Sign in with
Your question

I want to upgrade my processor

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2011 5:52:49 PM

I want to upgrade my processor to something that will let me play BF3 at a decent setting.

I have a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard.

What are my choices for a processor upgrade?

I dont want to spend alot of money, was hoping to get something between $100-$140.

Thanx for all the help.

-DMFDxGamer

More about : upgrade processor

November 13, 2011 5:54:17 PM

also, currantly using AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit
GeForce GT 430
4GB RAM
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 6:38:09 PM

Your best bet is to do a complete over haul, since the system you're using is getting pretty old. I would recommend you get around ~$350-$400 and buy a new MoBo, CPU, RAM, and maybe a new graphics card.
Related resources
November 13, 2011 6:59:03 PM

Everything listed was purchased a week ago, to me this is an overhaul. Im at the point where i need to update my processor. Ill eventually update my graphics card again, but right now i want to update my CPU with my current MoBo.
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 7:14:05 PM

That's not good...aince the AM2 CPUs are very outdated...The best bet is to go with an Athlon 64 x2...and I'm assuming it'll only last 1 or 1.5 more years before the games get too advanced and don't expect to play BF anywhere near ultra settings.
November 13, 2011 7:32:45 PM

Thanx for the quick replies, however most of this is greek to me.

I was told i have an AM2+ which means my MoBo can support AM3 with a BIOS update.
Also that phenom 2 processors can be used as well.

Would you know anything about this?
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 7:40:54 PM

DMFDxGamer said:
Thanx for the quick replies, however most of this is greek to me.

I was told i have an AM2+ which means my MoBo can support AM3 with a BIOS update.
Also that phenom 2 processors can be used as well.

Would you know anything about this?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI_Deluxe/
Seems like it only supports AM2+ CPUs...in that case, the best CPU bet would be the AMD Phenom II X4 940...but even then, it's not going to be as good as most modern day CPUs...If you wish to get the 940, I can still vouch that you won't be playing BF3 with ultra turned on. If you really want the best performance, just buy another MoBo and CPU that supports the AM3+ CPU, cause your new MoBo doesn't support AM3.

Phenom II x4 940:
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/HDZ940XCJ4DGIBP-AMD-21397...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2011 7:46:47 PM

Yes, I checked the supported cpu list and it appears it would work, i personally have an athlon 2 x3, and its been running fine in new games, my gpu is mainly my bottleneck (5670)

The GT430 isn't a fast card by any means however a cpu upgrade would be the best improvement, basically just go here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI/#CPUS

and pickout what you think would be in your price range, its hard to go wrong with a cpu, basically anything quad core will do fine, though a phenom 2 is faster then an athlon 2, its not noticeable.

Games are getting more and more dependent on GPU then cpu architecture.

... I always thought BF3 was able to use 6 cores?! whats up with this benchmark? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
November 13, 2011 9:56:41 PM

That website just reads strangely. They released a beta bios that said there was SOME support, then released a newer update that doesn't say what it supports, and on top of that there hasn't been anything new for a year.

I would say that if you have your heart set on a decent AM3 then go for it. At worst, it might not work and then you KNOW that you need a new mobo. However if you're on a budget, maybe see if you can find something cheap and used off of e-bay to test it. That way you'll still have money to buy a new mobo later, and you'll know to buy the latest and greatest so you won't have to worry about it for awhile.
!