ATX12V version 2.2 Power Supply
and ABOVE MOBO or other -still looking.

Also, anyone recommend any good mobo crossfire ready under 100 thats compatible with fx-8150?
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 4:18:13 AM

You don't need to worry about that. The dedicated card will work just fine with the "basic" VGA drivers until you get a chance to install the real drivers after you install Windows. Trust me.

Go with ANY motherboard you want.

Also, that's a nice board you linked, as well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 4:28:28 AM

What DJ said.

All GPUs implement the standard VESA "dumb frame buffer" video standard used by the VGA driver. If Windows does not have a reference driver for your specific GPU in its install image, it will use the standard VGA driver. This applies to IGP as well.

BTW, the standard VGA driver is what gets used when you boot Windows in safe-mode.
m
l
Related resources
!