Looking for graphics card for Inspiron 530

Hi

I have been looking for a graphics update for an Inspiron 530 (the big one not the slim), from an inferior integrated chipset and would like to know a couple of things. First off I do not know much about computers when it comes to upgrading components. I have been looking at an xfx Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics card and would like to know if it is compatible with my current computer, and if so will I need any additional components such as a stronger PSU? I believe my current PSu is around 300 wts which I know is a bit underwhelming. If this card is not compatible then which ones can you recommend to me? I mainly play strategy games on my PC such as Civilization and other RTS games. Please do not overwhelm me with comments of my crappy computer, as I already know it is not a good computer. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 @2.60 GHz with 3 gigs of ram. Any additional info requested I will post. Thanks, and please help as I have been determined to play better games for a while now but have recieved no straight answers. Again thanks ahead of time.
10 answers Last reply
More about looking graphics card inspiron
  1. The 5770 requires a 6 pin. Your 300w would not have one of these since oem's put the cheapest psu you can buy. You could try a 5570 which does not need any extra power connectors ,but your 300w psu might not be able to handle it. Also what resolution are you running cause a 5570 is pretty much good for everything below 1600x900 not on maximum.
  2. mute20 said:
    The 5770 requires a 6 pin. Your 300w would not have one of these since oem's put the cheapest psu you can buy. You could try a 5570 which does not need any extra power connectors ,but your 300w psu might not be able to handle it. Also what resolution are you running cause a 5570 is pretty much good for everything below 1600x900 not on maximum.

    So where can I buy a better psu wth 6 pin for my cmputer? Will this be all I need to run the graphics card? if none of this works can you reccomend something completely different for my situation that will enable me to play games suh as civ 5 and total war without any problems? I am not realy looking for the latest and greatest. Thanks.
  3. If you get the better powersupply it should work straight out of the box with the connectors in it.
    This should be good enough
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
  4. mute20 said:
    If you get the better powersupply it should work straight out of the box with the connectors in it.
    This should be good enough
    PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

    Thank you for anwsering unlike anyone else! Now how can I determine if this power supply you reccomended fits into my existing case?and if it does will I only need the card and the power supply and be good to go? Thanks again!
  5. ghost154230 said:
    Thank you for anwsering unlike anyone else! Now how can I determine if this power supply you reccomended fits into my existing case?and if it does will I only need the card and the power supply and be good to go? Thanks again!


    I am pretty sure all psu's fit unless they are made for a specifically small case. I did have a problem with a corsair once when the sticker on the side of the psu made it slightly to large so I had to take it off.
  6. mute20 said:
    I am pretty sure all psu's fit unless they are made for a specifically small case. I did have a problem with a corsair once when the sticker on the side of the psu made it slightly to large so I had to take it off.

    Okay so the 5770 and the psu will be able to work on the computer even though it has somewhat inferior specs? Thanks. I just want to,be certain this will work before I order it
  7. Yes it should be fine lga 775 motherboard should support the videocard. Removing the power supply is very easy if you need help look on youtube it should be quite straight forward.
  8. mute20 said:
    Yes it should be fine lga 775 motherboard should support the videocard. Removing the power supply is very easy if you need help look on youtube it should be quite straight forward.

    thank you so much! You answered my every question. Now to try my luck at installing this thing. Again thank you gor your help;)
  9. ghost154230 said:
    thank you so much! You answered my every question. Now to try my luck at installing this thing. Again thank you gor your help;)



    To give you a little further reassurance. I'm also using an Inspiron 530, albeit a core i5 based one, although I believe it's the same exact case. Any normal ATX power supply will work fine so go right ahead and pick one up. I went with a 500w OCZ and a 5750 gpu and Civ 5 works just fine.
  10. max40watt said:
    To give you a little further reassurance. I'm also using an Inspiron 530, albeit a core i5 based one, although I believe it's the same exact case. Any normal ATX power supply will work fine so go right ahead and pick one up. I went with a 500w OCZ and a 5750 gpu and Civ 5 works just fine.

    Thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Inspiron Graphics Product