Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Hello,

i just assembled my PC :

CPU : intel I7 3930k
RAM: Corsair 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
M/B: Asus Rampage extreme IV
powersupply: 1000W seasonic platinum

my motherboard set the ram frequency at 1333Mhz but when i O.C to 2133 i think im experiences some blue screen unstable system. im still testing to confirm but how to achieve 2133Mhz without issue?

The RIVE should have no problems running memory at 2133 even though it's not officially supported by that CPU. Make sure that you use the XMP profile, don't enter the values manually.

The RIVE also has a tendency to bump the VCCSA/CPUVTT/CPUPLL voltages far higher than need be, into dangerous territory. This itself can introduce instability. If it sets them to 1.3+ volts you should set them manually to 1.2/1.2/2.0 at most. Additional PLL voltage may be needed to run high speed SDRAM or when 8 modules are used.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
This is why overclocking the RAM is virtually pointless. You will need to increase the voltage going to your CPU in order to overclock your RAM. Set the RAM to 1600-9-9-9 and you should be fine. If you are still unstable bump voltage to CPU until you are stable. There is absolutely no real world difference in 2133 and 1600.

First, if you simply set the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-2133 it will fail, so instead set the AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP with Profile 1, and if needed the VTTCPU & VCCSA Voltages; see (*) below. However, IF you also OC the CPU the RAM OC will fail more than likely and you'll need to add both Current and Phase controls.

If CPU is also OC'ed then add the following:

AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
/
VCCSA Load-Line Calibration -> Regular
VCCSA Current Capability -> 120%
/
DRAM AB Current Capability -> 120%
DRAM AB Power Phase Control -> Optimized
DRAM CD Current Capability -> 120%
DRAM CD Power Phase Control -> Optimized
/
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual *
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.10v~1.20v *
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.10v~1.20v *

* don't exceed 1.20v and match the VCCSA, a VTTCPU of 1.10v and VCCSA of 1.20v (max) is better. Both voltages do not need to match.

For the most part I agree. However, IF you also OC the CPU then there's a little more to it and even DDR3-1600 requires the above Voltages in addition to Current & Phase controls.

If the CPU is OC'ed then the RAM regardless will perform better.

Example DDR3-1600 with Stock vs OC CPU in a RAM Disk:

RamDisk-Testing-X79.jpg

Don't use AI Suite, it causes more problems than it solves; nice eye-candy. In fact unless you are using SSD Caching I'd uninstall it.

/Edit - I also assume the RAM is only installed in the 4x RED DIMM slots.

NO CPU OC:
F5
/If using RAID then SATA -> RAID
F10 Save & Exit = Yes
* Only if needed and chances are the XMP is loading a VCCSA of 1.20v.

CPU OC:
/
VCCSA Load-Line Calibration -> Regular
VCCSA Current Capability -> 120%
/
DRAM AB Current Capability -> 120%
DRAM AB Power Phase Control -> Optimized
DRAM CD Current Capability -> 120%
DRAM CD Power Phase Control -> Optimized
/
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.10v~1.20v *
F10 Save & Exit = Yes
* don't exceed 1.20v and match the VCCSA, a VTTCPU of 1.10v and VCCSA of 1.20v (max) is better. Both voltages do not need to match.

I am not including a "How to OC your CPU guide" there's another section in the Forum for that and I rarely am a part of CPU OC'ing. Doing it right takes time.

alz3abi

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

i will try to follow your steps and i will see what i will get.