Sign in with
Your question
Solved

9800GT Dying?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2011 10:45:46 AM

I built a computer a few years ago and things have worked relatively well since then. Specs are as follows:

Video Card: XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB Dual-Core Processor
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 Power Supply
RAM: 4GB G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard

One day while I was browsing the web the screen froze on me and slightly pixelated while turning a pinkish color in certain areas. I could still move the mouse but the rest of it was frozen. I had to do a manual reboot. The next time it froze I waited to see if anything would happen and I got a blue screen of death with the file "nv4_disp" under the information. It froze like this a couple more times throughout the next few days until eventually I noticed some horizontal lines through a couple of screens during startup once. When this would happen, the computer wouldn't be able to start the card (Device Manager states "Code 10: This device cannot start). I tried sweeping the driver and reinstalling, along with using past drivers, none of which worked.

These problems are happening very frequently now, either the computer can't start the card or it can but goes on to freeze. I'm ready to buy a new card but wanted to verify that the video card itself is the problem and not something else.

Can I get your input? Thanks!

More about : 9800gt dying

June 11, 2011 11:56:33 AM

The card is dead 100%.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 3:31:26 PM

The 9800s have a tendency to develop micro fractures in the solder after a couple years of usage due to the temps they run at - many people have reported having luck getting them working again by remelting the solder in an oven (google cooking video card in oven for details ) though at this point with the prices on newer better cards it may not be worth trying but even if you do get another card it sometimes helps to have a backup !
Related resources
June 11, 2011 3:47:06 PM

Hey.. the same thing happened to my 8600GT.... the memory card has gone... i tried changing RAM and did boot up properly in safe mode(with the flicker but without the freezing)

Im now planning to buy 6770 or 5770...1GB DDR5

My Config:
Motherboard - XFX Nvidia 650i
RAM - 3 GB
View sonic 19"
m
l
June 11, 2011 10:15:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's time to get a new video card. I, too, have been looking at the 5770. Seemingly an inexpensive upgrade from the 9800 GT.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 10:30:22 PM

that sucks bro, hope you have better luck with your new card. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2011 12:23:50 AM

Just for affirmation purposes, the same thing happened to my 8800GT about 2 years ago. Luckily, mine was still under warranty with eVGA. The replacement card is still going strong in my kid brother's system.

XFX video cards carry a lifetime warranty. You may want to contact them to see if they'll replace it. http://xfxforce.com

The 5770 is still quite a card, especially at it's current price range. Newegg's got an ASUS 5770 that's only $110 right now, and it's even got a $20 rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 12, 2011 12:32:57 AM

Yeah, I did contact them about the issue. The tech asked if I had tried to install new drivers along with a few other things. He didn't seem to go very far into the issue, but when he became aware that I had had the card for over two years, he said the warranty wouldn't cover it anymore and closed the support ticket.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2011 2:57:30 AM

Dalerax said:
Yeah, I did contact them about the issue. The tech asked if I had tried to install new drivers along with a few other things. He didn't seem to go very far into the issue, but when he became aware that I had had the card for over two years, he said the warranty wouldn't cover it anymore and closed the support ticket.

did you contact them by phone? if you did you shouldve started crying and see what they wouldve done. lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2011 12:34:09 PM

I guess you're not in the US then... A 2-year warranty is typical of XFX outside the US.
m
l
June 12, 2011 12:49:41 PM

Nah, I'm in the US, but it looks like I still only got a two year warranty because I didn't register the product with the website within 30 days of purchase. Taken straight from their warranty information:

"How long does this limited warranty last?

The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of two years.

If you register the product online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2011 12:52:44 PM

Ahhh. Registration...

You could always try baking it. As strange as it may sound, sometimes it does work. Other than that, good luck with your new card.
m
l
June 13, 2011 11:36:15 PM

Best answer selected by Dalerax.
m
l
!