HELP! new mobo, CPU, ram won't boot

GamerGrrl

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hi all, I'm hoping for some help from those smarter than I.

I just bought some new parts for my PC ( a Skyrim upgrade)

Asus Mobo: P8Z68 deluxe
i5 3570k CPU
Corsair 8gb ram - picked this from the mobo vendors list to make sure there were no dramas.

This is pretty much the same upgrade I did to play elder scrolls oblivion, Im no expert but can follow instructions. The last upgrade was smooth as silk.

This one is going to make me cry..... The install goes fine from what I can tell, but when I try and boot it up to do a clean windows install, everything starts up ok, lights seem happy but then it just stops, powers down and restarts.... This cycle goes on till I turn the psu off.

The little q-code led flicks through some number then hits F3 then goes to F2 and that's when it restarts.

This is the second time I have attempted this, a week ago I tried the first time for the same thing to happen, I assumed (yeah yeah I know I am an ass) my old PSU just wasn't up to the task (a fairly new OCZ fatal1ty 550w) so I picked up a nice new thermaltake 800w to bump up the power. However trying it with the new psu results in the exact same issue...... Would love some advice. I have removed everything excess, and 2 of the sticks of ram to no avail...... Is my mobo doa or have I missed something obvious?

Yor problem is that your using a cpu that the system doesn't recognize. You need to either switch to an i5 2500k cpu, update the bios to the latest revision, or swap the motherboard for a z77 chipset model. Updating the bios is easiest, but you're kinda stuck in a hard spot however, because in order to update the bios, you need a working cpu installed. Gigabyte will do the update for you for free under warranty.

Who talked you into a z68 MB anyway? Given your cpu choice, you should have been directed to a z77 board.

G

as abekl stated, your motherboard would need an updated BIOS to use an ivy bridge cpu. you could return the 3570K and get a 2500K, return the motherboard and get a Z77 chipset or get a sandy bridge celeron and use that to update the BIOS and then put back in the 3570K

if you are thinking about the celeron its $40
Intel Celeron G440

GamerGrrl

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Ahhh crap...... Freaking bios version...... Didn't even think about that. nice to see my pc parts place is great with advice and they won't do a trade..... Asus were less than useless when I spoke to them, Australian "service" centers are only good for a handful of things and motherboards are not one of them. Looks like my only real option is to replace the chip unless anyone has any brilliant solutions to my idiocy :)