Approximate Purchase Date: In the next week or so.
Budget Range: $1500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing the internet, music, watching streaming video, gaming
Parts Not Required: moniter
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: intel processors
SLI or Crossfire: No, unless cost effective in budget and worth it.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
Additional Comments: I want cold temps.
I am passing my old build on in my family and am looking to build a new system for general use and some gaming, older games (i.e. Half-Life 2-ish stuff), but at high resolution (1920 X 1200). The old system is an E8400 with a HD4850 video card in a Rosewill mid-tower case. I have had some temperature problems in the old case especially with the video card as it gets above 100 C quickly when gaming (it will be going to a non-gaming person in my family). So, I am looking to keep temps way down if possible. I want to keep the cost at around $1500. Please let me know what you think of this proposed build...
A full tower is just too big. This case is bigger than a traditional mid-tower, so more space for cooling and the wire management looks great for a clean build, plus I think it looks good. I want something bigger than what I have and all the AZZA and Antec mid-towers are about the same size as my current case.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I know that the cache feature is hotly debated as to its usefulness, but the SSD on the board comes at a bit of a discount when bought with the board and as you will see I only plan to cache the HDD storage drive for limited gains.
Thanks for your ideas. Shouldn't one 6870 be good enough to run Half-Life 2 or old Call of Duty games at 1920 x 1200 without issues? Crossfire just seems like overkill for me, right? On the SSD side I would rather the system start up 10 seconds faster than for it to play the latest games at insane levels. I am thinking of waiting until Labor Day weekend now to see if I can get some sale deals on this build. And maybe dropping the motherboard with the ssd on-board (switching to the same model without the ssd) and using the difference in price to get the 128GB version of the ssd, good idea or not?