August 13, 2012 5:49:21 PM

Specs:
AMD Phenom II Dual Core 3.0GHz
Corsair GS700 700W Powersupply
Asus m4a77td
ADATA 240-pin DDR3 2GB (x2)
G.Skill Ripjaw 240-pin DDR3 4GB (x2)

Story:
I ordered 8GB of RAM to add to my original 4GB the computer came with. Yes, I didn't build it, however I did change the graphics card, PSU and a HDD on my own without any issues, so this isn't my first time opening it up, but I did make a few mistakes...
After a few hours of gaming I decided I wanted to install the RAM that's been staring me down for the past two days. I shut down my computer and unplugged everything. I didn't flip the power supply switch, and I noticed that after I had it laid my table, ready to be opened. So I flip the switch off before I touch any of the components. Then I touch the PSU for a few seconds to ground myself. I then start by opening the latches; this is where it gets bad, The nervousness after I screwed up gets a hold of me apparently, I got the RAM in, but it wouldn't latch fully so I was like, "whatever". I got everything set up and that's when I noticed the front panel light wasn't on, but my PSU light was. I thought, "Okay, so I just need to get it to latch in properly." I then flip PSU switch, unplug, open, and thinking of a way to get it in. So, I looked up videos on YouTube and I noticed some people use some force, but it latches automatically, so I try to do the same. I push on the ends of the RAM forcing it, but it won't budge, and eventually I'm using all of my force without even realizing it till after the fact. I quickly stopped(my thumbs still hurt, like a bruise might). I think about it, then I have an idea I try to push down on the RAM and flip a latch up manually, and it works! I install all the RAM, etc. etc. Then I realize I have my front light on, and I think I'm golden, but no display comes up and my Razor mouse and keyboard aren't lighting up when they normally should.

I uninstall the new RAM, same result.
I uninstall ALL of the RAM; hoping for some error beeping, but same result.

So, now I'm thinking a cracked my motherboard slightly to the point where there isn't a closed path in that area.

Is it safe to say I just need a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance, Tony.

More about : cracked motherboard

a c 328 V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 6:16:41 PM

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 6:19:37 PM

Hopefully not. Make sure the memory is compatible and inserted correctly. I would probably start with the original ram just to be sure. Double check ALL connections everywhere just in case something came loose while you were in there. If you see a visible crack across the board I might agree you need a new motherboard but there are many different things to try first. Under my sig at the bottom of the post is a link to tom's trouble shooting guide made just for instances like this. Read and follow these steps before you do to much else - unless you really just want a new motherboard lol.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 6:26:42 PM

It's a good possibillity. For future reference, first place your old and new RAM side by side to make sure notch and ends are identical. Second, when installing the RAM a gentle rocking motion from end to end works best until the clips snap in. Now on to you MOBO issue. Stressing the MOBO can sometimes cause loose connections. Try going over various areas of the board and stess them gently enough to cause some slight flexing. With only your old RAM installed, wiggle the RAM slightly perpendicular to the clips. Wiggle or flex around any of the MOBO components with heat sinks. Same for you power connections. I know what your thinking but at this point it cant get any worse. Good luck.
August 13, 2012 7:49:31 PM

Quote:
Reset the CMOS memory

I tried this, but I don't know if it was the CMOS. I did this method on two things; one labeled: Chassis (I'm assuming it's just a ground so I looked around some more) and the next labeled: Reset. Since the product isn't sold anymore I can't find the manual online nor the physical copy. So, I'm not sure if it was it or not.

Quote:
Make sure the memory is compatible and inserted correctly. I would probably start with the original ram just to be sure. Double check ALL connections everywhere just in case something came loose while you were in there.

I did all of that. I'll troubleshoot if I have the time. That is a massive wall of text. :??:  Thanks for the link though!

Quote:
Stressing the MOBO can sometimes cause loose connections. Try going over various areas of the board and stess them gently enough to cause some slight flexing. With only your old RAM installed, wiggle the RAM slightly perpendicular to the clips.

Thanks for the tips. The RAM goes in easy like that. I wish I knew that earlier -_- as for the mobo; there appears to be no cracks when I applied pressure across it.

a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 8:04:41 PM

It is a lot, just do one step at a time and you'll be done sooner than you think.
!