Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build in over 10 years.

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 14, 2011 10:00:50 PM

Hello, I am going to attempt my first PC build in over 10 years (last time i built a PC Windows ME was just released). I have 2 dell computers that I purchased in 2001 that have served me well (apparently I am lucky) and I now am finally looking to get a new computer. I really don't have a fixed budget, I just want something that will fit my needs and not be overkill. After doing research for about a month and picking over the insane amount of information I have finally decided to pick my build, so here it goes. And I apologize if some things are just utterly ridiculous.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820145324
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131702
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116992

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I haven't decided on a tower or a graphics card, any recommendations?

Sad to say I will not be using this computer for gaming. I will be using this computer for music production. I will be running Ableton 8. Inside Ableton 8 I will be running secondary programs like NI Massive and Zebra 2 (they run inside Ableton, but are stand alone programs as well.) I would like to have a dual monitor setup as I will also be doing some video production.

Any thoughts, suggestions, corrections, and criticism would be greatly appreciated.
So far the build it at $914

Thank you,
Eric

More about : build years

August 15, 2011 12:53:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $189.99
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $179.99 FREE SHIPPING Save $6 w/ promo code ASUS729, ends 8/31
ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $279.99 FREE SHIPPING
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99
Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 x Fractal High Performance 140mm fans
August 15, 2011 1:06:53 AM

OK...I just read where there will be no gaming for this build. If that's the case, then take a look at these boards and psu down below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99
XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3-... <----- ASRock Z68 Pro3-M

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3 <----- ASRock Z68 Pro3

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/IntelZ68/index.asp <----- click some links on there and check it out.
Related resources
August 15, 2011 2:52:27 AM

thebaronn said:
Hello, I am going to attempt my first PC build in over 10 years (last time i built a PC Windows ME was just released). I have 2 dell computers that I purchased in 2001 that have served me well (apparently I am lucky) and I now am finally looking to get a new computer. I really don't have a fixed budget, I just want something that will fit my needs and not be overkill. After doing research for about a month and picking over the insane amount of information I have finally decided to pick my build, so here it goes. And I apologize if some things are just utterly ridiculous.

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820145324
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131702
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116992

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
Item #: N82E16835103065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I haven't decided on a tower or a graphics card, any recommendations?

Sad to say I will not be using this computer for gaming. I will be using this computer for music production. I will be running Ableton 8. Inside Ableton 8 I will be running secondary programs like NI Massive and Zebra 2 (they run inside Ableton, but are stand alone programs as well.) I would like to have a dual monitor setup as I will also be doing some video production.

Any thoughts, suggestions, corrections, and criticism would be greatly appreciated.
So far the build it at $914

Thank you,
Eric



As far as mobo, I would go with z68 since you will most likely be transcoding. I would actually skip a GPU altogether (saving you hundreds of dollars) and use the sandy bridge processor's integrated graphics (HD3000) to make videos, encode, etc. It will be much faster than a gpu.

You can OC the SB 2600k even more by getting this mobo:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would suggest getting a better cooler since not getting a GPU will be saving you hundreds of dollars:
Noctua d-14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Finally, since you will be using this build for music production, get a silent pc case
Antec p183
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

August 15, 2011 8:30:47 PM


WoW! That is even more information to process. I thought that since I wanted a dual monitor setup I needed some sort of video card. It's a good thing i have time, cause i may never decide what to do with all the options out there. Well, back to the drawing board.

Thank you for your input,

Eric
August 15, 2011 11:57:41 PM

Yes, HD3000 supports dual monitors. You need to find a z68 mobo with two video outputs though.
August 16, 2011 12:49:13 AM

Is the ripjaws memory better than corsair (I thought corsair was the most reliable).
Would a GPU hurt? If it makes things easier and gives me the ability to play games at a later date(which may be never). But you know, just in case....
August 16, 2011 12:59:06 AM

A GPU would not hurt but remember the GPU will be the first to get outdated so if you do not need it, I do not suggest spending hundreds on a GPU. When you need a GPU, just get one then

I also do not like the current stock of videos cards - they are noisy, run hot, and are inefficient.
August 16, 2011 1:08:21 AM

apparently I ham having trouble locating a mobo with dual video outputs.
Just when I thought I had it all figuered out.
Thank you for all your advice.
August 16, 2011 1:48:42 AM

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129174
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231314
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131730
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116992
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835608018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


So this appears to be what we have.
4 more questions (I would say 4 last questions, but that would be a lie).
Is this a good amount of RAM and a good brand (It does have all 5stars). Should I go higher? Go with Corsair?
Is this the correct version of windows? (I read that one version doesn't support over 4GB of memory or something to that effect)
It looks compatible, but is it?
Do I need anything else to assemble this beauty?

Thank you again for your input.
August 16, 2011 1:56:50 AM

Ram is great. G Skill is a very reputable brand.

Physical RAM limits for windows 7:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28v=vs...

scroll down a bit. The version you chose has a limit of 192GB....
You can save some money by buying home premium. For most users, home premium offers all the services you will ever need.

Professional enables you to use your comp as a host so others computers can access it and some other features for businesses....but the decision is up to you.

Everything is compatible.

If you need to a quick prime ron installation, spend some time and look over these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=relm...
August 16, 2011 2:59:27 AM

Should I add more RAM? I just want RAM to not be an issue.

And, of course I just noticed, I do not have a hard drive!

Now I have read that some suggest a SSD (I have no idea...) for windows and a regular hard drive for everything else?
August 16, 2011 3:01:25 AM

Yes, get the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb as the hdd. m4 crucual 120gb as your boot drive+ applications ssd.
August 16, 2011 3:36:51 AM

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129174
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...
Item #: N82E16817139006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231314
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This X2 for 16GB total

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131730
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835608018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116986
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820148448
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I took your advice and swapped out the windows versions. Then I decided to max out the memory at 16GB (for that version of windows).

Am I missing anything before I pull the trigger?

August 16, 2011 4:16:48 AM

Ram over 8gb does not add much performance increase but it is your call. Overall, a great build.
August 16, 2011 4:36:13 AM

chillin15 said:
Ram over 8gb does not add much performance increase but it is your call. Overall, a great build.

Thank you very much for your help.
I'm going to watch those videos after wook tomorrow and double check that I dont need anything and then fire.

Im getting 2 HannsG displays http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I know that they are low end, but I have a hannsG i bought from costco 2 years ago (it is 25 or 27" and it wasnt widescreen, it was huge!) I gave it to my buddy when I moved and it has been on 24/7 for 2 years and still looks great.

Do I need to buy any cables?
Anything else you reccommend?\

Thank you again
Eric
August 16, 2011 5:06:34 AM

I believe you are all set. gl, glad you found my advice helpful
September 2, 2011 4:51:00 AM

Hello again! My power supply was/is out of stock.
Should I wait for it (they do not have a restock date) or purchase something else?
I was looking at this other corsair:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Figures, I have good luck like that.
When I do get the power, I will probably find out that I have a rare DOA motherboard! LOL
September 3, 2011 4:36:12 AM

thebaronn said:
Hello again! My power supply was/is out of stock.
Should I wait for it (they do not have a restock date) or purchase something else?
I was looking at this other corsair:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Figures, I have good luck like that.
When I do get the power, I will probably find out that I have a rare DOA motherboard! LOL


The HX line is even better than the TX line. That is a good choice.
September 3, 2011 4:43:42 AM

@ Why_Me

That Extreme4 MoBo has problems.
September 3, 2011 5:15:22 AM

what probs does the extreme 4 have?
!