2nd XP install

July 3, 2004 6:38:57 AM

Hi!
I've got 2 HD's

1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
2- Has 2 (G, H)

1 is a SATA disk
2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1

I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G to D
because it is the other primary partition...

The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
primary partition in 1?
Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
Would G be renamed after the install?

.... can i have some advice?

Thanks,

Guille

More about : 2nd install

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 6:38:58 AM

Try search at microsoft,type:Create and test a mirrored system or
boot volume The info is in server 2003 although xp uses the same
techniques.

"Guille" wrote:

> Hi!
> I've got 2 HD's
>
> 1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
> 2- Has 2 (G, H)
>
> 1 is a SATA disk
> 2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1
>
> I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
> When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
> install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G to D
> because it is the other primary partition...
>
> The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
> primary partition in 1?
> Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
> Would G be renamed after the install?
>
> .... can i have some advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guille

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 10:08:53 PM

Thanks,

The computer came with 1 SATA disk 200Gb
I added my old ATA 80 Gb to the "blue" bus, and during booting I ctrl+F it,
and automatically added the IDE to the RAID.
Everything worked perfect. No mirroring. Each HD with its own size and data,
etc...
Someboy strongly recommended me to undo that. So I installed the IDE as
slave to my DVD.
Now the IDE shows up as disk 1, not 2 anymore. Booting takes longer, also.
Bios has IDE "undetected", because if I enable it, during booting i have
"missing NTLDR, reboot".
I don't know what to do.... everything was working fine in RAID but some
people advised me to change that....

Can i have more advice, please?

Thanks,

Guille

"Andrew E" <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try search at microsoft,type:Create and test a mirrored system or
> boot volume The info is in server 2003 although xp uses the same
> techniques.
>
> "Guille" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I've got 2 HD's
> >
> > 1- Has 4 partitions (C, D, E, F)
> > 2- Has 2 (G, H)
> >
> > 1 is a SATA disk
> > 2 is IDE, but in Strip array with 1
> >
> > I'd like to install a second XP for testing, ideally in G
> > When i boot with WinXP CD and after loading the RAID 378 drivers, the
> > install program sees the 2nd HD (G, H) as D, H (I immagine it renames G
to D
> > because it is the other primary partition...
> >
> > The question: is it convenient to install on G or rather create a new
> > primary partition in 1?
> > Second question: Since the install sees G as D, would that be a problem?
> > Would G be renamed after the install?
> >
> > .... can i have some advice?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guille

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:06:00 AM

See "NTLDR is missing" error message when you install or upgrade Windows XP
over Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition @
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q314057

Or here (which you may find better to resolve your problem):

You might try formatting your old 80 to NTFS and re-install the operating
system you want on there

!