Sign in with
Your question

Dropping drives

Last response: in Networking
October 7, 2010 3:19:40 PM

Hello,
We have an NT domain that has shared drive for the users. We added a win2k3 server recently and users are being moved to the win2k3 'domain'. We mapped drives to the 'nt domain' and it works BUT the drives will drop during the day causing the user to have to restart. Msg. 'local device is already in use. and Connection has not been restored.

More about : dropping drives

October 11, 2010 5:48:38 PM

Do you have logon scripts for the users running on both domains? How are the user accounts setup? When they user's can't access the network drives is it after they log off and back on or just suddenly mid-work?

Did you check the server logs for any errors or the local PC logs?

You don't really want to be running 2 domains anyhow unless there are issues with email or something else, is there a plan in place to remove the old domain?
m
l
October 13, 2010 7:48:21 PM

dmorris57 said:
Hello,
We have an NT domain that has shared drive for the users. We added a win2k3 server recently and users are being moved to the win2k3 'domain'. We mapped drives to the 'nt domain' and it works BUT the drives will drop during the day causing the user to have to restart. Msg. 'local device is already in use. and Connection has not been restored.

Usually, not while they are using a folder/file on that drive. If it is idle for a while as a rule. I've ran the 'net config server' and turned off autodisconnect on the users and server. Do have login script also on user machine and on win2k3 - group policy. I'm afraid to go to much further in moving users to win2k3 until I resolve the issue I'm having. Like to finish it up quickly!!

m
l
!