Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Gigabyte gtx 560 soc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2011 9:15:48 AM

Hi, I'm having problems with my new gtx560 ti soc
(http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...)

What happens:
Not so demanding gameswork fine but when I start something more demanding like The Witcher 2 the computer shuts down as soon as the card starts rendering. First I thought it was a overheat issue but the gpu-z log showed that the temperature only was 53 C when it shut down. Then I thought it might be that my Corsair 550W psu wasn't enough (altough they recommend 500w so it should work...) so I brought the card to a friend with a similiar setup but with a 620w psu. Now the computer didn't shut down but instead showed a black screen for about 1-2 seconds every 10 seconds or so. We tried with the 266,270 and 275 drivers but neither showed any improvement in gameplay.

What can I do about this? I read that increasing the voltage might help but I don't want to void the warranty in case it doesn't work.
Also, Is my psu too weak to handle this card? Would be good to know If I decide to look for a replacement card.

My setup:
q6600 2,4 ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
Asus P5N-D motherboard
2x7200 rpm hard drives(320 and 160 gb)
Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 11, 2011 12:41:46 PM

I've seen quite a few posts on several forums concerning issues with those Gigabyte cards, have you tried underclocking it back to 820mhz with Afterburner?
June 11, 2011 1:02:26 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've seen quite a few posts on several forums concerning issues with those Gigabyte cards, have you tried underclocking it back to 820mhz with Afterburner?

No, since I thought that fiddling with those settings would void the warranty. Or is that only if you overclock?
Related resources
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 11, 2011 5:52:46 PM

chessum said:
No, since I thought that fiddling with those settings would void the warranty. Or is that only if you overclock?

Neither over or underclocking will void the warranty simply because it's done via software and is not permanently embedded on the card in any way, changing the cards BIOS however will most likely void any warranty as that will still be there if you get it wrong and fry the card.
June 11, 2011 7:09:07 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Neither over or underclocking will void the warranty simply because it's done via software and is not permanently embedded on the card in any way, changing the cards BIOS however will most likely void any warranty as that will still be there if you get it wrong and fry the card.

I see. I will try that tomorrow then and get back with results. Thank you for you help :) 
June 12, 2011 4:07:17 PM

No luck. I tried setting it to the standard gtx560 ti factory setting but my computer still shut down when I start a game. I also tried to bump the voltage up a little bit since some people have reported that it worked for them, but nope. I didn't have the opportunity to try it at my friends computer though.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 12, 2011 4:36:07 PM

RMA time mate.
June 12, 2011 7:11:10 PM

Yep, I already notified the dealer. I will be sad to see the card go though, that beast was a thing of beauty. But as they say, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
a c 172 Î Nvidia
June 12, 2011 8:10:42 PM

No problem, I hope it works out for you.
!