Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard starting up and shutting down after 3 seconds

Last response: in Motherboards
August 14, 2012 5:07:43 AM

Hello,

I switched out the processor on my computer and I got a new motherboard to go along with it
I'm using the ASUS p8h61-M motherboard.

I got a brand new Intel 15 3570k processor with it, and the processor/heatsink fit in perfect and are fully supported with this motherboard.

However, after everything is set up and all the wires are in place, i go to turn the computer on and it starts and all the fans fire, but then shuts down about 3 seconds later.

I tried putting in my old working processor and same thing.

The Power supply I'm using is BRAND new. It's a 700 watt cool master.

I also tried using my old 460 watt coolmaster and it BARLEY made the fans spin. The processor heatsink didn't even fire using that one...and the computer turned off within 1 second. Could Coolmaster PSU's not be compatible with this board or something?

I tried taking out the ram/video card, etc etc.

Could a wrong connection cause the problem?

I don't think I connected anything wrong but I honestly have NO idea what else could be causing this....

Note: I'm using a dell inspiron 620 case. I'm also using the hard drive, the ram and the cd-drive that the 620 came with. Not sure if that would be causing the issue...

The motherboard fit perfect into the case, btw.
August 14, 2012 5:42:14 AM

I can't get my computer to turn on for more than 3 seconds... how do am I going to update the BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 7:31:15 AM

This is a catch 22 situation. You can either return the MB to Asus for flashing under warranty, return the MB to who you bought it from for exchange for a z77 chipset motherboard, which is what you should have gotten in the first place, or you can buy the cheapest Celeron CPU you can find that is compatible with your MB (cost about 40) and use it temporarily to flash your motherboard, then replace the Celeron with your good cpu. Of course, then you end up with a useless CPU on your hands that you have to either keep or sell.
m
l
August 14, 2012 11:56:06 AM

I don't understand what you mean =X (I'm new to computer building)

The MOB i purchased said it supported the CPU i put into it...

and why should I have gotten a z77 chipset?
m
l
a c 125 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 12:22:47 PM

Never mind the z77 chipset remoark.

One thing you can try is to reset the CMOS on the motherboard and see if that get's you into the boot screen.
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:30:11 PM

Note: My power button on the front of my case doesn't work at all.

The computer will only attempt to start when i turn the PSU switch off, wait till the green light on my MOB shuts off, then turn the PSU back on.

Also, could resetting the CMOS or pulling the battery on my MOB help? I'm at work right now so I'll have to wait till I get home to try that, but thats pretty much the only thing I haven't tried.
m
l
a c 125 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 12:39:57 PM

Also, could resetting the CMOS or pulling the battery on my MOB help?

Yes, try that. If that doesn't work, then you need the BIOS update I talked about earlier.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 1:16:13 PM

What do you mean the power button does not work on the front of the case? How do you start the computer with out it? Do you jumper the black and green wire on the motherboard power connector each time you want to start it up or did you use the reset switch to replace the power on switch?
m
l
August 14, 2012 1:40:39 PM

knightdog56 said:
What do you mean the power button does not work on the front of the case? How do you start the computer with out it? Do you jumper the black and green wire on the motherboard power connector each time you want to start it up or did you use the reset switch to replace the power on switch?

In order to get the Computer started, I have to switch the PCU switch from off, to on. Once the switch is on, the computer starts then turns off about 6 seconds later. The process does not repeat. I have to switch the PCU off, wait till the green light on the MOB turns off, switch the PSU on again and repeat.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:06:04 AM

i was gonna say once i built my comp i was havin the same issue and was pissin me the hell off so wat i did is held the power button down upon boot up and walla computer started and downloaded my os and golden ever since

ur best bet is to try a new case i got a cool master for like 40 bucks not really exspensive so u dont have to shut the power switch off and on cuz that could short ur mobo and more so not a good way to turn ur comp on and off
m
l
!