Sign in with
Your question

PC turns on, then off, then on and boots normally

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2011 8:43:21 PM

Every time I press the power button on my PC it turns on (fans, case lights) for about 3 seconds, then it turns off for about 3 seconds, then it turns back on (automatically) and boots normally. My only guess as to what is causing this problem is something to do with overclocking. I overclocked the CPU with the ASUS automatic overclocking feature in the EFI BIOS from 3.4 to 4.4. When monitoring the CPU in Windows the temps look to be fine (35idle, 65load) and I even got a after market heat sink (zalman) and arctic silver thermal paste. Not sure what is going on.

Also another completely separate question... I'm using a AZZA Hurican 2000 case and when my PC is on there are 2 red LED lights on the hard drive bays that light up. Does this mean they are working? Does it mean there is a problem?

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: i7-2600K OC 4.4GHz
GPU: GTX 570
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz
PSU: 800W
HDD1: 500GB 6GB/s 7200rpm Windows 7
HDD2: 500GB 6GB/s 7200rpm Mac OS Lion

More about : turns boots

August 14, 2011 10:20:20 PM

I once had a similar situation but that is with a virus. What happen is that I had windows xp and it turns off sometimes once it get to the winodws loading screen, but it won't turn back on after it turns off.

It is possible that your mobo is malfunctioning. It couldn't be your cpu temp, because normally, it won't turn on your pc after it turns off. Try updating your bios.
m
l
August 15, 2011 1:45:35 AM

I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be power or lack of it on the 12V rail. You don't mention the brand or model of your PSU.

Is it possible to try your setup with another PSU to see if the same thing happens or not?

m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2011 2:41:55 AM

zootnerper said:
I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be power or lack of it on the 12V rail. You don't mention the brand or model of your PSU.

Is it possible to try your setup with another PSU to see if the same thing happens or not?

This could defiantly be an issue, seems like the problem is related to my power supply. It is a SilverStone 800W psu, i checked the 12v in my bios and it says im using 12.33v. What is the 12v? The fans? If so that might be an issue, my case has 3x 230mm fans + 2x 120mm fans all with LEDs. If these fans are causing problems what can I do to fix this issue? Do I need to use less fans (turn some of them off), do I need to turn there speed down? (my case has a high and low setting for fan control. Thanks in advance ZootNerper I think your on to something.
m
l
August 15, 2011 3:07:46 AM

I don't think disconnecting the fans will alter much. GPUs use 12V too and this is where most will be where most of the 12V current will be going. You could try it, to see if it makes any difference, but it whatever the answer, it does not solve your problem.

However, he PSU might be failing or a dud if new. That's why swapping it for another (for a test) may help. Does a friend have one you could use?

The 12.33V is the 12V rail (they always seem to be a little over)

I don't know the make SilverStone 800W. But the 12V rail seems like it should be able to cope. It only has one 12V rail rated at 66A, which seems odd. Most have multiple 12V rails that add up to make the required current. But, I'm no electronics expert.

Try swapping the PSU, if you can.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2011 3:14:19 AM

re: I overclocked the CPU with the ASUS automatic overclocking feature in the EFI BIOS from 3.4 to 4.4.

Any chance this is the overclock failing, and the board automatically dialing you back to stock ? Are you still OC'd or can you drop the OC and see what happens. i7-2600K OC 4.4GHz is trucking right along.
m
l
August 15, 2011 3:33:58 AM

tsnor said:
re: I overclocked the CPU with the ASUS automatic overclocking feature in the EFI BIOS from 3.4 to 4.4.

Any chance this is the overclock failing, and the board automatically dialing you back to stock ? Are you still OC'd or can you drop the OC and see what happens. i7-2600K OC 4.4GHz is trucking right along.

I checked this in my BIOS and in Windows 7 and the CPU is still running at 4.4GHz. I'll drop the CPU back down to stock speeds and see if that changes anything.
m
l
August 15, 2011 3:55:04 AM

zootnerper said:
I don't think disconnecting the fans will alter much. GPUs use 12V too and this is where most will be where most of the 12V current will be going. You could try it, to see if it makes any difference, but it whatever the answer, it does not solve your problem.

However, he PSU might be failing or a dud if new. That's why swapping it for another (for a test) may help. Does a friend have one you could use?

The 12.33V is the 12V rail (they always seem to be a little over)

I don't know the make SilverStone 800W. But the 12V rail seems like it should be able to cope. It only has one 12V rail rated at 66A, which seems odd. Most have multiple 12V rails that add up to make the required current. But, I'm no electronics expert.

Try swapping the PSU, if you can.

Unfortunatly I don't have a PSU I can swap out until I get back to college (mid september) I live out in the middle of no where and don't have any friends near by that own high end PCs with high end power supplies. I could try removing my GTX 570 and running off my CPUs graphics to see if the PSUs 12v is messed up, would that work for a test?

If my PSUs 12v rail is messed up I wouldn't think my GPU/PC would be working at all, would it?
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2011 4:16:55 AM

vital, it is more than likely an overclocking problem. You boot the system and the BIOS finds something that it doesn't like, so it shuts down and successfully tries again.

Your BIOS probably has provisions for saving different sets of settings. Save your current setup, then restore factory defaults. If the system boots with no problems, you know the OC settings were the original fault.

I do not think the problem is your PSU or video card. If it were, the system would not successfully reboot.
m
l
!