Finished putting together the parts, what now?

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hello everyone.

I just got done putting together my computer and I've installed the Windows 7 on it.

The question is.. what do I do now?

Please help me, this is my first time ever building a computer from scratch. I would like step by step instructions if you don't mind. Thank you!!

Download & install updated drivers for your hardware. get them from the manufacturers website. you need the drivers for the motherboard, Graphics & maybe even your network interface card. You may have to use the install CD that came with your motherboard to get the network driver in order to connect to the internet. Without a list of what you have hardware wise, it's tough to be any more specific.

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Hahaha thank you for your reply. Believe it or not, I spent roughly about 30 mins trying to connect my computer to the internet. It didn't work of course. Searched all over the internet to find a solution for this and started to think if I had done something wrong.

Then I got a flash of memory of Linus doing motherboard reviews. How he always said throw away the drivers disc and install from the website. Well well well... I had forgotten all about that cd, which was sitting inside the motherboard box. Now I installed the drives and internet works ^^

What should I do now? Am I good to go? Do I need to mess with the BIOS at all? Sorry for newbie questions!!

take the disc that came with your motherboard and install drivers to your machine.......... ethernet ( so you can connect to the internet )...... motherboard drivers, etc. DO NOT go nuts and install the bloatware if you can help it............ after you get connected to the net you can go to Windows Update and install what is needed..... critical/software/hardware drivers, etc. Then you can go to manufacturers sites for drivers/firmware if need be.

don't forget to install the sound drivers too

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

I just clicked the recommended setting, which is install everything...

I can just delete them, right? The bloatwares I mean

Dogsnake

Distinguished
First make sure windows is fully updated with all crit. and recommended updates. Then update the video drivers from the cards site if you have not yet done it Go to device manager and check there are no devices with errors. If there are resolve them. Usually done by getting the newest drivers from the device company site. Check to see that all you usb ports work, printers print and any other thing you have attached to the system. Once your hardware is proofed out do a back up of the system (make an image if you can). Then start to install your software.

Sometimes it is easier to not install the bloatware than it is to delete it once installed. Don't foret to install an AntiVirus program. There are several free ones that work good, from Microsoft Security Essentials, to AVG, AVIRA, or AVAST, all of them have a free version.

if you made the cd-rom first boot device so you could load windows.......... turn it back to second/hard drive first.......... not using a floppy/disable it.... 2 places to do that, look for it. see if memory is set right and disable a screen or 2 to make the bios boot quicker and that's pretty much it as far as I remember right now.

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Can you explain how to do that with step by step instructions? I never tried BIOS before.. neither do I know how to turn on BIOS.. QQ

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I suggest you get your system running and error/conflict free; updated and in use for a while before you start altering the bios. Once your system is stable and working you can look to make bios adjustments or OC it. Also if you take the time to research and read about it, you will be better equipped than if someone just says do this or that. The instructions that came with your MB will tell you what key to press during start up to get into the bios. I use my delete key. It is not necessarily the same for all boards. You do not need to reorder the boot drive sequence. When the system starts it will look to boot from the CD and when it does not find a bootable disc it will go to the HD with the OS on it. In fact leaving the cd as first device lets you use your installation disc or other bootable disc in case you have to start the system in an emergency (ie. problem). You might want to give us a complete list of all components and the Windows version you are using. It will make specific replies easier.

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Oh, if knowing my build would help you help me.. sure why not ^^

i5 2500k
AsRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3
ATI Radeon 5870 (Not yet received)
G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 1600 Cas 9 2x4gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500gb
Corsair Enthusiasts Series 650w Plus Certified
Storm Scout case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit