Sign in with
Your question

Installing and testing a Psu?

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2011 2:52:24 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post here and i have a question or a couple of questions that i hope ye can help me with in regards to installing and testing my Psu .

Im currently in the middle of my first build and i am 'bread boarding' up components.

My question is:

Should my motherboard turn on even if no cpu is installed? My power indicator stays red but when i push it, it dosnt turn green also my TPU and epu lights are on.

Should the inbuilt leds and fan on my psu come on even though my motherboard isnt on?

Also do i just connect the fans on my case to the 4-pin connectors coming out of my PSU?

Specs:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V B
PSU-Corsair GS600
RAM- Corsair Vengance
Disk Drive-Asus DRW-24B3LT

Please and Thanks

More about : installing testing psu

a b ) Power supply
a c 233 V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 3:04:37 PM

To power up, a CPU is required. You can the case fans directly to the 4-pin connectors from the PSU.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 4:21:43 PM

To get it to turn on you will probably need to have the PSU stuck into both places on the motherboard and the CPU and RAM both in.

With those things, the fans should turn on and stay on for the processor heat sink.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 233 V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 4:31:40 PM

RAM is not required to power up the system, but the motherboard should beep to indicate that it's missing.
November 13, 2011 5:55:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

But will the fan on my psu and leds built into the fan come on even if my motherboard isnt turned on?
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 6:05:10 PM

Fans may turn on and turn off extremely quickly as soon as you plug the power cord in. There will be a tiny light in the computer that will be on as long as it is plugged in too.
a b ) Power supply
a c 233 V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 6:26:12 PM

michaeldunne109 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

But will the fan on my psu and leds built into the fan come on even if my motherboard isnt turned on?

Why don't you install a CPU to make sure that all components work properly?
November 13, 2011 6:31:36 PM

GhislainG said:
Why don't you install a CPU to make sure that all components work properly?

Havent got the CPU yet.
a b ) Power supply
a c 233 V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 6:35:43 PM

michaeldunne109 said:
Havent got the CPU yet.

You'll have to get it to complete your tests.
!