indiangirls

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hi, i was wondering what the best RAM would be for my GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. Its dual channel, 4×240pin, and platform is DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066.
I was thinking about getting 8GB, but not sure if that would be necessary for moderate gaming and editing photos/movies. Whats the best brand/platform to use and is 8gb necessary? Thanks all!

G

Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3
I think we confirmed what we pretty much knew all along: Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.

Sandy Bridge Memory Performance Analysis and Conclusion
If you're the type of person that runs dozens of applications all at once, then a higher memory frequency does help, particularly when you're running demanding software. However, our testing shows that memory rated at over 1,866MHz doesn't give much extra performance. Worse still, in some applications only 1,333MHz memory gives a performance penalty, meaning that 1,600MHz memory is fine.

So now that we know DDR3 1600 is the speed to go for most any reputable manufacturer is fine, like corsair, g.skill, kingston. though i would suggest a RAM with XMS so it is easier to set in the BIOS.

InvalidError

Titan
Since memory is dirt-cheap these days, I would not recommend going any lower than 8GB.

While 4GB is good enough to run individual applications and games, it can quickly turn into a pagefile lagfest if you start multitasking or leaving stuff loaded in the background. The extra RAM gets used as disk cache so it also helps with reducing the amount of disk access when application/games reload stuff.

IMO, $20-25 to go from 4GB to 8GB is one of the best extras money can buy.