Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Convert front USB 3.0 ports to 2.0?

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2011 1:46:48 AM

Hello,

I built a computer using a Lian Li V354B case, which has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. My motherboard only supports USB 2.0 in the front. The case came with a small cable that was able to make the conversion so these front ports would function as USB 2.0 instead.

Unfortunately, when assembling the computer I used too much force and broke one of the pins on this cable. Little did I know how hard it would be to find a replacement.

I'm not interested in PCIe card solutions or running a usb cable from the back of my computer, through the case and into the front, I just want this exact same cable that is now broken to be replaced with a working cable. I've googled endlessly and these seem to be the only solutions out there. I haven't even been able to find a picture of the cable I'm talking about, so here's a pic I took:

My question is where can I buy a replacement cable? I didn't even see this cable for sale on Lian Li's website, so I've sent a help request to their support, but in case that doesn't help, I wanted to come here and ask this knowledgeable community too.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2011 3:25:58 AM

Now that looks like a standard converter cable, if you fail to find the cable, I would advice a very simple thing, as in the picture you can see the only cable that doesn't have a pin is the Red wire, all you need to do now is be a little handy with pincers and a soldering gun.
Open one of the older cables that you may have lying around, dis-assemble it , remove a single pin from it by either de-soldering it from the old wire or de-crimping it. De-crimping is not done and is not easy so you can just cut the cable end.
Use the same pin in this cable and either solder the red wire or crimp it on.

And if none of this seems viable, get your self a paper pin, cut the pointed tip off so it becomes flat, remove the red wire from this cable, solder it to that paper pin, connect this onto the USB3 header on the board and push the pin in thru the hole you got the red wire out off , very slowly and very gently. It'll work perfectly, later you can cut off the excess of the paper pin from the base so it would not touch or be in the way of any other things on the mobo.
Related resources
November 23, 2011 3:40:21 PM

Hey guys just wanted to follow up and give the end of this story. After seeing these suggestions, I tried emailing lian li and asking them where I can buy one. I didn't want to solder if I didn't have to. They responded the same day asking for my shipping address and just shipped me one. It arrived today from China. No charge. Still couldn't find the cable for sale anywhere, but I just plugged it in and it works great.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 24, 2011 8:11:12 AM

Now ain't that great......
Score
November 24, 2011 7:29:49 PM

guess some of that premium you pay for lian li goes to customer support, this actually gave me some faith in call centres
Score
November 24, 2011 8:38:20 PM

Best answer selected by papabri.
Score
!