2nd XP install

Hi!
I've got 2 HD's

1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
2- Has 2 (G, H)

1 is a SATA disk
2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1

I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G to D
because it is the other primary partition...

The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
primary partition in 1?
Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
Would G be renamed after the install?

.... can i have some advice?

Thanks,

Guille
3 answers Last reply
More about install

    Try search at microsoft,type:Create and test a mirrored system or
    boot volume The info is in server 2003 although xp uses the same
    techniques.

    "Guille" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I've got 2 HD's
    >
    > 1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
    > 2- Has 2 (G, H)
    >
    > 1 is a SATA disk
    > 2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1
    >
    > I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
    > When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
    > install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G to D
    > because it is the other primary partition...
    >
    > The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
    > primary partition in 1?
    > Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
    > Would G be renamed after the install?
    >
    > .... can i have some advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Guille

    Thanks,

    The computer came with 1 SATA disk 200Gb
    I added my old ATA 80 Gb to the "blue" bus, and during booting I ctrl+F it,
    and automatically added the IDE to the RAID.
    Everything worked perfect. No mirroring. Each HD with its own size and data,
    etc...
    Someboy strongly recommended me to undo that. So I installed the IDE as
    slave to my DVD.
    Now the IDE shows up as disk 1, not 2 anymore. Booting takes longer, also.
    Bios has IDE "undetected", because if I enable it, during booting i have
    "missing NTLDR, reboot".
    I don't know what to do.... everything was working fine in RAID but some
    people advised me to change that....

    Can i have more advice, please?

    Thanks,

    Guille

    "Andrew E" <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try search at microsoft,type:Create and test a mirrored system or
    > boot volume The info is in server 2003 although xp uses the same
    > techniques.
    >
    > "Guille" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I've got 2 HD's
    > >
    > > 1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
    > > 2- Has 2 (G, H)
    > >
    > > 1 is a SATA disk
    > > 2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1
    > >
    > > I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
    > > When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
    > > install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G
    to D
    > > because it is the other primary partition...
    > >
    > > The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
    > > primary partition in 1?
    > > Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
    > > Would G be renamed after the install?
    > >
    > > .... can i have some advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Guille

    See "NTLDR is missing" error message when you install or upgrade Windows XP
    over Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition @
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q314057

    Or here (which you may find better to resolve your problem):

    You might try formatting your old 80 to NTFS and re-install the operating
    system you want on there

    "Guille" <Here@nu.com> wrote in message
    Thanks,

    The computer came with 1 SATA disk 200Gb
    I added my old ATA 80 Gb to the "blue" bus, and during booting I ctrl+F it,
    and automatically added the IDE to the RAID.
    Everything worked perfect. No mirroring. Each HD with its own size and data,
    etc...
    Someboy strongly recommended me to undo that. So I installed the IDE as
    slave to my DVD.
    Now the IDE shows up as disk 1, not 2 anymore. Booting takes longer, also.
    Bios has IDE "undetected", because if I enable it, during booting i have
    "missing NTLDR, reboot".
    I don't know what to do.... everything was working fine in RAID but some
    people advised me to change that....

    Can i have more advice, please?

    Thanks,

    Guille

    "Andrew E" <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try search at microsoft,type:Create and test a mirrored system or
    > boot volume The info is in server 2003 although xp uses the same
    > techniques.
    >
    > "Guille" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I've got 2 HD's
    > >
    > > 1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
    > > 2- Has 2 (G, H)
    > >
    > > 1 is a SATA disk
    > > 2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1
    > >
    > > I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
    > > When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
    > > install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G
    to D
    > > because it is the other primary partition...
    > >
    > > The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
    > > primary partition in 1?
    > > Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
    > > Would G be renamed after the install?
    > >
    > > .... can i have some advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Guille