Sign in with
Your question

Would an external pci air duct help videocard temps?

Last response: in Components
November 14, 2011 4:06:22 AM

Hi there,

I am curious if an external air duct like the one on the CM ACTS840 help in reducing the temps for video cards. I'm planning on making one for my rig if it helps the temps. Has there been a test done on this? Can someone help me?
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 4:34:06 AM

open your case :) 
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:08:33 AM

If the video card is overheating it is an indication that your case does not have adequate ventilation.
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:13:28 AM

Its not overheating. Actually my temps are quite good. I just want to do a mod for my case.

So before I waste time and effort on making something like this I want to find out if there are significant results. (the logic is nice but dont know how effective it is)
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 5:22:08 AM

Buy a case fan and put it on the side :p 
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 5:22:29 AM

If the temps are quite good, then there really is no point....................................
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:36:41 AM

The reason for the question was to find a better way to exhaust the heat of the GPU and I saw how the ACTS has the air duct thus I want to know if it is effective.
Well i just want to exhaust the heat my GPU creates out of the case and not inside so my other components don't get the heat.

Oh yeah with a High OC my max temps is about 65C at ambient 30C (under a few rounds of benchmark testing). During gaming its about 52C.
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 5:37:58 AM

shoot you said:
The reason for the question was to find a better way to exhaust the heat of the GPU and I saw how the ACTS has the air duct thus I want to know if it is effective.
Well i just want to exhaust the heat my GPU creates out of the case and not inside so my other components don't get the heat.

Oh yeah with a High OC my max temps is about 65C at ambient 30C (under a few rounds of benchmark testing). During gaming its about 52C.

Those are great temperatures.
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:59:59 AM

Thanks amuffin. I have a few more mods to do for my side panel but i still have to measure it properly to fit.

So did anyone with an ACTS or a similar mod to the external air duct see a difference with it?
m
l
November 14, 2011 8:17:19 AM

cant spare any pci slots my gpu cooler is 3 slots wide and going to SLI. But yeah I heard those would help a bit but again dont know by how much it would reduce temps.
m
l
!