Computer not starting up properly.

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hey guys wonder if you'd be able to help me. So i'm building a pc and its my first time and i've run into multiple problems which i've been trying to sort out. First it was the motherboard which wouldn't post so after a bit of playing around to see if it was anything else i sent it back. Turned out it was faulty, sending me out a new one. Decided to get a new one anyway because it looked better had better specs etc so i will just return the other mobo when it gets delivered tomorrow. Anyhoo got the other mobo plugged it in and it won't start up properly it'll turn on for a second and then turn back off and then turn back on again, it keeps doing this until i have to turn it off at the mains. I tried it without everything including CPU and its still doing it. Could this be a PSU problem? I'm really hoping its not another god damn mobo. When the PSU was used with the faulty mobo it powered up fine. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Okee dokey,

1 x Palit GeForce GTX 460 OC Sonic 1GB GDDR5 VGA, HMDI Graphics Card

1 x Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

1 x Samsung SH-D163C 16x DVD-ROM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

1 x Belkin SurgeMaster 4 Socket Surge Protector 1 Metre Cable

1 x Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

1 x G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

1 x Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced All White Case *Special Edition*

1 x Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express

1 x MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Like i said earlier i tried it without anything connected apart from the power to the board to see what it would do.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hmmm...that power supply is suspect. I've never heard of it. Typically, we consider Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, some PC P&C, and the OCZ "ZX" line as quality units. Your memory is compatible, however sometimes a bad module makes it past their QA.

Try this. Install the CPU, cooler, and GPU (hook up a monitor to the output). Install one stick of the memory into the first slot. Make sure the RAM stick is firmly seated. Make sure all of the PSU connectors are secured. Power on, check for POST and if it gets into the BIOS (EFI). If that doesn't work, try the memory in the second slot, and so on. If still no POST, try the other stick in each slot.

Can you get your hands on another GPU? Perhaps one that doesn't require power from the PSU... if you can...try that.

Also, try plugging the PSU into a different wall socket. I've heard of that causing problems. Don't try all of this at once as you won't be able to isolate the problem...

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Unfortunatly i can't get my hands on another GPU but at the moment its not so much that it won't post, its that it won't power up enough. The fans whir around for a second then stop then restart. On the LED's it says its at EFI stage 1 or whatever so it can't even fully power up.

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I realize i said "power up" about 10 times sorry about that. I did try what you said just in case. Didn't work :(

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Ok so update, i found out that i at least needed a 4pin connector for the 8-pin power connector on the mobo, now all the LEDs light up and it stays on for a little longer but it still powers down and then up again.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Did you install the motherboard standoffs on the motherboard tray? Is everything plugged into where it should be? Is the CPU, RAM, GPU seated correctly?

Here are some guides....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building <--How to build guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems <--Troubleshooting guide

They are very good resources. Try everything here that you can with the board you have now and with the one that's coming tomorrow. I'd have to guess power supply, but you might as well try what's in the guides. If still nothing, RMA the power supply and get a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX. 750 watts will be plenty, even if you plan to add another GTX 460 down the line.

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Everything is seated properly but i currently have the mobo on its cardboard box just in case, still have the same problem. Also found out that the 24 pin connector does fit so i put that in, adjusted it somewhat to get the 8pin adapter for the CPU power but it seems to stay on even less than it did when i had 4 pins in. Weird.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Ok, so I definitely think you need to read the how-to guide. Don't take any shortcuts. You are breadboarding, and that is ok. The 24-pin connector supplies the motherboard and components that don't use auxillary power connections with power. This would include the memory, chipset, fan headers, front panel headers, rear I/O shield connections, ect. The 4/8 pin power connector supplies the CPU with power. Use the 8-pin plug. That vid card requires two (2) 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. They will be located towards the end of the card opposite the DVI-out ports on the edge that faces you after the card is installed on the motherboard. Both must be plugged in directly from the PSU. You do not need to have an HDD or optical drive installed for the board to POST.

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Hmmm....don't bother. Get a new power supply. I found some specs on it, and no offense, but it's junk. The PCI-E power is from a molex adapter. The 8-pin ATX12V is from a molex adapter. Not good. The Antec High Current Gamer 750w PSU is a good bet for a quality, inexpensive unit.

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

None taken, thanks for having a look. Is it likely to be the PSU? I don't want to have to shell out for another power adapter for no reason.

plates

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
SUCCESS! I got a new power adapter, the 620w and am now currently formatting my HDD. I do keep getting 3 beeps 1 long and 2 short but i can see the screen fine so i'm hoping that'll stop once i install windows and such. Thanks for helping me out through this i feel sooo much better now that it works.

For anyone else who has the same problem i hope you can get it fixed ASAP.

TRENDING THREADS