Your question

Best motherboard for wouldbe enthusiast

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Build
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 14, 2012 4:24:02 PM

Hello, I am new to this sort of thing, but am looking to build and continue to build upon a gaming pc for all platforms of pc gaming. I want to go very big with my computer... in the future. At the moment my budget is about 1100, I am having trouble with motherboards ( mostly because I am new to this and not sure what to do as far as quality for expansion later). I know enough to know that I will be needing a z77 chipset model for my ivy bridge processor and pcie 3.0 for my gtx 670 video card. Mostly I want to spend as little as possible which means that when I go to upgrade my system later I do not want to have to get a new motherboard; also this means I want to go as cheap as possible now while maintaining what I just said. I am not super familiar with a lot of the more special features on most boards so any insight on that would be appreciated as well.

My build

CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
Case: Rosewill R5 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case
(potential) Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 189.99 I would love to go cheaper than this if I can without compromising quality/expandability.

Thank you for any and all input details into why you made your choice would be awesome.

More about : motherboard wouldbe enthusiast

August 14, 2012 4:29:56 PM

I also would appreciate any input on the power supply I have chosen. The way I am thinking about it is I really should not need any more wattage than I have in this one until I decide to sli this card in the future. So I went cheaper now to fit my budget and I figured I could upgrade later let me know if this is a dumb choice or not because I would like an un-fried computer =P. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 14, 2012 5:07:26 PM

Here is a really good article from Tom's http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-ivy-bri...

They rank the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 very highly. I would check to see you can do everything that you would like to do with that board.

As far as a PSU I would look at this PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it comes with a 5 year warranty and has a good reputation for reliability. It is on sale right now for $89 and has rebated to bring it down to $69.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:50:04 PM

I looked around at a few other forum posts with similar topics, and found that the ASRock z77 Extreme4 is mentioned quite a bit so I do think I will be going with that one. As far as power supply, again this is my first build and I am looking for something that will tide me over for about six months to a year or until I get a second GPU. I took a look at this one and it looks great, decent reviews, nice 5 year warranty. This is most likely what I will go for in terms of my PSU unless anyone has any other major input on the one I selected originally or this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Thanks for the info IntelEnthusiast.
m
l
August 17, 2012 1:42:46 PM

I'm looking into an amd build to save a few bucks are there no amd compatible boards with pci express 3.0? I can't seem to find one.
m
l
August 17, 2012 2:07:03 PM

Basically I am looking for the best processor for gaming... period I have the graphics card to basically run any game I want on ultra and I want a processor that is the best combination of power/price. I like the processor I have picked out but the integrated graphics really mean nothing to me... I think. There are a few other features that come with that CPU that aren't completely necessary for what I am looking for as well. I just want speed and efficiency under full load. I play wow which I hear is a very cpu intensive game. I raid and pvp at a very high level in the top 100 us range usually so my system needs to be effective for any and all content. Some things I have read are telling me that amd is a waste of time because it isn't consistent and other reviews I've read say intel is only worth your time if you are going to use it for a plethora of other things besides gaming.
m
l
!