A good article on nation wide coverage; suggesting it ain'..

Last response: in Network Providers
June 7, 2005 7:22:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6232656-1.html?tag=...
Answering the question "When is nationwide coverage, not nationwide?

And this was kool as well, the expanded carrier chart, comparing all
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7609_7-5537615-11.html?tag...

--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

If you'd like to get a better price for new service, please see us on-line:
http://verizon.better-price.biz
http://nextel.better-price.biz
http://cingular.better-price.biz
http://sprint.better-price.biz
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:01:39 PM

In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
> And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
> pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
> almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
roaming. Pull that and both their coverage drops drastically especially
Sprint's. Looking at the maps for digital only coverage I'd say
Cingular is quite a bit ahead although their national map is a bit
premature since it clearly includes some roamer partners to be GSM that
haven't converted yet. My Cingular GAIT plan with both GSM and TDMA
blows them all out of the water for digital coverage, plus it also has
analog roaming, however technically the article is correct since
Cingular no longer officially offers a plan with roaming off GSM (got to
be the stupidest decision ever made by a wireless company)--someone off
the street would have no way of knowing the GAIT option can be added to
the current plans for use with used GAIT phones.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

If you have a Sprint PCS phone that has an analog mode, Sprint PCS's
roaming includes analog, but Sprint PCS's coverage is all PCS and all
digital.
If you have a verizon phone that has an analog mode, a very small part
of verizon's coverage is still analog, and you could utilize verizon's
analog roaming, what little there is of it.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:14:51 PM

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> roaming.

Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

--
I miss my .signature.
Anonymous

clifto wrote:

>>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
>>roaming.
>
> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

They don't have analog network capacity anywhere. Oddly enough, their Terms
of Service do speak about Sprint's "analog and PCS digital network".

They DO have several tri-mode phones. My previous and current Sprint phones
are tri-mode, so they do include analog capability. If you roam off Sprint's
network, chances are still good that you'll be roaming analog, so they need
some tri-mode phones in their lineup.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:50:48 PM

Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
> dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
>
>>And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
>>pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
>>almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.
>>

> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> roaming.

That characterization was never made on the article, and Sprint and
Verizon clearly define the differences between on-network and roaming
(in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 9, 2005 6:54:22 PM

clifto wrote:
> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
>
>>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
>>roaming.
>

> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal, but the phones are
programmed to mak eit clear when you're actually roaming (and unless you
specifically add it to your account, roaming is not included).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
June 9, 2005 6:54:23 PM

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> clifto wrote:
>
>> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
>>
>>> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes
>>> analog roaming.
>>

>> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog
>> *anything*,
>> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
>> wrong?
>

> Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
> common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
> on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal

You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only, Automatic and
Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this area I roam analog. I
can't *force* CDMA roaming.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:28:36 PM

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in

> (in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
> from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

It's been that way a long time, now. In any area VZW is supposed to have
service, it will not roam to SPCS or Alltel.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:37:48 PM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
news:D 8a5i9$9vi$2@ratbert.glorb.com:

> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only,
> Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this
> area I roam analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.

Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely why the PRL was
invented, to control what systems the customers could access under company
control. FCC is bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent off-market roaming, no
consumer controls on his own phone).

Follow the money....
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:37:49 PM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
> news:D 8a5i9$9vi$2@ratbert.glorb.com:
>
>> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint
>> Only, Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint
>> coverage in this area I roam analog. I can't *force*
>> CDMA roaming.
>>

> Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely
> why the PRL was invented, to control what systems the
> customers could access under company control. FCC is
> bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
> differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent
> off-market roaming, no consumer controls on his own
> phone).
>
> Follow the money....

Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
Otherwise the PRL, etc. are terms YOU agree
to in return for using/being serviced by their
network/service. There is the cost of the
service YOU agree to pay as well.

In short, YOU have all the control. (unless
your tinfoil hat is leaking).

-Quick
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:32:15 PM

"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.

Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
company-loving friend.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:32:16 PM

Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

>"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
>>

>Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
>company-loving friend.

Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
calls?

--
Jack Hamilton
California

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
>>

> Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed
> and agreed to, my company-loving friend.

Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:01:20 PM

Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in

> Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
> calls?

Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no business.

This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:01:21 PM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
> Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in
>
>> Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
>> make phone calls?
>>

> Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no
> business.
>
> This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
businesses before cell phones.

And those airline companies. They're doing the same
thing. You're forced to use those too right?

It's called cost of doing business. I suppose you're
going to argue that the government should supply
you with whatever services you need to conduct
whatever business you can think of and they should
force private companies to supply you those services.

I think they may have turned up the mind control beam
they have aimed at you a bit too high and there was
some collateral damage...

-Quick
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:10:04 PM

> Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
> arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
> businesses before cell phones.

Before cellphones there was IMTS. I was a customer...(c;

Your attempt at flamewar bounces off the teflon.

By the way, IMTS worked great....er, ah....once you got a channel...

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:10:52 PM

> Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.
>
> -Quick

Yawn....
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:13:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
> > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
> > roaming.
>
> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
wrong?

Yes, it is. There are just a couple of phones that don't have 800 MHz
analogy capability. 95+% do, and can roam on analog, when traveling out of
SPCS native coverage. As I understand it though, SPCS is converting some
analog roaming agreements to digital roaming, when it is available.

Bob
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:13:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
Doesn't make sense to me.

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
>> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
>> > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes
>> > analog
>> > roaming.
>>
>> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog
>> *anything*,
>> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
> wrong?
>
> Yes, it is. There are just a couple of phones that don't have 800 MHz
> analogy capability. 95+% do, and can roam on analog, when traveling out of
> SPCS native coverage. As I understand it though, SPCS is converting some
> analog roaming agreements to digital roaming, when it is available.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:38:27 PM

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides
CDMA?
> Doesn't make sense to me.

Could be a number of reasons why, price, or that one provider offers a more
extensive coverage area out in the boonies with analog coverage. That said,
they are starting to change some of their roaming agreements from analog to
digital.

Bob
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:38:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
market that supports it.

> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides
> CDMA?
>> Doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Could be a number of reasons why, price, or that one provider offers a
> more
> extensive coverage area out in the boonies with analog coverage. That
> said,
> they are starting to change some of their roaming agreements from analog
> digital.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:48:47 PM

> It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
> such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
> market that supports it.

It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
that were only 1900 CDMA.

Bob
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:48:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that allow
then to roam on digital networks.

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p vjqe.2052$pa3.1428@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
>> such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
>> market that supports it.
>
> It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
> capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
> that were only 1900 CDMA.
>
> Bob

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:15:07 PM

> Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that
allow
> then to roam on digital networks.

Who says they don't? That doesn't mean though that they will work out in the
boonies, where there is analog coverage, but no digital coverage.

Bob
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 12:30:43 AM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:01:20 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:
>Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no business.
>This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

You should start your own cellphone company! You could put the towers
where you need them, so you'll always have service!

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> Your attempt at flamewar

You're the one who likes to call everyone company shills, but *they're* the
people instigating flamewars?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:59:30 AM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
> Doesn't make sense to me.

The theory that I've heard, that makes sense, is that originally they only
inked analog roaming agreements to make it look like no one else had clear
"all-digital" calls. If you were on another carrier, it'd be analog.

That was several years ago. They're finally starting to do CDMA roaming
agreements now.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:02:31 AM

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
>>such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
>>market that supports it.
>

> It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
> capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
> that were only 1900 CDMA.

Yet up between Victorville and Barstow, CA, I roam analog, and I believe
Verizon has digital coverage there. It's a no-man's land, but there is
*some* digital coverage there and Verizon's coverage in this area is pretty
extensive.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:22:13 PM

It used to be that all their phones were PCS only. I think they should
have some if not most of their phones as PCS only. It is disappointing
that all of their current all digital phones include cellular. Although
I do have an old Vision phone that is PCS only, since the screen is so
small and dim compared to my dual band phone that I just have the dual
set to Sprint PCS only. I have made two, count 'em two, roaming calls
ever. It was, a few years ago, before Sprint PCS expanded coverage to
my parents house. And those were just to test the phone, to see if the
analog parts of the phone did work.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:30:18 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:31:18 -0700, "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net>
wrote:

>Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
>Doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps to make sure the phone doesn't switch to partner coverage in
an area where Sprint coverage exists.

The right county, wrong building scenario.
Gravity is "only a theory"

Adress is partially sdrawkcab
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:30:19 PM

Bob Tenney wrote:

> Perhaps to make sure the phone doesn't switch to partner coverage in
> an area where Sprint coverage exists.

You can do that with the PRL without resorting to *only* using analog
coverage from your roaming partners.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:57:51 AM

Maybe because the other carrier wanted too much money for digital
roaming. Maybe the other carrier is having digital capacity problems
already. Who knows? Who cares? Most people don't need to roam.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:46:40 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> It used to be that all their phones were PCS only. I think they should
> have some if not most of their phones as PCS only. It is disappointing
> that all of their current all digital phones include cellular. Although
> I do have an old Vision phone that is PCS only, since the screen is so
> small and dim compared to my dual band phone that I just have the dual
> set to Sprint PCS only. I have made two, count 'em two, roaming calls
> ever. It was, a few years ago, before Sprint PCS expanded coverage to
> my parents house. And those were just to test the phone, to see if the
> analog parts of the phone did work.

Boy, I gotta disagree with your first sentence above Jerome. IIRC, SPCS's
first phones - Sony Z-100 & Sony 1101 were 1900 MHz CDMA only, but the
follow up model, Sony 1201 was 1900 MHz CDMA, and 800 MHz Analog. My first
phones with SPCS back in 98 were the Sony 1201 and the equivalent model with
a Qualcomm name slapped on it. Both these phones could roam on analog.

There were a few TP models that were 1900 CDMA only, but there were also TP
phones with analog capability as well.

Bob
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:34:28 AM

Steve Sobol wrote
> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only, Automatic
> and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this area I roam
> analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.

I know that SprintPCS likes to confuse the issue, but what does analog
vs. digital have to do with roaming settings? Does "analog roam" on
SprintPCS mean that you are forced into analog mode, which, since
SprintPCS has no native analog service, implies roaming? On VZW phones,
the menus on the phone quite properly have analog vs. digital selections
(such as "Analog Only") in one menu, and roaming selections (such as
Home Only, Auto/A, Auto/B) in another. New VZW users, obviously
influenced by the SprintPCS misinformation, often post messages to the
effect that "my phone went into analog; doesn't that means that I am
roaming?".
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:02:16 AM

He said it could roam CDMA. He did not say it would be roaming CDMA.
It might be roaming analog. He did not say you could force CDMA
roaming. Although if you set it to automatic and it says Digital
Roaming, it will be CDMA. Since that is the only digital mode the
phones have.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:14:11 PM

CharlesH wrote:

>> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only,
>> Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this
>> area I roam analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.
>

> I know that SprintPCS likes to confuse the issue, but what does analog
> vs. digital have to do with roaming settings? Does "analog roam" on
> SprintPCS mean that you are forced into analog mode, which, since
> SprintPCS has no native analog service, implies roaming?

Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although that's no
longer the case.

With much analog coverage going away, I'm not sure why Sprint doesn't update
their roaming options. Of course, the Sprint phone I have now was bought
used, but the new phone I got from them a year ago was brand-new and had the
same options.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:15:18 AM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
news:D 8k7dj$uev$1@ratbert.glorb.com:

> Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although
> that's no longer the case.

Before VZW cut us off roaming to Sprint in-market in the dead zones, it
roamed to SPCS on CDMA every time it couldn't find Alltel's 800 system.
Sprint doesn't have analog on 1900 Mhz.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
chalk.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:15:19 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:

>>Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although
>>that's no longer the case.

> Before VZW cut us off roaming to Sprint in-market in the dead zones, it
> roamed to SPCS on CDMA every time it couldn't find Alltel's 800 system.
> Sprint doesn't have analog on 1900 Mhz.

Uhhhh

I knew that, Larry, but I was talking about Sprint phones roaming off
Sprint's network (remember, I left Verizon for Sprint last June).

--

!