Upgrading my PC


I'm thinking of upgrading my PC again. My last upgrade was in august, where I bought a new graphics card and a new PSU.

So my system specs are:

Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU E8500
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 400MHz CL4
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green
Video Card: MSI Nvidia GTX 560 Ti Hawk
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/ Ubuntu
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS4 rev 1.0
PSU: Rasurbo 650w (equal Cougar CMX550w)

I don't want to buy another mobo,rams and cpu yet so I did a little research and I found out, that either intel Q9650 or Q9550 would be my choice in terms of upgrading. My question is, is it worth to upgrade?

I use my pc rig mostly for gaming!

10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading
  1. No. They are too expensive; unless you find one for around $100. Check craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum; don't be shy; offer what you can afford.
  2. I checked the internet and I would get one for around 140-160€, thats 200-220$. I would never get one for 100$ because even my e8500 is selling for 100-120$. But nontheless it is far more cheaper than a new motherboard,CPU(2500k) and rams isn't it ? :D
  3. Yeah, but for gaming it's a dead end. If you sell off your old components, you can get a 2500K with low end p67 board for around $350. You should be able to sell your old stuff for around $125-150 or equivalent pounds. That leave you with a balance of $225. Ram is cheap. 4 gb of ddr3 should run you at the most 35 pounds; 8 gb is 55; I just priced it for someone else. Sell the old stuff first; don't assume you'll be able to sell it, but give it a try. Borrow a pc for a few days if necessary while you order new components.
  4. You can stretch the operation life of your system by overclocking it. You should be able to get up around 4 GHz.

    If you are interested, look at this:
    Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
    It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.
  5. Or Go The AMD Route (The Best :D) And Get A Capable Phenom II Quad Core And AM3+ Board And 8GB Of DDR3 For That Same $350.00 Reuse Everything Else = No Dead Ends And A Capable System For Even The Newest Games And Ones To Come, Overclock The Bejeezus Out Of It (See My Specs For Details; An Overclocked And Core Unlocked PhenomII X3 With A 1000MHz+ Stable OC On Air) And THAT My Friends Is Why AMD Is Better.
  6. I just recommended this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-I5-2500-3-3-Quad-Core-CPU-8GB-DDR3-Motherboard-Bundle-/120784573781?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1c1f525555 to another poster. It's a good deal, and comes with a biostar board, which is the brand I use.
  7. Well in my opinion, the best option is to upgrade to take every little benefit that it has to offer the 775 , so I don't need to buy a new socket and invest little money in the components which I otherwise wouldn't do. I think the best time to buy a new socket would be next year when the ivy bridge is coming so that the price of the older cpu will be cheaper or am I wrong ?

    I've got an offer for a Q9650 for "just" 170$. Isn't that a good deal ? :)
  8. You can wait, and wait, and wait all you want, and pay top dollar with each new Intel offering. Intel wants you all to get hooked on the latest tech for bragging rights or whatever you want to call it. Most folks can get by with just about any dual core system. So if funds are tight, you can continue to use your present setup until something breaks. It may take years, but keep saving. Just think if you saved $40 a month for 4 years, you'd have $1920 for your new system.
  9. if you don't want to upgrade your mobo/proc/ram don't spend any money.

    the thing with amd........... wouldn't touch it if I had your system. Yours lacks cores, that's about it. not worth the money now.
  10. swifty_morgan said:
    if you don't want to upgrade your mobo/proc/ram don't spend any money.

    the thing with amd........... wouldn't touch it if I had your system. Yours lacks cores, that's about it. not worth the money now.


    I'm in the same sitch as OP, just on the AMD side - just lacking extra cores needed for 2011 games. Could upgrade to a Phenom II X4, but might as well trade my last-gen mobo, CPU, and RAM for a new set next year when I upgrade my video card.
Ask a new question

Read More