Corsiar 8gb 1866mhz Ram Question??

Tags:
  • Corsair
  • RAM
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
August 14, 2012 2:46:34 PM

Hi guys,

I recently brought some new Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866mhz ram. I have put the ram in the system and in my Bios it is set to 1033mhz as standard,
so I chose the XMP profile 1 which then adjusted all my settings to 1866mhz and the latencys to the correct 9-10-9-27 but I left the voltage at 1.5 as it states on the product 1.5v (please correct me if I am wrong not to touch the voltage) but when I boot up my system I get the blue screen of death and it reboots. I am now assuming my proccessor is not man enough for the 1866mhz (Ihave a intel i7 950 3.06ghz (stock settings)

So what I have now done is gone back to the bios and simply dropped the mhz to 1600 rather than the 1866 but on the sme XMP profile and same latency settings, my pc now boots up and works fine but I am wondering if what I have done is correct in just dropping from the 1866hmz to 1600mhz without touching anything else, am I supposed to change the latencys or voltages or anything else for that matter or is what I have done ok to just have the ram at 1600hmz?

Sorry for the noob question I am just getting into this bios stuff and most probably will look into overclocking my CPU at some point.

Here are my full specs if needed -

Intel i7 950 stock at 3.06ghz
Gigabyte GA-X58 USB3 Motherboard
Hyper 212 evo cooler
GTX 670 FTW edition GPU
8 gb Corsair vengeance ram
600 watt PSU

Any replies would be greatly appriciated :) 

More about : corsiar 8gb 1866mhz ram question

a b } Memory
August 14, 2012 3:41:59 PM

Normally BSOD's are due to memory issues. You should be able to bump up the memory voltage at 1866 to a bit above the 1.5. Just get something like memtest86 and try out the XMP1 with a bit higher memory voltages. You can also check the timings that Corsair recommends for your memory and set that in bios instead of doing XMP.
August 14, 2012 4:39:39 PM

ahnilated said:
Normally BSOD's are due to memory issues. You should be able to bump up the memory voltage at 1866 to a bit above the 1.5. Just get something like memtest86 and try out the XMP1 with a bit higher memory voltages. You can also check the timings that Corsair recommends for your memory and set that in bios instead of doing XMP.

Hi, Thanks for your response, the XMP settings seem to be spot on to that of the settings recommended by Corsair, but do you think I should try
upping the Voltage maybe to 1.6 rather than 1.5 and try it again at 1866mhz?

Just to clarify is the way I have done it in my original post ok for just keeping it at 1600mhz?

a b } Memory
August 14, 2012 6:19:31 PM

spiitfiire88 said:
Hi, Thanks for your response, the XMP settings seem to be spot on to that of the settings recommended by Corsair, but do you think I should try
upping the Voltage maybe to 1.6 rather than 1.5 and try it again at 1866mhz?

Just to clarify is the way I have done it in my original post ok for just keeping it at 1600mhz?

1) I would first try bumping the voltage to 1.55 and then do some testing. Small voltage steps is the key.
2) Yes, that is fine, it might not be the most tweaked memory settings but shouldn't cause any damage to test with.
!