specifying a search drive

I use the search function a lot. And my question is
how I do Specify a default search folder? When I click
on start\search the default search (look in) location
is 'all local drives'. My question is how do I change it
so that the startup or default look in location is one
particular drive, so I don't have to use the drop down
box to sleect it everytime I start search?

kelly

Right click the Folder/Drive in question, then select Search.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Parag" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use the search function a lot. And my question is
> how I do Specify a default search folder? When I click
> on start\search the default search (look in) location
> is 'all local drives'. My question is how do I change it
> so that the startup or default look in location is one
> particular drive, so I don't have to use the drop down
> box to sleect it everytime I start search?

| "Parag" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote in message news:24bf701c46040$85e09d40$a601280a@phx.gbl
| Does anyone know how I can configure it so that whenever
| I can chnage the default folder in the search tool?
| Presently the 'Look in' value is the entire computer (all
| local drives). I would like to change this value to
| point to only one particular drive.
| Any ideas? Thanks

AFAIK, there is no way around the Search Companion listing
all your partitions in the "Look in" box. However, an easy
workaround is to preface your query with the driver letter
that you want to search.

For example, if you want to search your E:\ drive for all of
your *.doc files do the following:

Open the Search Companion, in the box labeled "All or part
of the file name:" enter the following query:

E:\*.doc

Another example... If you want to search your E:\ drive for all
files that contain the word security open the Search Companion,
in the box labeled "All or part of the file name:" enter the
following query:

E:\

and in the box named "A word or phrase in the file:" enter:

security

Right click the object you want to search and choose Search. Open the folder and click search on the toolbar. Save a search on the file menu.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Parag" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2542901c46117$8d708480$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I use the search function a lot. And my question is
> how I do Specify a default search folder? When I click
> on start\search the default search (look in) location
> is 'all local drives'. My question is how do I change it
> so that the startup or default look in location is one
> particular drive, so I don't have to use the drop down
> box to sleect it everytime I start search?

kelly

Right click the folder or drive in question and select Search.

--

"Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
>| "Parag" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | wrote in message news:24bf701c46040$85e09d40$a601280a@phx.gbl
> | Does anyone know how I can configure it so that whenever
> | I can chnage the default folder in the search tool?
> | Presently the 'Look in' value is the entire computer (all
> | local drives). I would like to change this value to
> | point to only one particular drive.
> | Any ideas? Thanks
>
> AFAIK, there is no way around the Search Companion listing
> all your partitions in the "Look in" box. However, an easy
> workaround is to preface your query with the driver letter
> that you want to search.
>
> For example, if you want to search your E:\ drive for all of
> your *.doc files do the following:
>
> Open the Search Companion, in the box labeled "All or part
> of the file name:" enter the following query:
>
> E:\*.doc
>
> Another example... If you want to search your E:\ drive for all
> files that contain the word security open the Search Companion,
> in the box labeled "All or part of the file name:" enter the
> following query:
>
> E:\
>
> and in the box named "A word or phrase in the file:" enter:
>
> security

And why not just type e:\ in the look in box.

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OCHqAxmYEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Right click the folder or drive in question and select Search.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
> >| "Parag" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > | wrote in message news:24bf701c46040$85e09d40$a601280a@phx.gbl
> > | Does anyone know how I can configure it so that whenever
> > | I can chnage the default folder in the search tool?
> > | Presently the 'Look in' value is the entire computer (all
> > | local drives). I would like to change this value to
> > | point to only one particular drive.
> > | Any ideas? Thanks
> >
> > AFAIK, there is no way around the Search Companion listing
> > all your partitions in the "Look in" box. However, an easy
> > workaround is to preface your query with the driver letter
> > that you want to search.
> >
> > For example, if you want to search your E:\ drive for all of
> > your *.doc files do the following:
> >
> > Open the Search Companion, in the box labeled "All or part
> > of the file name:" enter the following query:
> >
> > E:\*.doc
> >
> > Another example... If you want to search your E:\ drive for all
> > files that contain the word security open the Search Companion,
> > in the box labeled "All or part of the file name:" enter the
> > following query:
> >
> > E:\
> >
> > and in the box named "A word or phrase in the file:" enter:
> >
> > security

TRENDING THREADS