Temperature of GPU and Fan Issue

blackhade

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
Hey guys, I made a homebuild a few months ago and I was wondering about my gpu's temperature. I have the NVIDIA 470 and I have a thermaltake Element G, I looked on some forums about temperature and someone said safe is mid sixties, well I am using vtune and it says my fand are at 44% with a GPU temperature of 72C, this sketches me out a bit, when I turn fans to 54% they get a bit louder and my GPU goes down to 63C. Bottom line is in dynamic cooling fans are at 44% with 72C is it safe to put fans on 54%? and my Element G's rear fan is not working could I get help with that too? Thanks, Regards.

jackofhearts495

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I've got an EVGA GTX470 as well, and temperatures are around 60C idle and upwards of 80C+ under load. I'm pretty sure that 470's are pretty toasty in general, but case temps can affect your temps as well.

Keep in mind that nVidia and EVGA claim that only at temps of 100C+ will damage the GPU (short- or long-term), but having temps as low as possible will still prolong the life of your card.

Try some better case fans, or when it doubt, get an aftermarket cooler for you 470 (I recommend the Zalman VF300F).

Running that card at 72c is not an issue if you at load if its at idle then yea its bad, the rear fan not working is probably just teh power cable coming loose or some such check it out if it looks ok then just change the fan they are not expensive.

Mactronix :)

Yes thats good a lot better, most card makers will set a default fan curve that keeps the fan quiet and the temps within whats considered a safe area. My XFX is like this when i overclocked it anything above 50% on the fan was to much noise wise but it didn't need to run above 45% to keep the card cool at max load. I did what you have and set a manual profile.

Mactronix :)