Not happy with 2 5870's should I jump ship?

tschepp

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
On my recent build, I installed one 5870 Saphire Vapor X-100281VX-2SR. Wanted to give a little upgrade AFTER ABOUT ONE WEEK and added a second one (crossfire). I didn't notice any performance gains. More heat, more noise, but no real advantage on the gaming side. Not real sure why.

I'm concidering pulling the two cards, and just getting one "good" card. Good idea? Would I see a benefit spending say $500 on a new GPU? Or should I just be happy with what I have.

Some system stats:
i7960 OC to 4G
Asus P6X58D-E
6G RAM

Thanks for any input you can give.

tschepp

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Everything is installed and enabled properly. Maybe I'm just not savy enough to tell a difference. I blame the card when I get my butt kicked on Black Ops, and I didn't have a chance to shoot back! (HAHA).
Do you guys think that this set up is at a high enough performance level, (assuming that everything is working properly) that I should keep em?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Black Ops isn't very demanding so you were probably already at 60 fps with the single 5870. You won't see any gains in that game from an upgrade. If your lagging in a multi-player game it's probably your internet connection not your video card.

It depends on they resolution that you are playing at. The higher the resolution, the more of a difference you should see between a single HD 5780 and XFired HD 5780.

If you have Crysis, then use that compare performance differences. Enter the following command in the console to display your frame rates:

r_displayinfo = 1

You can also download a program called FRAPs to get an idea of your performance, however, FRAPs is somewhat demanding so I think you will take a 10% - 15% performance hit when using it, but you should still be able to tell the performance difference with XFired HD 5870s.