Help? Problems with home network!

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I have two computers on a 4 port router. It was working fine and both computers could share files etc... Both are using XP home, however I had to reinstall the os on one of them because the install got corrupted. Both are on the same workgroup. I can run the network wizard on the cpu with the new install but when i try to run the wizard on the other cpu the wizard doesnt even open up and when i try to access the "view workgroup" window i get a message saying I "dont have permission to access the workgroup" ( I get this message when i do this for both computers) I dont know much about networking just enough to set up a small home network but I'm clueless to solve this problem. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

Oh. I tried running the wizard off the xp disc on the cpu that wont open the wizard and it still doesnt open.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sigma on 03/07/05 04:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

riser

Illustrious
Without even worrying about the wizard.. are both computers picking up valid IPs? If so, can you ping the other computer?
Put both computers on the same Workgroup, make sure PC names are different. Set your user accounts up with Administrators Rights. Try running your wizard again.

Post back what you find out and either I or someone else will get back to you on this..

Riser