Sign in with
Your question

Problem with mobo's and processor's watts

Last response: in CPUs
November 13, 2011 6:15:26 PM

Hello everyone.
I have bought new components for my PC. My new mobo is an Asus M5A78L-M LX and my new processor an AMD Phenom II X4 965BE.

Once I built it, I turned it on, and I got a message from my mobo saying "This CPU is not supported by this model".
When I checked, I sadly found that the mobo goes up to 95W for the processor, and mine is 125W.
After 15 secs, the PC shutsdown.

However, I know a lot of people (from internet), that have the same configuration, but no problem with it. For some of them the message saying "This CPU is not supported by this model." appears, but then they can go on and load windows perfectly.

Someone knows if there's a way to use the processor with this mobo? I updated BIOS succesfuly, but now that I checked again, there's a newer version. However the new supported goes to Phenom II x4 960, that is still 95w.

Thanks to all of you.
November 13, 2011 6:36:59 PM

They made the motherboard to only support the specified wattage, there is a reason why it won't work, probably because the MoBo isn't giving enough juice to the CPU to run it. You should have looked at these things before you bought it.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2011 6:44:34 PM

you can try to get it to work, go into the bios and start lowering the cpu voltage, try 2 setting steps at a time. The cpu should be able to boot undervolted, just a matter of how much its capable of. whats shutting down is the motherboard when it detects too much draw on the vrm.
Related resources
November 13, 2011 6:48:21 PM

Yes, but i forgot to tell, it won't let me get into BIOS, just to the EZ Flash feature...
I feel really stupid... can't believe this :( 
November 13, 2011 10:58:56 PM

So I re-built it and now it goes okay, althought I keep getting the message, i was able to install windows and use it perfectly.
Thanks for the answers :) 
!