Sign in with
Your question

Pin Compatibility

Last response: in Motherboards
August 14, 2012 12:08:36 AM

Ok, I am planning to get a Geforce GTX 670 which has two 6 pin connectors, along with Intels DZ77RE-75K Extreme Series motherboard which has "Two PCI Express* 3.0 x16 connectors (one x8 electrical)". So if I understood that statement I took from Intels site correctly, it has 2 PCI Express 3.0 with 16 pin connectors and one of them has 8 connectors that are "electrical" (I am not very good with connectors which is why I am asking you guys). So,,, if I understood all of this correctly, please tell me if the GTX 670 will be compatible with Intels DZ77RE-75K Extreme Series motherboard.

More about : pin compatibility

a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 12:58:44 AM

WOW That's some interpretation!

What it means is that the motherboard has pci-e X16 3.0 lanes. X16 being bandwidth and the 3.0 being revision. One video card connects into 1 pci-e X 16 slot and it has 2 of these pci-e slots. The X8 part means that if you use both pcie slots that it will only run at the X8 bandwidth or speed. The video card has 2 six pin power connectors that need to be plugged into from the power supply. The motherboard needs one 20+4 or 24 pin power connector and one 4+4 or one 8 pin power connector plugged into it from the power supply. Does that help clarify the connectors for you?

Oh, and yes, it is compatible
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:59:37 AM

The two six pin connectors come from the power supply. The PCI Express are for data. They carry some power but not enough for a GTX 670 so it gets more straight for the power supply.

The more important thing would be to check if the power supply has 30A on the 12v rails that feed the card.
m
l
Related resources
a c 431 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 4:17:59 AM

I think you are getting your power cable (pins) discription mixed up with your slot (contacts) discription.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:32:33 PM

suteck said:
WOW That's some interpretation!

What it means is that the motherboard has pci-e X16 3.0 lanes. X16 being bandwidth and the 3.0 being revision. One video card connects into 1 pci-e X 16 slot and it has 2 of these pci-e slots. The X8 part means that if you use both pcie slots that it will only run at the X8 bandwidth or speed. The video card has 2 six pin power connectors that need to be plugged into from the power supply. The motherboard needs one 20+4 or 24 pin power connector and one 4+4 or one 8 pin power connector plugged into it from the power supply. Does that help clarify the connectors for you?

Oh, and yes, it is compatible

So the GTX 670 will work with the motherboard right?
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 3:44:13 PM

Yes :D  You just need to have a PSU (Power Supply Unit) that will provide the 8 pin connections (most good ones today will).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 4:42:09 PM

Yes, that graphics card will work in that motherboard. As IntelEnthusias mentions, make sure you have a power supply with 2-6 pin pcie connectors. What Power Supply Unit are you getting/have? Make sure it is a good brand name with at least a > 80% efficiency. Don't get something like a rosewill or pc power. If you don't already have one and would like recommendations I would go with something like these -

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply for $80 here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or an Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply for $65 here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

or this OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply for $50 after MIR here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .

Listed in the order I would recommend them. My opinion of course!

m
l
!