AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition For Gaming?

argueta789

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I am ready to buy components to build my pc , but first i have a question , would this cpu benefit my gaming performance. or is their cpu better for gaming within the same price range? Mostly using pc for gaming and surfing the web.
thanks also any recommendations in motherboards? 320$ just for motherboard and cpu i have left over

G

depends on his budget though, core i5 is much higher price class than the AMD cpu's, by $100 for X4 and $70 for the X6. if the prcie were the same , yes the i5 would be the better cpu by far. My next build will have an Intel Motherboard if the Ivy bridge reviews are good for the first few months - i will let others experiment first :D

argueta789

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
So how much better would the gaming experience be ?, and also is x6 worse for gaming or its just that games wont use extra cores? because i still want a fast multitasking experience

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
You could even go for a 960t, since I hear they have about a 50/50 chance of unlocking to a x6. And even if it doesnt, you will still have a good 4 core processor (as good as the 955) for gaming. Just my opinion :) and yes, if you can afford it, the i5-2500k or even i5-2400 are superior to the phenoms

Uther39

Distinguished
One thing to be aware of is thats as new games become more multi threaded then the 1090t will come into its own as a gaming CPU as we are seeing already with titles such as BF3, in new titles such as these the 1090t even out performs the mighty i5 2500k.

So personaly i would buy the 1090t and a decent after markey cooler and OC it to 3.8 - 4.0 ghz.

rockxdude

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

HI...
What is your budget for mb..? 320$ only for motherboard??

And about this processor, its awesome processor...;)...i currently own the same and it is good for gaming as it is 3.2ghz...meanwhile has less cache memory but it don't affect anything for game or surfing net.
As it is BE edition its temp remain less on high loads...
Just make sure you have good PSU to overclock it to 3.8 or 4.0ghz...:p...

One thing more, it is also a future gen. processor as x4 is quite old technology now...so go for 6 or 8 cores...:)

rockxdude

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

+1 ;)

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Have to agree , I don't game , but my son does and he is getting great frame rates with the 1090t on games like BF3 , graphics are great , no stuttering everything runs well . Only games I have tried are the need for speed shift and the new NFS and they play very well , An unreal experience on a 42" screen , mind blowing comes to mind .
And the x6 makes quick work encoding converting video , running CAD , the x4 mantra is just as good just doesn't cut it 159.00 for the 1090t , can't be beat .

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
All this nonsense about the 1090T and BF3. How is it out performing the 2500K?

CPU_03.png

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Once your CPU is able to supply the GPU with enough bandwidth, the GPU becomes the performance bottleneck, not the CPU. If you look at the bottom of the chart, you will see that the dual core FX and Athlon II processors have much lower performance minimums. My guess is that BF3 is optimized for quad core procesing, and the Core i3, even though it is only a dual core, is able to perform because of hyperthreading.

The point where the Thuban starts to outperform the 2500K would be when your system needs more than 4 processes running simultaneously and still be able to supply you graphics card with enough bandwidth. Say, for instance, if you were to encode a couple of videos and play BF3 at the same time. Quite possible in the real world, I would say. In this case, the 2600K would be the optimal solution, since it has 4 core and supports 4 more logical cores through hyperthreading. The Thuban could be a contender, though, since it has 6 true cores.

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
x4 955 is allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll you need i ran benchmarks with my gtx 570 and found that going from 3.00ghz[ under stock clock] to 4.2ghz i gained very little 3.6ghz seems to get rid of any bottleneck. I am not a fan boy of intel or amd i have had a 2500k and an i7 920 and got rid of them both as the systems cost too dam much for 0 performance gain in games and games alone.
farcry 2 1900x1200 8xaa all maxed

x4 955 gtx 570 3.00ghz 4.2ghz

Average Framerate: 72.87 Average Framerate: 78.77
Max. Framerate: 107.12
Min. Framerate: 53.52 Max. Framerate: 121.55
Min. Framerate: 60.75

Hmmmm, GTX 580 about 500 BUCKs, Performance diff for BF 3 Beta 8% in favor of the AMD proc vs the I5-2500k. Cost difference between AMD and a I5-2500k when you look at the whole picture, CPY + MB, Plus a 580 is 6 % lower for an AMD build.

If I was building a new system and the ONLY thing I did was Play BF3 on it, maybe the 50/60 bucks saved might be worth it. But if I'm spending that much, I would shoot for the overall better system - The I5-2500k with a Z68 MB. The CPU is ONLY one part of the equation, the other being the MB and the GPU. As long as the CPU is not holding the GPU back, then either is acceptable. From a MB stand the Intel chipset is better. Unfortunately with AMDs cut back they are having a hard time keeping up with Intel and their vastly larger Workforce and R&D budget to match Intel's driver performance (ie SSD performance).

Then there is the upgrad path, With Intel's IB - TOO EXPENSIVE currently. For AMD there is BD, but I would not call that much of a upgrade.

When looking at the overall picture in terms of 3rd party developement, when designing new hardware/software: If there is a diff in performance between AMD and Intel, quess who is going to win (In General) - the 20 % (AMD) market, or the 70% (Intel) market.

Would agree that the $60 could go toward a better GPU which would affect game play more than the CPU. But as a around system and looking to upgrade (outside of just the GPU), in my opinion the Intel build would be better.

Then I'm reminded that opinion is like individuals - everyone has a (insert Body part). So I respect your opinion even though it differs from mine.