beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hello,
I cannot disable the onboard video of this board in order to install a PCI video card. I have tried changing the BIOS setting and searching for a jumper to no avail. The best I have been able to achieve is both the new video card AND the onboard video running at the same time in a dual monitor set-up, but on the same monitor! Someone must have had a similar problem using this board!??

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Check again in the BIOS, but not for disable onboard or integrated, but for which adapter is used for initial boot. Select the video card or slot type (AGP, PCI, etc) you want to use. This sometimes disables the onboard. Also, you may try to update the BIOS to see if additional features were added.

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Ok, I should have said that I selected PCI for the video adapter selection in the BIOS instead of the default onboard selection. That didn't disable it entirely though. Under display settings, both the onboard video and the new video card adapters show up with the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" checked and grayed out. If I uninstall the onboard video driver, and leave the new video card driver installed, the onboard video driver gets reinstalled upon reboot. I hate this motherboard! :~(

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

It is a pretty old board. Is there even an AGP slot ? If there isn't, it might explain that the board was a cut-cost design, meant for onboard video usage.

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
No AGP slot, but two PCI slots and one PCIE slot. Still, you should be able to disable the onboard video to up grade to a better video card. I had this problem a few years ago when I got the board and built this computer. This computer has been under used until recently, but the problem remains. It wasn't that cheap of a board when I bought it, and was advertised as expandable.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Okay. In that case, I'd imagine that the BIOS isn't programmed to realize that PCI add on video cards can be used alone without onboard. I suspect if you plug in a PCI-E, the onboard becomes automatically disabled (this is true for SOME boards, not sure about yours).

You are using a PCI, not PCI-E card, right ?

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Yes, I have a PCI GeForce card that worked along with the onboard video. I put that same card in another computer of mine and it works fine. That PCI card was meant to go into the computer that has the aBit IP-95 board. Just have never been able to completly shut-off or disable the onboard video of the IP-95. Not sure if the onboard video cannot be disabled for the IP-95, or that the PNY GeForce 8400GS card is just not compatable with the board. I'm sure I checked compatability with that board before I ordered the card??

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

It is compatible, just your motherboard is not turning off the onboard graphics. If you have a PCI-E card, I would suggest to try that port first. It is very possible that the video bios posting order is hard set to PCI-E, Onboard, then PCI. So if you install a PCI card without the ability to change this order, you'll always have the onboard enumerated before the PCI card. A lot of newer boards are not expecting PCI video cards these days.

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Don't have a PCI-E card. There was another person on this forum who had the aBit IP-95 board running a GeForce 7300GT card (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/345274-33-graphics-cards-compatible-motherboard), so I think it is possible. I asked him how he got it to work. I will look in the BIOS settings for a video posting order similar to a boot-up posting order. I will also look into updating the BIOS to its latest version in the hopes there are more options.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Great, keep me posted after you got some more results.

beetlenut

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Well I never really solved THAT problem with THAT board, but I ended up updating the BIOS and Hyperion 4-1 chip set drivers and installing a PCI-E video card instead of the older PCI card. The aBit board seemed to like the PCI-E card better and picked it up immediately. Same BIOS configuration, but better results. So computer works better in the end. Thanks to all that replied.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Good to hear there is closure. I suspected that the BIOS wasn't looking for a PCI VGA ROM at boot, so it didn't turn off the onboard.

Cheers.