Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel i5 2500k or wait for ivy bridge?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Build
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 14, 2011 5:14:31 AM

guys, i was planning to build my own computer system in December. my budget is $1000. but the ivy bridge is nearly to be release. should i wait on ivy bridge or buy my own system in December? what is your opinion? btw $1000 can build good ivy bridge system? tnx!

More about : intel 2500k wait ivy bridge

a c 186 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 5:17:44 AM

Ivybridge will still use socket 1155, for now build an i5-2500k machine and make sure you get a z68 board.. Then, in about 1 year from now upgrade to ivybridge.
m
0
l
a c 487 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 5:27:42 AM

$1000 should be fine as long as you are not considering a $500 - $600 video card or other excessively expensive component.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 5:30:27 AM

Oh wow ivy is already coming out this year??? i thought it was going to come out next year in q4! :o 
m
0
l
a c 487 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 5:37:28 AM

Sorry, but the title of that article was misleading...

Upon further reading:

Quote:
Intel also stated that Ivy bridge is on target for a late Q4 "qualification for sale", which means that Intel will be begin shipping final products to its customers in the second half of the quarter. This will allow Intel to maintain its tick-tock cadence and keep the claim that a production shrink has been introduced in yet another uneven year (and so that it can state that its 22 nm chips were released in 2011). Of course, that does not mean that you will be able to buy those chips in 2011. According to Otellini, first Ivy Bridge systems should become available in Spring 2012. As Ivy Bridge is introduced and ramping up, Intel expects that its profit margins will improve as well.


So it looks like Spring 2012 after all.
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 6:59:25 AM

in $1000 video card is out on the budget..
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 8:00:02 AM

Looking to your budget it would be better for you to go with your own system right now instead of getting Ivy Bridge, as its release date is not yet fixed and latter on after getting its reviews you can upgrade your system.
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 11:50:37 AM

userngalan said:
in $1000 video card is out on the budget..


well that's silly, not even a little baby <100$ dedicated?

Otherwise you are going to spend 1000$ on a decent box and have it stutter when you want to drag a window across the screen because of on-board limitation?
m
0
l
a c 159 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 12:17:05 PM

Ivy bridge is here, but very expensive. Newegg has the 3930K "E" series six core sandy bridge for $599.99. I believe this is ivy bridge. My link doesn't work.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2011 1:09:48 PM

o1die said:
Ivy bridge is here, but very expensive. Newegg has the 3930K "E" series six core sandy bridge for $599.99. I believe this is ivy bridge. My link doesn't work.


No, this is Sandy Bridge-E

Intel have two lines of products
Mainstream - Sandy Bridge, and future Ivy Bridge
Enthusiast - Sandy Bridge-E, and future Ivy Bridge-E
m
0
l
a c 487 à CPUs
November 14, 2011 1:23:22 PM

vitornob said:
No, this is Sandy Bridge-E



Do'h!!!!!

Beaten to the punch. I was gonna say that.

Anyway, getting back to the OP's question... If you want to build a PC in December, then you might as well go with Sandy Bridge and then upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on if the performance difference is big enough to justify an upgrade. I expect that Ivy Bridge will have a relatively small increase in performance compared to Sandy Bridge. Assuming the same clockspeed, probably a 6% performance increase since the architecture is pretty mature, and most of Intel's efforts to boost CPU performance is going towards Haswell. We just have to wait for benchmarks....

If you think your current PC can last you until March 2012, then perhaps you can wait a bit longer. But that is up to you to decide. I'm pretty content with the performance of my Q9450 so I'm not itching for an upgrade yet. Perhaps it's performance will still be good enough for me last until Haswell is release, then again perhaps not.

If you are definitely going to upgrade in December 2011, then you might want to find out exactly when the Radeon HD 7000 series is being release in December. I think they will be releasing the HD 7900 and 7800 lines, but I'm not positive. Of course if you intend to get a nVidia card, then this info doesn't apply.
m
0
l
November 15, 2011 2:45:24 AM

userngalan said:
in $1000 video card is out on the budget..

so you will not use any videocard?
m
0
l
November 15, 2011 3:05:57 AM

jaguarskx said:
Do'h!!!!!

Beaten to the punch. I was gonna say that.

Anyway, getting back to the OP's question... If you want to build a PC in December, then you might as well go with Sandy Bridge and then upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on if the performance difference is big enough to justify an upgrade. I expect that Ivy Bridge will have a relatively small increase in performance compared to Sandy Bridge. Assuming the same clockspeed, probably a 6% performance increase since the architecture is pretty mature, and most of Intel's efforts to boost CPU performance is going towards Haswell. We just have to wait for benchmarks....

If you think your current PC can last you until March 2012, then perhaps you can wait a bit longer. But that is up to you to decide. I'm pretty content with the performance of my Q9450 so I'm not itching for an upgrade yet. Perhaps it's performance will still be good enough for me last until Haswell is release, then again perhaps not.

If you are definitely going to upgrade in December 2011, then you might want to find out exactly when the Radeon HD 7000 series is being release in December. I think they will be releasing the HD 7900 and 7800 lines, but I'm not positive. Of course if you intend to get a nVidia card, then this info doesn't apply.


tnx for the advice. but i dont have desktop yet.. maybe i will go on sandy bridge and wait for haswell for my future upgrade
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 1:08:32 PM

userngalan said:
tnx for the advice. but i dont have desktop yet.. maybe i will go on sandy bridge and wait for haswell for my future upgrade


Haswell won't be compatible with a Sandy Bridge compatible motherboard.
m
0
l
a c 154 à CPUs
November 25, 2011 3:11:06 PM

At this point Ivy Bridges will be out soon so I would just say wait it shouldn't be that long now until it's released.
m
0
l
November 29, 2011 2:54:12 AM

isn't ivy bridge coming out in march/april of 2012? seems a little far away, so i'd stick with something cheap or get an i5 2500k now and upgrade around this time next year if it matters to you
m
0
l
November 29, 2011 3:15:33 AM

anon92 said:
Haswell won't be compatible with a Sandy Bridge compatible motherboard.

i know that :) 
m
0
l
!