Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory upgrade for Dell Vostro 260

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
August 14, 2012 4:08:01 PM

I have recently upgraded one of my home computers and now I have an extra set of 1066 DDR3 sticks (8GB combined). My office computer is a Dell Vostro 260 with a Core i3-2120 and 4GB of 1333 DDR3 memory. Is it a worth the time to install the larger capacity/slower speed memory in the system? Currently the system is used for Office apps, PDF creation, email, and the occasional lunchtime Minecraft distraction. I do keep multiple windows/programs open at the same time (Right now I have Chrome, Word, Excel, Outlook, AIM, Acrobat Standard, and my Contract Software all open.) Thanks for the help.
August 14, 2012 4:13:14 PM

Main thing is, is that a 64bit or a 32 bit system? In a 64bit, more memory will definitely help, as you will probably not notice the minor difference in memory speed anyways. In a 32bit it would be a waste of time and resources, it will not be used anyways.

In short, if 64bit OS, do it, if 32bit OS, don't do it, IMO.
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:15:54 PM

house70 said:
Main thing is, is that a 64bit or a 32 bit system? In a 64bit, more memory will definitely help, as you will probably not notice the minor difference in memory speed anyways. In a 32bit it would be a waste of time and resources, it will not be used anyways.

Yea I guess I should have clarified that, yes, it is 64 bit Windows 7. I am also running the integrated video (HD 2000 I think) so I don't know if video performance will be impacted by the slower memory either.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 14, 2012 4:16:52 PM

wingraptor said:
Yea I guess I should have clarified that, yes, it is 64 bit Windows 7. I am also running the integrated video (HD 2000 I think) so I don't know if video performance will be impacted by the slower memory either.

In that case, I would go ahead and do it, esp. given that you keep multiple programs open at the same time.
August 14, 2012 4:23:35 PM

Best answer selected by wingraptor.
m
l
!