Home Built PC Doing Nothing!

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi All,

I've just put myself together a new PC pushed the power button and nothing works, no lights, no beeps,no fans running. I've ensured the 24pin cable is connected from my PSU to mobo and the 8pin cable from my PSU to mobo. Also checked the pin headers for my power button, reset and led's are connected correclty (noting polarity) according to the manufacturers guide. It might be worth noting i e-mailed a custom build company my parts list and they said the components would be compatable with each other, but here's my system anyway:

Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
Antec 620W High Current Gamer
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA
MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti (GX-130-MS)
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±RW
Asrock Z68 PRO3 Intel Z68
Windows 7 Home-64Bit

This is my first build, so i won't be offended if you talk basics ;). I'm thinking i may have a faulty PSU, but welcome all comments & suggestions. All components are new.

Kind Regards

Josh

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply! Just to clarify this power button 'on' switch, my motherboard user guide can be found here:

http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68%20Pro3.pdf

Page 28.

If we number the top pins as 1-5 (left to right) and the bottom pins 6-10 (l-r), could you confirm the settings:

Pin1: PLED+
Pin2: PLED-
Pin3: PWRBTN+
Pin4: RESET-
Pin5: No Pin
Pin6: HDLED+
Pin7: HDLED-
Pin8: PWRBTN-
Pin9: RESET+
Pin10: Dummy

(Where - is used for GND)

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi All,

Just to report got my computer finnally up and running last night, pulled everything out and set it up on an insulated surface, found that one of the motherboard spacers was missing. Put it in and it seemed to work just fine. That guide was a great help cheers! I've noticed the CPU is running a little hot i think (60oC). Think i might whip the cooler off and apply some thermal paste, or buy a better cooling fan. ANy suggestions?

Thanks

Josh

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
If you put the stock fan on, there was thermal grease applied to the copper surface already. I would check to make sure that the fan is mounted firmly first. It might be that all your push-pins didn't click into place.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
hmm the 2500K cooler is pretty good, (well mine is anyway :p) are those temps in the BIOS? try using hwmonitor idle temps and then temps after running prime95 for about 15 minutes.

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello,

The temperature reported in the BIOS is 65-70oC (CPU), on startup. For some reason on my motherboard utility programme, in the BIOS and on the desktop shortcut i can't tweak my CPU target temperature below 45oC, so my CPU is constantly getting to 45oC before the fans have to work hard. This is causing the computer to sound awfuly loud! My CPU fan is noiser than my chassis fans combined, reporting a speed of 1900RPM. I've checked my CPU cooler is clipped into place, which it is, all 4 push 'tabs' have the black piece poking through the plastic (bad description i know)!

Cheers

Josh

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

have you turned the pushtabs after pushing them in?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

what are your case temps?
can we have some screenshots of HWmonitor IDLE temps/Load temps (running prime95) .

You might want to re-read the instructions on installing the stock CPU cooler. I also have a warning in bold text in step 14 of the checklist. You do NOT turn the push-pins after installing the cooler. The pins are supposed to be turned the OPPOSITE direction as the arrows before installation. Then you simply push them in until they click. Your cooler is most definitely not installed correctly with those very high idle temps.

Page 18 in your motherboard owners manual has very clear instructions on how to install the cooler correctly.

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks for all of your replies, here some screens of me idling and 'torture testing' using prime 95, hope there what you asked for:

Computer Idling:
Idle.png

After Test One
testoneend.png

After Test Two
test2end.png

After Test Three
test3end.png

After Test Four
test4end.png

After Test Five
test5end.png

Cooling Down After All Tests
endoftests.png

Thanks

Josh

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
those temps are 100% fine, around 30-37C (differs according to tempretures/seasons) is completely normal for idle temps, and anything below about 75 under load is completely normal. Doesnt look like your having any noise problems (low RPM fans) but are you?

josh_19

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Ah right, thanks for that information then bud. I'll leave things running as they are for now then :relief:

Cheers