Memory upgrade for Dell Vostro 260

wingraptor

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I have recently upgraded one of my home computers and now I have an extra set of 1066 DDR3 sticks (8GB combined). My office computer is a Dell Vostro 260 with a Core i3-2120 and 4GB of 1333 DDR3 memory. Is it a worth the time to install the larger capacity/slower speed memory in the system? Currently the system is used for Office apps, PDF creation, email, and the occasional lunchtime Minecraft distraction. I do keep multiple windows/programs open at the same time (Right now I have Chrome, Word, Excel, Outlook, AIM, Acrobat Standard, and my Contract Software all open.) Thanks for the help.

Solution

In that case, I would go ahead and do it, esp. given that you keep multiple programs open at the same time.
Main thing is, is that a 64bit or a 32 bit system? In a 64bit, more memory will definitely help, as you will probably not notice the minor difference in memory speed anyways. In a 32bit it would be a waste of time and resources, it will not be used anyways.

In short, if 64bit OS, do it, if 32bit OS, don't do it, IMO.

wingraptor

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

Yea I guess I should have clarified that, yes, it is 64 bit Windows 7. I am also running the integrated video (HD 2000 I think) so I don't know if video performance will be impacted by the slower memory either.

In that case, I would go ahead and do it, esp. given that you keep multiple programs open at the same time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS