A good article on nation wide coverage; suggesting it ain'..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6232656-1.html?tag=nl.e501
Answering the question "When is nationwide coverage, not nationwide?

And this was kool as well, the expanded carrier chart, comparing all
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7609_7-5537615-11.html?tag=txt

--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

If you'd like to get a better price for new service, please see us on-line:
http://verizon.better-price.biz
http://nextel.better-price.biz
http://cingular.better-price.biz
http://sprint.better-price.biz

In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
> And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
> pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
> almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
roaming. Pull that and both their coverage drops drastically especially
Sprint's. Looking at the maps for digital only coverage I'd say
Cingular is quite a bit ahead although their national map is a bit
premature since it clearly includes some roamer partners to be GSM that
haven't converted yet. My Cingular GAIT plan with both GSM and TDMA
blows them all out of the water for digital coverage, plus it also has
analog roaming, however technically the article is correct since
Cingular no longer officially offers a plan with roaming off GSM (got to
be the stupidest decision ever made by a wireless company)--someone off
the street would have no way of knowing the GAIT option can be added to
the current plans for use with used GAIT phones.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

If you have a Sprint PCS phone that has an analog mode, Sprint PCS's
roaming includes analog, but Sprint PCS's coverage is all PCS and all
digital.
If you have a verizon phone that has an analog mode, a very small part
of verizon's coverage is still analog, and you could utilize verizon's
analog roaming, what little there is of it.

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> roaming.

Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

--
I miss my .signature.

clifto wrote:

>>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
>>roaming.
>
> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

They don't have analog network capacity anywhere. Oddly enough, their Terms
of Service do speak about Sprint's "analog and PCS digital network".

They DO have several tri-mode phones. My previous and current Sprint phones
are tri-mode, so they do include analog capability. If you roam off Sprint's
network, chances are still good that you'll be roaming analog, so they need
some tri-mode phones in their lineup.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
>
>>And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
>>pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
>>almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.
>>

> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> roaming.

That characterization was never made on the article, and Sprint and
Verizon clearly define the differences between on-network and roaming
(in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

clifto wrote:
> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
>
>>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
>>roaming.
>

> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal, but the phones are
programmed to mak eit clear when you're actually roaming (and unless you
specifically add it to your account, roaming is not included).

--

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> clifto wrote:
>
>> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
>>
>>> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes
>>> analog roaming.
>>

>> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog
>> *anything*,
>> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
>> wrong?
>

> Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
> common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
> on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal

You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only, Automatic and
Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this area I roam analog. I
can't *force* CDMA roaming.

--

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in

> (in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
> from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

It's been that way a long time, now. In any area VZW is supposed to have
service, it will not roam to SPCS or Alltel.

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only,
> Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this
> area I roam analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.

Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely why the PRL was
invented, to control what systems the customers could access under company
control. FCC is bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent off-market roaming, no
consumer controls on his own phone).

Follow the money....

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
>
>> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint
>> Only, Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint
>> coverage in this area I roam analog. I can't *force*
>> CDMA roaming.
>>

> Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely
> why the PRL was invented, to control what systems the
> customers could access under company control. FCC is
> bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
> differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent
> off-market roaming, no consumer controls on his own
> phone).
>
> Follow the money....

Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
Otherwise the PRL, etc. are terms YOU agree
to in return for using/being serviced by their
network/service. There is the cost of the
service YOU agree to pay as well.

In short, YOU have all the control. (unless
your tinfoil hat is leaking).

-Quick

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.

Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
company-loving friend.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.

Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
>>

>Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
>company-loving friend.

Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
calls?

--
Jack Hamilton
California

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
>>

> Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed
> and agreed to, my company-loving friend.

Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.

-Quick

Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in

> Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
> calls?

Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no business.

This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

--

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in
>
>> Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
>> make phone calls?
>>

> Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no
> business.
>
> This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
businesses before cell phones.

And those airline companies. They're doing the same
thing. You're forced to use those too right?

It's called cost of doing business. I suppose you're
going to argue that the government should supply
you with whatever services you need to conduct
whatever business you can think of and they should
force private companies to supply you those services.

I think they may have turned up the mind control beam
they have aimed at you a bit too high and there was
some collateral damage...

> Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
> arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
> businesses before cell phones.

Before cellphones there was IMTS. I was a customer...(c;

Your attempt at flamewar bounces off the teflon.

By the way, IMTS worked great....er, ah....once you got a channel...

--

> Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.
>
> -Quick

Yawn....

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> > roaming.
>
> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
wrong?

Yes, it is. There are just a couple of phones that don't have 800 MHz
analogy capability. 95+% do, and can roam on analog, when traveling out of
SPCS native coverage. As I understand it though, SPCS is converting some
analog roaming agreements to digital roaming, when it is available.

Bob

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
Doesn't make sense to me.

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides
CDMA?
> Doesn't make sense to me.

Could be a number of reasons why, price, or that one provider offers a more
extensive coverage area out in the boonies with analog coverage. That said,
they are starting to change some of their roaming agreements from analog to
digital.

Bob

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
market that supports it.

> It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
> such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
> market that supports it.

It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
that were only 1900 CDMA.

Bob

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that allow
then to roam on digital networks.

> Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that
allow
> then to roam on digital networks.

Who says they don't? That doesn't mean though that they will work out in the
boonies, where there is analog coverage, but no digital coverage.

Bob