Strange issue with Video Card / Auxiliary Power(?)

DcS

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Situation is kind of odd.. never had anything happen like this. I thought my Video Card was going bad but I tested it in another machine and it works perfectly.

When I boot the computer I get strange vertical colorization that you might expect if the video card was going bad on the hardware side. Can't get into windows at all unless its in 640x480 safe mode, and even then it isn't detected as an ATI (it's a HIS IceQ Turbo 6970). I can put a card in the same slot that does not have the need for auxiliary power and it works perfectly. I tested another card that needs Aux power and I didn't even get a bios/boot screen, just black the entire time. The only thing I can think of is that the aux power cables have gone bad... does that seem reasonable or is there something else that could be causing this issue that I'm missing?

DcS

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I thought of that briefly but what on the motherboard? All the pci-e slots seem to be working fine and the computer is perfectly stable with a pci-e card that doesn't require aux power. Is there something in particular that regulates the aux power to the video card? I always just assumed you got it the power from the psu and that was that.

DcS

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Corsair HW850X.. here's the basics.

2500k, usually running @ 4.3 but I dropped it back to stock to troubleshoot.
HIS IceQ Turbo 6970
ASRock P67 Extreme4
8GB GSkill RipjawX 1600 8-8-8-24
Corsair HW850X

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
what brand was the Non-Aux powered card
and what brand was the other Aux req'd card?

i have seen issues where you get a problem with the display driver and AND card by that manafacturer (Nvidia or ATI) will cause the problem but changing it with a card from the other vendor works fine)

i would suggest using something like CCleaner to whipe the ATI drivers and try new ones fresh.