Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cores not detected by Windows

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2011 1:41:44 AM

Hello,

In Windows, only one core of my i5-2500K is detected in task manager. Device manager detects all four cores, but they are not usable. In addition, the core is maxed at 1.6 GHz.

This is not a BIOS issue; I've tried clearing my CMOS and changed a lot of settings and nothing fixed it. I have tried detecting HAL, and this did not work. I also used EasyBCD to reset my CPU count, but this didn't work either. I've used device manager and uninstalled the CPUs, but this did not make it usable. I have even clean installed windows, but nothing's working.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

More about : cores detected windows

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 1:44:10 AM

What motherboard do you have?

You've tried clearing the CMOS but have you tried updating the BIOS?
a c 120 à CPUs
November 13, 2011 1:48:56 AM

Download cpu-z to evalute your cpu.
Also check your bios settings.
The things you mention really have nothing to do with your cpu settings.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 1:49:58 AM

ilikepi said:
Hello,

In Windows, only one core of my i5-2500K is detected in task manager. Device manager detects all four cores, but they are not usable. In addition, the core is maxed at 1.6 GHz.

This is not a BIOS issue; I've tried clearing my CMOS and changed a lot of settings and nothing fixed it. I have tried detecting HAL, and this did not work. I also used EasyBCD to reset my CPU count, but this didn't work either. I've used device manager and uninstalled the CPUs, but this did not make it usable. I have even clean installed windows, but nothing's working.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Can you try loading another OS and see if it recognizes the cores and makes use of them ? If it doesn't might mean something in bios or board
Score
November 13, 2011 1:52:45 AM

I have the TZ68A+.
I don't think updating the BIOS will do anything since it was working before I cleared my CMOS for the first time (my RAM overclock didn't work).

CPU-Z says that I have 1 core at 1.6 GHz.

I will try another OS right now.

Thanks for the replies!
Score
a c 120 à CPUs
November 13, 2011 1:59:51 AM

ilikepi said:
I have the TZ68A+.
I don't think updating the BIOS will do anything since it was working before I cleared my CMOS for the first time (my RAM overclock didn't work).

CPU-Z says that I have 1 core at 1.6 GHz.

I will try another OS right now.

Thanks for the replies!

Check your System config utility(msconfig)
Boot tab>advanced options
Number of processors should read 1 unchecked
Score
November 13, 2011 3:17:48 AM

I've unchecked the number of cores box before. It had no effect.

I tried Ubuntu, and it also only recognizes one core. BIOS settings, then?
Score
a c 120 à CPUs
November 13, 2011 3:29:25 AM

Why don't you reset/clear your CMOS/BIOS
button on some mobos or remove the battery for 5min.
Reset bios to factory defaults if successful.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 3:38:13 AM

Reset bios . , if it still does not work flash a new or beta bos , still doesn' work bad board or chip ? Can you try the CPU in another known good board ?

Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 4:01:32 AM

What's strange is that everything was working fine before the failed RAM O.C.

When you go into the BIOS what does it say your CPU speed is at?
Score
November 13, 2011 2:29:24 PM

Clearing my CMOS is what started this whole mess...

My bios says that it is at the stock 3.3 GHz.
Score
November 13, 2011 2:29:34 PM

Very strange, considering neither Windows nor Ubuntu showed four cores.

Everything was working after he cleared his CMOS for the first time, although there was boot BSODs and frozen boot logos, which he fixed then. When he tried clearing the CMOS this time, BSODs and frozen logos came back, which he then fixed again because of fixing some settings in the BIOS (I believe it was power management in CPU settings or something of the sort). When he then booted in Windows, there was still only one core.

Jerry6, we'll try another board later this month when we receive one.
Score
November 13, 2011 5:04:14 PM

The BSOD was not related. That was my accident. Same with the frozen logo. It wasn't power management either.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 6:53:41 PM

I'm thinking it's a Software issue.Your BIOS are displaying everything properly which means their's something wrong between the communication of the hardware to software.

I suggest reinstalling Windows.
Score
November 13, 2011 7:01:53 PM

He has clean-installed windows and tried Ubuntu to no avail.
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
November 13, 2011 7:06:12 PM

When you did the overclock did you mess with the voltage? Could bad voltage have caused a serious mobo or CPU problem?
Score
November 13, 2011 7:20:31 PM

I made sure the voltages were correct.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 7:33:13 PM

did this CPU ever work properly in this board ? Could it be a broken pin on the CPU , or a bad MB ? Do you have any spare CPU around to see if the board works with it ?
Score
a c 146 à CPUs
November 13, 2011 7:45:34 PM

Still what is your voltage for both the CPU and ram?
Score
November 13, 2011 9:55:23 PM

@jerry6 the CPU has worked with the board for quite a while. Clearing the CMOS caused this problem
Score
November 13, 2011 10:15:48 PM

Voltage on CPU - 1.152V
RAM - 1.5V
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 10:32:55 PM

I still think you should update the BIOS.Can't really hurt much we've tried everything else.If you do it properly theirs nothing to worry about.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 10:52:43 PM

purple stank said:
I still think you should update the BIOS.Can't really hurt much we've tried everything else.If you do it properly theirs nothing to worry about.

Agree , can't hurt , either bios is corrupt or board is toast . not much to lose . Does not seem to be software/os related so go for it .
Score
November 18, 2011 12:16:49 AM

Best answer selected by ilikepi.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2011 12:54:29 AM

So did you update the BIOS? Did it work?
Score
November 18, 2011 1:05:05 AM

I updated my BIOS and it started working. Idk why, but it worked.
Score
January 8, 2012 12:14:27 PM

davcon said:
Check your System config utility(msconfig)
Boot tab>advanced options
Number of processors should read 1 unchecked

Further to davcon's msconfig note: under advanced options, I ticked Detect HAL, after rebooting Vista initiated re-detection of the cpu, then asked for another reboot, thereafter CPU-Z, Core Temp etc detected #2 cores #2 threads.
Score
January 8, 2012 2:32:56 PM

This was a BIOS issue, not a windows issue.
Score
!