A good article on nation wide coverage; suggesting it ain'..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6232656-1.html?tag=nl.e501
Answering the question "When is nationwide coverage, not nationwide?

And this was kool as well, the expanded carrier chart, comparing all
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7609_7-5537615-11.html?tag=txt

--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

If you'd like to get a better price for new service, please see us on-line:
http://verizon.better-price.biz
http://nextel.better-price.biz
http://cingular.better-price.biz
http://sprint.better-price.biz
38 answers Last reply
More about good article nation wide coverage suggesting
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
    > And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
    > pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
    > almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.

    Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    roaming. Pull that and both their coverage drops drastically especially
    Sprint's. Looking at the maps for digital only coverage I'd say
    Cingular is quite a bit ahead although their national map is a bit
    premature since it clearly includes some roamer partners to be GSM that
    haven't converted yet. My Cingular GAIT plan with both GSM and TDMA
    blows them all out of the water for digital coverage, plus it also has
    analog roaming, however technically the article is correct since
    Cingular no longer officially offers a plan with roaming off GSM (got to
    be the stupidest decision ever made by a wireless company)--someone off
    the street would have no way of knowing the GAIT option can be added to
    the current plans for use with used GAIT phones.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    If you have a Sprint PCS phone that has an analog mode, Sprint PCS's
    roaming includes analog, but Sprint PCS's coverage is all PCS and all
    digital.
    If you have a verizon phone that has an analog mode, a very small part
    of verizon's coverage is still analog, and you could utilize verizon's
    analog roaming, what little there is of it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    > roaming.

    Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
    doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

    --
    I miss my .signature.

    clifto wrote:

    >>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    >>roaming.
    >
    > Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
    > doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

    They don't have analog network capacity anywhere. Oddly enough, their Terms
    of Service do speak about Sprint's "analog and PCS digital network".

    They DO have several tri-mode phones. My previous and current Sprint phones
    are tri-mode, so they do include analog capability. If you roam off Sprint's
    network, chances are still good that you'll be roaming analog, so they need
    some tri-mode phones in their lineup.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    > In article <kq8pe.427$Oq7.79@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
    > dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam says...
    >
    >>And this article does imply that they think that sprint and verizon lead the
    >>pack. But of course it "depends. Also below is an expanded carrier chart,
    >>almost as good as mountain wireless: dr.
    >>

    > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    > roaming.

    That characterization was never made on the article, and Sprint and
    Verizon clearly define the differences between on-network and roaming
    (in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
    from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    clifto wrote:
    > Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    >
    >>Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    >>roaming.
    >

    > Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
    > doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that wrong?

    Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
    common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
    on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal, but the phones are
    programmed to mak eit clear when you're actually roaming (and unless you
    specifically add it to your account, roaming is not included).

    --

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > clifto wrote:
    >
    >> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes
    >>> analog roaming.
    >>

    >> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog
    >> *anything*,
    >> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
    >> wrong?
    >

    > Some of their phones have analog roam capability, but it's becoming more
    > common for the phones to be CDMA only. Regardless, you CAN roam in CDMA
    > on any Sprint phone if there's no Sprint signal

    You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only, Automatic and
    Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this area I roam analog. I
    can't *force* CDMA roaming.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.nextel,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in

    > (in fact, the rumbling is that Verizon pretty much prevents its phones
    > from roaming at all, via the new America's Choice 2 PRLs).

    It's been that way a long time, now. In any area VZW is supposed to have
    service, it will not roam to SPCS or Alltel.

    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

    > You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only,
    > Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this
    > area I roam analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.

    Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely why the PRL was
    invented, to control what systems the customers could access under company
    control. FCC is bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
    differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent off-market roaming, no
    consumer controls on his own phone).

    Follow the money....

    Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
    >
    >> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint
    >> Only, Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint
    >> coverage in this area I roam analog. I can't *force*
    >> CDMA roaming.
    >>

    > Neither can anyone else on any system. That is precisely
    > why the PRL was invented, to control what systems the
    > customers could access under company control. FCC is
    > bought and paid for, so they get away with it (queer
    > differences in modulation schemes, PRL to prevent
    > off-market roaming, no consumer controls on his own
    > phone).
    >
    > Follow the money....

    Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
    Otherwise the PRL, etc. are terms YOU agree
    to in return for using/being serviced by their
    network/service. There is the cost of the
    service YOU agree to pay as well.

    In short, YOU have all the control. (unless
    your tinfoil hat is leaking).

    -Quick

    "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

    > Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.

    Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
    company-loving friend.

    --
    Larry

    You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and your outlined in
    chalk.

    Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:

    >"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
    >>

    >Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed and agreed to, my
    >company-loving friend.

    Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
    calls?

    --
    Jack Hamilton
    California

    Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Larry, you don't have to use the service... DUH.
    >>

    > Not true. We are forced to use what the FCC has licensed
    > and agreed to, my company-loving friend.

    Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.

    -Quick

    Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in

    > Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to make phone
    > calls?

    Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no business.

    This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

    --

    Larry W4CSC wrote:
    > Jack Hamilton <jfh@acm.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
    >> make phone calls?
    >>

    > Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no
    > business.
    >
    > This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

    Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
    arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
    businesses before cell phones.

    And those airline companies. They're doing the same
    thing. You're forced to use those too right?

    It's called cost of doing business. I suppose you're
    going to argue that the government should supply
    you with whatever services you need to conduct
    whatever business you can think of and they should
    force private companies to supply you those services.

    I think they may have turned up the mind control beam
    they have aimed at you a bit too high and there was
    some collateral damage...

    > Holy cow! I don't have a business. Am I going to be
    > arrested? And I guess you're right, there weren't any
    > businesses before cell phones.

    Before cellphones there was IMTS. I was a customer...(c;

    Your attempt at flamewar bounces off the teflon.

    By the way, IMTS worked great....er, ah....once you got a channel...

    --

    > Ding! I knew the black helicopters were involved.
    >
    > -Quick

    Yawn....
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
    > Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    > > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes analog
    > > roaming.
    >
    > Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog *anything*,
    > doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
    wrong?

    Yes, it is. There are just a couple of phones that don't have 800 MHz
    analogy capability. 95+% do, and can roam on analog, when traveling out of
    SPCS native coverage. As I understand it though, SPCS is converting some
    analog roaming agreements to digital roaming, when it is available.

    Bob
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "clifto" <clifto@clifto.com> wrote in message
    >> Jud Hardcastle wrote:
    >> > Only because both Sprint and Verizon's national coverage includes
    >> > analog
    >> > roaming.
    >>
    >> Somewhere I got the impression that Sprint doesn't have analog
    >> *anything*,
    >> doesn't even have analog capability in most of their phones. Is that
    > wrong?
    >
    > Yes, it is. There are just a couple of phones that don't have 800 MHz
    > analogy capability. 95+% do, and can roam on analog, when traveling out of
    > SPCS native coverage. As I understand it though, SPCS is converting some
    > analog roaming agreements to digital roaming, when it is available.
    >
    > Bob

  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides
    CDMA?
    > Doesn't make sense to me.

    Could be a number of reasons why, price, or that one provider offers a more
    extensive coverage area out in the boonies with analog coverage. That said,
    they are starting to change some of their roaming agreements from analog to
    digital.

    Bob
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
    such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
    market that supports it.

    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides
    > CDMA?
    >> Doesn't make sense to me.
    >
    > Could be a number of reasons why, price, or that one provider offers a
    > more
    > extensive coverage area out in the boonies with analog coverage. That
    > said,
    > they are starting to change some of their roaming agreements from analog
    > digital.
    >
    > Bob

  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
    > such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
    > market that supports it.

    It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
    capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
    that were only 1900 CDMA.

    Bob
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that allow
    then to roam on digital networks.

    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
    >> such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
    >> market that supports it.
    >
    > It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
    > capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
    > that were only 1900 CDMA.
    >
    > Bob

  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > Then the PDAs that are also 800 Mhz compatible need to have PRLs that
    allow
    > then to roam on digital networks.

    Who says they don't? That doesn't mean though that they will work out in the
    boonies, where there is analog coverage, but no digital coverage.

    Bob

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:01:20 -0400, Larry W4CSC <noone@home.com> wrote:
    >Yes. It's called "being in business". No phone, no business.
    >This isn't about toy telephones for teenagers....

    You should start your own cellphone company! You could put the towers
    where you need them, so you'll always have service!

    --
    Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
    njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > Your attempt at flamewar

    You're the one who likes to call everyone company shills, but *they're* the
    people instigating flamewars?

    Riiiiiiiiiiight.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
    > Doesn't make sense to me.

    The theory that I've heard, that makes sense, is that originally they only
    inked analog roaming agreements to make it look like no one else had clear
    "all-digital" calls. If you were on another carrier, it'd be analog.

    That was several years ago. They're finally starting to do CDMA roaming
    agreements now.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>It seems that if they are going to offer phones that do not offer analog
    >>such as PDAs, then they need to have digital roaming agreements in any
    >>market that supports it.
    >

    > It's not "going", it's already been. A PDA or two don't have analog
    > capability, and there were a couple of phones issued a couple of years ago
    > that were only 1900 CDMA.

    Yet up between Victorville and Barstow, CA, I roam analog, and I believe
    Verizon has digital coverage there. It's a no-man's land, but there is
    *some* digital coverage there and Verizon's coverage in this area is pretty
    extensive.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    It used to be that all their phones were PCS only. I think they should
    have some if not most of their phones as PCS only. It is disappointing
    that all of their current all digital phones include cellular. Although
    I do have an old Vision phone that is PCS only, since the screen is so
    small and dim compared to my dual band phone that I just have the dual
    set to Sprint PCS only. I have made two, count 'em two, roaming calls
    ever. It was, a few years ago, before Sprint PCS expanded coverage to
    my parents house. And those were just to test the phone, to see if the
    analog parts of the phone did work.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:31:18 -0700, "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net>
    wrote:

    >Why would Sprint want to roam analog when the roaming partner provides CDMA?
    >Doesn't make sense to me.

    Perhaps to make sure the phone doesn't switch to partner coverage in
    an area where Sprint coverage exists.

    The right county, wrong building scenario.
    Gravity is "only a theory"

    Adress is partially sdrawkcab
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Bob Tenney wrote:

    > Perhaps to make sure the phone doesn't switch to partner coverage in
    > an area where Sprint coverage exists.

    You can do that with the PRL without resorting to *only* using analog
    coverage from your roaming partners.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Maybe because the other carrier wanted too much money for digital
    roaming. Maybe the other carrier is having digital capacity problems
    already. Who knows? Who cares? Most people don't need to roam.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > It used to be that all their phones were PCS only. I think they should
    > have some if not most of their phones as PCS only. It is disappointing
    > that all of their current all digital phones include cellular. Although
    > I do have an old Vision phone that is PCS only, since the screen is so
    > small and dim compared to my dual band phone that I just have the dual
    > set to Sprint PCS only. I have made two, count 'em two, roaming calls
    > ever. It was, a few years ago, before Sprint PCS expanded coverage to
    > my parents house. And those were just to test the phone, to see if the
    > analog parts of the phone did work.

    Boy, I gotta disagree with your first sentence above Jerome. IIRC, SPCS's
    first phones - Sony Z-100 & Sony 1101 were 1900 MHz CDMA only, but the
    follow up model, Sony 1201 was 1900 MHz CDMA, and 800 MHz Analog. My first
    phones with SPCS back in 98 were the Sony 1201 and the equivalent model with
    a Qualcomm name slapped on it. Both these phones could roam on analog.

    There were a few TP models that were 1900 CDMA only, but there were also TP
    phones with analog capability as well.

    Bob

    Steve Sobol wrote
    > You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only, Automatic
    > and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this area I roam
    > analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.

    I know that SprintPCS likes to confuse the issue, but what does analog
    vs. digital have to do with roaming settings? Does "analog roam" on
    SprintPCS mean that you are forced into analog mode, which, since
    SprintPCS has no native analog service, implies roaming? On VZW phones,
    the menus on the phone quite properly have analog vs. digital selections
    (such as "Analog Only") in one menu, and roaming selections (such as
    Home Only, Auto/A, Auto/B) in another. New VZW users, obviously
    influenced by the SprintPCS misinformation, often post messages to the
    effect that "my phone went into analog; doesn't that means that I am
    roaming?".

    He said it could roam CDMA. He did not say it would be roaming CDMA.
    It might be roaming analog. He did not say you could force CDMA
    roaming. Although if you set it to automatic and it says Digital
    Roaming, it will be CDMA. Since that is the only digital mode the
    phones have.

    CharlesH wrote:

    >> You can? I can't. My phones' roaming settings are Sprint Only,
    >> Automatic and Analog Roam, and when I leave Sprint coverage in this
    >> area I roam analog. I can't *force* CDMA roaming.
    >

    > I know that SprintPCS likes to confuse the issue, but what does analog
    > vs. digital have to do with roaming settings? Does "analog roam" on
    > SprintPCS mean that you are forced into analog mode, which, since
    > SprintPCS has no native analog service, implies roaming?

    Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although that's no
    longer the case.

    With much analog coverage going away, I'm not sure why Sprint doesn't update
    their roaming options. Of course, the Sprint phone I have now was bought
    used, but the new phone I got from them a year ago was brand-new and had the
    same options.

    --

    > Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although
    > that's no longer the case.

    Before VZW cut us off roaming to Sprint in-market in the dead zones, it
    roamed to SPCS on CDMA every time it couldn't find Alltel's 800 system.
    Sprint doesn't have analog on 1900 Mhz.

    --

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    >>Yes. It used to be that all Sprint roaming was analog - although
    >>that's no longer the case.

    > Before VZW cut us off roaming to Sprint in-market in the dead zones, it
    > roamed to SPCS on CDMA every time it couldn't find Alltel's 800 system.
    > Sprint doesn't have analog on 1900 Mhz.

    Uhhhh

    I knew that, Larry, but I was talking about Sprint phones roaming off
    Sprint's network (remember, I left Verizon for Sprint last June).

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Cingular Verizon Internet Service Providers Product