Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hello,

im from Perú, and here the prices are these:

AMD FX-8150: $326
AMD FX-8120: $273
AMD Phenom II X4 965: $165
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T: $207

im building a gaming pc from scratch, im buyin a HD6950 ($366).

Wich processor would be the best for gaming, because im reading some bulldozer reviews and dont seem so great.

thanks in advance for the help.

Agree. +1

The FX's perform no faster the than the Phenom's in games and very little games can use beyond 6 cores. So it's more cost effective to get the Phenom II x4 than the others. ;)

Unless you were building a server you don't want to buy a Bulldozer chip. Most games don't benefit from having 6 cores, so based on the choices presented I would chose the AMD Phenom II X4 965: $165.
If I were building a new computer I would chose the Intel i5, but it does cost a lot more money, but as the computer is just for games then you might as well go for the cheaper Phenom and buy a better graphics card with the money saved.

The strength of bulldozer is 8 cores, which is great for multithreaded apps.
Unfortunately, most games use only two or three fast cores, making the extra cores on bulldozer or X6 largely unused.

Now, in the $200 price range, you should consider a sandy bridge 2500K.
If you are near a microcenter, they sell them for $180 if you walk in.

You kinda missed a key detail in his/her post. ;)

im from Perú, and here the prices are these:

:pfff:

Sometime, depending on where you live, you dont have the luxury of having or being able to afford certain things.

The best way to help others is to work with them on what there able to get or what they want.

In this case this user whats an AMD cpu, so you have to work with that.

Now you can "suggest" something else like geofelt did but you cant just say "get" something else without a reason. ;)

Now dont get me wrong, the Core i5 2500's are really good cpu's for gaming, that cant be denied. Although what someone "want/able to get" will always be the deciding factor. ;)

lueszu

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
yeap,

we pay a lot more for PC, the 500 gaming machine of tom's here cost like 800 or 900. But we are used to :p, import taxes and retail profit.

im gonna wait until xmas to see how much the core i5 drops, if i buy intel im going for the 2500k with gtx560 Ti.

thx all for your answers.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Let me clarify. I didn't give a reason for getting an i5 sandy bridge over a phenom or bulldozer. The reason is they do more work, are more efficient, and are a similar price. If you can't get an i5 sandy bridge in your area, or if the markup is too much, get a phenom. Bulldozer is way overpriced for what it does.