At3iont i -deluxe accidentally plugged in 19v instead of 12v

sanael2012

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
hello everybody, this is my first post here, i hope im not too slow... hehehe

anyway.. i bought a htpc AT3IONT I - DELUXE

it runs on 12v power supply... which looks exactly like my laptop charger...
i accidentally plugged in my 19v laptop power charger.....

it started once, then died, i tried a few times and it kind of made less sound each time
the harddrive spinning less and less time... until it only made a kind of click... ... i disconnected the power supply once it didnt make any sound. (i know this was a little slow)

only then did i notice it was the wrong power supply.... imagine my fury and dissapointment

oh well i can solder smd i have tried before and it worked... my question is... what the hell could be burnt?
how do i test parts... as you can imagine the parts are pretty small...

but what am i looking for? the caps seem all to be ok... no burnt smell or nothing...

thanx .....

sanael

drums101

Distinguished
so did they send you the parts with the wrong power brick/cable? if so you should RMA the whole thing and get a new one from asus...if that wasnt the case and you just accidentally hooked it up to the wrong cable you should still try to RMA it...since this is a htpc solution without a psu there is probably not any protection built in to prevent issues like this from frying your mainboard...this is probably what you did.....I would RMA the system to ASUS and try to test all of the components that you added in one by one in a different system to see if you took them down too....if you did indeed fry the motherboard you are screwed there is nothing you can solder that would fix this

sanael2012

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
yeah my thoughts too... rma is impossible since i dont have t he receipt anymore.. my moms pesky cleaning lady threw it out

thanx for your time anyway guys...