How much will case fans reduce my CPU/GPU Temps.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Currently I have a 2500k @4.5 and MSI 560ti ocd 925/1850/2070

Case is CM 2 690 2 advanced

CPU Cooler AKSA Venom Voodoo dual fan with arctic 5 silver

Temps idle: CPU:32 GPU: 32

Temps Prime small fft: CPU: av 68

Temps IBT: CPU High 70s/ touched 82 in one core after an hour of Max Ram

Gaming [BF3/ARMA 2] CPU: 55 - 63 GPU: 62 - 65 [72 max in Arma 2]

Currently my system is similar to tom's guide below, with an extra pull fan on the heatsink and the GPU pulling air in from below the psu and blowing out the back of the case.

psu-bottom-04-EN.png

When i take the side of the case off the temps reduce by 5 or 6 degrees.

Would 2 extra case fans blowing air up from the bottom[between the PSU and HDD racks], another 120mm fan pulling air at the top of the case and another 120mm fan [pushing or pulling- not sure which] from behind the heatsink clamp on the back of the motherboard at the otehr side of the case, help bring temps down a few degrees?

Or would the difference be negligible?

Thanks

Since cooling is better with the side off, you have verified that cooling can be improved.

1) Do not count on the psu for cooling anything but itself.

2) The weakness I see is insufficient cool air intake. If you can add an intake fan on the bottom or front, good. If you can't, then you will have to increase the cfm of the single front intake fan. That meand higher rpm fan, or perhaps a 38mm depth fan.

3) The cpu cooler can do no better unless it gets a better supply of cool air. A second push/pull fan would give you only marginal better results.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks geofelt good info.

So:

* 2 120mm intake fans at the bottom

* another 140mm intake fan at front

* another 120mm fan at top of case [should this be push or pull?]

Normally two 120mm intakes or equivalent is sufficient. I see no real need to go overboard.

The best case airflow is cool air in from the front and bottom, and exiting the rear and top.
That is in sync with natural airflow with heat rising.

You always have the trade off of better cooling vs. noisy fans.
My take is to not worry too much about heat, so long as it is below the limit for the components.