Problem Installing OS -First Time Building

wretchedrabbit

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I just built my first computer and I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit). I burnt the ISO onto a DVD and when I put it in the new computer, it seemed to start up fine and said it was loading the files. It then took me to a screen which told me "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." I tried to find the files online and when I thought I did, I put them onto a flash drive. When I put the flash drive in, it allowed me to navigate through folders but still told me there were no drivers and wouldn't let me install anything. I tried this multiple times and eventually it stopped taking me to that screen even though I hadn't tried anything different. It just went to a black screen after it told me it was loading the data from the DVD to start the installation. After searching for people who had similar problems I tried re-burning the Windows 7 DVD at a slower speed (x4). That didn't change anything and I still ended up at a blank black screen with no cursor that didn't change even if I gave it a few minutes.

I also tried: Formatting a flash drive and putting windows 7 on it to install from that; using the CD drive from my old computer. Neither worked.

Here's what I'm using in my system. All of the parts are new.

CD/DVD drive
Motherboard
Processor
Hard Drive
RAM
Video Card
Power Supply

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do. I had a friend helping me build it since he has built a couple of computers before, but he told me he hasn't ever had a problem like this. What else should I try?

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Black Screen -
As of windows Vista-yes I was an early adopter, and the beta was great- Installing has been painful and quite a hassle for me. Be it a rather pathetic solution, banging randomly on the keyboard during blank and idol screens tends to expedite the loading. It relieves anger at least.

Can help with the rest-
The Elephant in the Room-Windows does not like your Optical Drive or its controller. "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." If you have a know good optical drive use it. If you have an old IDE DVD drive that is perfect (but incredibly slow).

With SATA came AHCI and some manufactures opted to stop supporting legacy operation modes and thus force AHCI usage. Windows and AHCI do not get along without help.

If you have the driver windows will not recognize it unless it sees the .inf file, you can try extracting the file, including .exe, with either extract now or 7-Zip, If you search-up AHCI Driver + windows you should find a few guides on how to get the necessary drivers for windows.

christop

Distinguished
Did you download win7 from a torrent? Why are you burning a ISO? Do you not have the install dvd. If you did I would recommend purchasing a OEM copy and start from there. I will bet if you used a true install dvd you would not have this problem.

wretchedrabbit

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Tried switching optical drives and still nothing. I ended up putting my hard drive into another computer and was able to install the OS that way. When I put it back in my new computer, it was still having the same problem- windows loading screen and then black screen. I'm kind of wondering at this point if it might be something wrong with the motherboard. Though when I tried to check the BIOS settings for the SATA ports, I couldn't find the option to see how it was configured. It just wasn't there.