Bought a 460gtx 3 days ago

Heaton89

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hey everyone im awful with computers for the mos part in terms of cpu's and gpus so just looking for advice please. I just bought a gigabyte 460gtx SOC edition to replace my 9800gt. Placed it in did a driversweep restarted then did the same within safe mode,plonked the latest drivers for said card on my pc and expected a fps fest in world of warcraft/battlefield bc2 ..... in wow im around the 30 mark in cities and 60 in areas with vsync off and in bf bc2 it feels around the 30 to 40 mark. MY specs are as follows : cpu -2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1024 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Not hyper-threaded

4 gig memory - vista 32bit home edition.

psu is a i think 750 watt case is in other room cant think off top of my head its 750 or 850 anyway.

and finally im unsure of how to find out my make or whathave u of my mobo. any advice will be greatly appreciated. Im freaking out as this powerful card is like a wet blanket or somthing i havent done is holding it back i dont know. Thanks again all jon.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Agreed, the cpu is bottlenecking. The card is essentially too fast for it, and is feeding it frames faster than what the cpu can handle it. So the cpu is choking on all the information essentially. You need to either oc the processor or upgrade the cpu. I know this because I've got an older Athlon x2, and a gts 450, and even with the x2 being 2.8 ghz, I'm getting bottlenecking, so I'm probably buying a new cpu to max out my old board this week.

Good news is that cpu's are cheap on ebay. I'm looking at an athlon ii x4 for under 70 bucks, or an athlon ii x3 for about 50 shipped. Although you've got the Phenom, realize that the higher clockspeed would help. Could look at one of those, and possibly sell your old processor for a cheap upgrade.