Kodak Quality settings?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 23, 2005 9:13:44 PM

Is there anything to be gained from leaving the quality set at the very
highest ,
in my case Best XXX (4MP) where I intend to print off 6 x 4 prints?

There is another setting on my Kodak DX6490 namely Best XXX 3:2 (3.5 MP)
Is that also too high a setting for 6 x 4 prints?

I don't want to reduce the number of pics I can fit onto the SD card if I
can get good sharp prints
from a lower setting but I do if there is even the slightest gain.

Any advice appreciated.

Brian

More about : kodak quality settings

March 23, 2005 9:13:45 PM

In article <d1sbd9$k5b$1@dorito.esatclear.ie>, certsnsearches@ireland.com
says...
> Is there anything to be gained from leaving the quality set at the very
> highest ,
> in my case Best XXX (4MP) where I intend to print off 6 x 4 prints?
>
> There is another setting on my Kodak DX6490 namely Best XXX 3:2 (3.5 MP)
> Is that also too high a setting for 6 x 4 prints?
>
> I don't want to reduce the number of pics I can fit onto the SD card if I
> can get good sharp prints
> from a lower setting but I do if there is even the slightest gain.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Brian

With the amount of compression used in the Kodak 6490 I can only recomend
that you ONLY use the highest possible setting.

The XXX 3:2 setting simply shapes the photo pre-cropped for 4x6 prints.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

certsnsearches wrote:
> Is there anything to be gained from leaving the quality set at the very
> highest ,
> in my case Best XXX (4MP) where I intend to print off 6 x 4 prints?
>
> There is another setting on my Kodak DX6490 namely Best XXX 3:2 (3.5 MP)
> Is that also too high a setting for 6 x 4 prints?
>
> I don't want to reduce the number of pics I can fit onto the SD card if I
> can get good sharp prints
> from a lower setting but I do if there is even the slightest gain.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Brian

You misunderstand the settings. If you will look at the manual (you do
know what that is, right), then you will find that the hightest setting
is a 4mp setting, with an aspect ratio that will require cropping if you
print it on 4x6 paper. The Best XXX 3:2 setting is 3.5 mp, and will
print on 4x6 paper with no cropping. Basically, the camera just
discards the extra pixels to get to a size that will print on 4x6 paper
without cropping. If you intend to print at 4x6 size, then use the
3.5mp setting. Otherwise, use the 4mp setting and get as much image as
the camera can capture.
There is NO difference in quality between the settings, just a
'pre-cropping' of the image in the camera to fit the 4x6 format.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 23, 2005 11:40:03 PM

certsnsearches wrote:
> Is there anything to be gained from leaving the quality set at the very
> highest ,
> in my case Best XXX (4MP) where I intend to print off 6 x 4 prints?
>
> There is another setting on my Kodak DX6490 namely Best XXX 3:2 (3.5 MP)
> Is that also too high a setting for 6 x 4 prints?
>
> I don't want to reduce the number of pics I can fit onto the SD card if I
> can get good sharp prints
> from a lower setting but I do if there is even the slightest gain.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Brian

I have that camera. The 3.MP setting is ideal for 6x4 prints as the camera only
records a 3:2 ratio image. It is exactly the same image quality (jpeg
compression & pixel width) as the 4MP setting.

Kinda makes the 4MP claim a bit misleading hey? You can take full benefit of the
4MP setting if you print two photos on an A4 page.

--
Ben
Anonymous

Hi Cert,

If you are going to make prints, the more information the better. Results
in larger files but if printing is your end result, I would use the best
setting. Also, in your camera you have the option of 3.5 MP - best
(optimized ratio for 4" x 6" prints, 3:2). I would take a picture with it
and for experimentation one at the best but other format. You will see the
difference. Both will yield excellent results but the optimized version
should yield the best.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company