Need Suggestion For CDRW Replacement

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 2:18:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I own a Sony laptop (model# PCG-R505GC) which connects to a docking
station (model# PCGA-DSM51), installed in the docking station is a
Matsushita CDRW (model# UJDA730)

1. When burning a CD, approx midway through the burn, a clattering
sound begins, this noise gets louder and louder eventually the burn
process fails (using Nero 5.5) Is this drive defective?

2. If it is broken, can someone suggest a suitable DVD±RW replacement?
Are the bezels easily swappable?

Thanx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 5:34:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Do you know, if the bezels are easily swappable?
I'm interested in this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

But the front bezel is rectangular shaped where as the Mastushital one
has got a odd swish at the bottom of it's door
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2005 6:27:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Yes, it sounds like it's pretty dead.
NEC makes a well-liked laptop DVD burner.

<YankeesFan@tokeer.port5.com> wrote in message
Hello,

I own a Sony laptop (model# PCG-R505GC) which connects to a docking
station (model# PCGA-DSM51), installed in the docking station is a
Matsushita CDRW (model# UJDA730)

1. When burning a CD, approx midway through the burn, a clattering
sound begins, this noise gets louder and louder eventually the burn
process fails (using Nero 5.5) Is this drive defective?

2. If it is broken, can someone suggest a suitable DVD±RW replacement?
Are the bezels easily swappable?

Thanx
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 1:45:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

YankeesFan@tokeer.port5.com wrote:
> Do you know, if the bezels are easily swappable?
> I'm interested in this one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

The 6650 is a great optical drive.

> But the front bezel is rectangular shaped where as the Mastushital one
> has got a odd swish at the bottom of it's door.

Easily corrected with an eXacto knife or Dremel tool.

Regards,

James
!