Nikon NEF/RAW Conversion

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 24, 2005 12:44:50 AM

I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7 on my
PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
Photoshop. Is the supplied Nikon software able to do this or do I need a
third party item?
March 24, 2005 12:44:51 AM

JackN wrote:

> I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7 on my
> PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
> Photoshop. Is the supplied Nikon software able to do this or do I need a
> third party item?

Yep, it works great. You just need to download the latest plugin from
Adobe. Perhaps the Nikon Capture software (costs extra) is a bit better
quality but it's slower & confusing to use for me. The camera also comes
with mediocre software that overwrites the adobe plugin so install the
plugin after the Nikon software. You may still need to manually delete
those Nikon files in the PS plugin folder.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:44:51 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:44:50 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital "JackN"
<jackn@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7 on my
>PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
>Photoshop. Is the supplied Nikon software able to do this or do I need a
>third party item?

Nikon Picture Project supplied with the camera, or better yet NikonView
available off the Nikon Tech Support web site will install a plug-in the PS
that will allow you to process the raw NEF files with minimal adjustments.
You can either upgrade to CS or buy either Nikon Capture or any number of
3rd party solutions if you want more control over the process.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 24, 2005 12:44:51 AM

>I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7
on my
>PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
>Photoshop.

Use the Nikon software to convert the RAW file to tiff, which you can
edit with Photoshop 7.

You might also look at other RAW converters, these are often better
than the ones shipped with the cameras (for sure this is the case with
Canon, I dunno about Nikons). You can try Capture One's three
converters for free for 60 days total (30 days Pro, 15 days each SE and
LE), or you can pick up the new RawShooter Essentials converter from
Pixmantic, which is similar to C1 LE but is free. Both of these work
fine with the D70 files.

Bill
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:44:52 AM

paul wrote:
> JackN wrote:
>
>> I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7
>> on my
>> PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
>> Photoshop. Is the supplied Nikon software able to do this or do I need a
>> third party item?
>

> Yep, it works great. You just need to download the latest plugin from
> Adobe. Perhaps the Nikon Capture software (costs extra) is a bit better
> quality but it's slower & confusing to use for me. The camera also comes
> with mediocre software that overwrites the adobe plugin so install the
> plugin after the Nikon software. You may still need to manually delete
> those Nikon files in the PS plugin folder.

It's my understanding that although Adobe originally allowed it's RAW
plug-in to work with PS7, they later disabled that compatibility, and as
of now, you need PSCS to use the RAW plug-in. Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong here.

Mike
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:44:52 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:43:34 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
<paul@not.net> wrote:

>Yep, it works great. You just need to download the latest plugin from
>Adobe.

Nope, he's using PS7, you're talking about ACR which is part of CS.
----------

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7
> on my
> >PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
> >Photoshop.
>
> Use the Nikon software to convert the RAW file to tiff, which you can
> edit with Photoshop 7.
>
> You might also look at other RAW converters, these are often better
> than the ones shipped with the cameras (for sure this is the case with
> Canon, I dunno about Nikons). You can try Capture One's three
> converters for free for 60 days total (30 days Pro, 15 days each SE and
> LE), or you can pick up the new RawShooter Essentials converter from
> Pixmantic, which is similar to C1 LE but is free. Both of these work
> fine with the D70 files.
>
> Bill

PS Elements 3 does a good job on D70 NEF files but has no curves like Nikon
Capture
March 24, 2005 12:44:53 AM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:43:34 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
> <paul@not.net> wrote:
>

>>Yep, it works great. You just need to download the latest plugin from
>>Adobe.
>

> Nope, he's using PS7, you're talking about ACR which is part of CS.

Oops, sorry. I heard it works on the 'light' version (Elements?) so
assumed it would be OK on 7.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:44:54 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:47:36 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
<paul@not.net> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:43:34 -0800, in rec.photo.digital paul
>> <paul@not.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Yep, it works great. You just need to download the latest plugin from
>>>Adobe.
>>

>> Nope, he's using PS7, you're talking about ACR which is part of CS.
>

>Oops, sorry. I heard it works on the 'light' version (Elements?) so
>assumed it would be OK on 7.

Not, if you mean PSE3. This has the built in raw support similar to ACR in
PS, IIRC. PS& had a separately sold raw converter add-on, which was
discontinued when CS was released.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 24, 2005 1:14:23 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:21:45 -0500, "Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com>
wrote:

>"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7
>> on my
>> >PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit them in
>> >Photoshop.
>>
>> Use the Nikon software to convert the RAW file to tiff, which you can
>> edit with Photoshop 7.
>>
>> You might also look at other RAW converters, these are often better
>> than the ones shipped with the cameras (for sure this is the case with
>> Canon, I dunno about Nikons). You can try Capture One's three
>> converters for free for 60 days total (30 days Pro, 15 days each SE and
>> LE), or you can pick up the new RawShooter Essentials converter from
>> Pixmantic, which is similar to C1 LE but is free. Both of these work
>> fine with the D70 files.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>PS Elements 3 does a good job on D70 NEF files but has no curves like Nikon
>Capture

See hiddenelements.com. The book and CD they publish has curves and a
lot more for PS Elelements 3. There's one for PS Elements 2 also.
These tools bring elements very close to CS at a fraction of the cost.
I have $85 invested in Elelements 3 and the Hidden Powers book and
tools.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:27:29 AM

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm going to buy a Nikon D70 in the next few weeks. I have Photoshop 7
> on my PC. How do I convert the Nikon 'RAW' files so that I can edit
> them in Photoshop. Is the supplied Nikon software able to do this or
> do I need a third party item?

Unfortunately, the only Adobe RAW converter that works on PS7 (and costs
$99) won't support the D70.
!